Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
is this a factory ctr stock with a paint job? what kind of bipod attachment is that? great rig!
page 59 he has the specs.

McMillan Game Hunter w/ EDGE fill

Antares,​

I have the same Leopold VX3 and am looking at that same NXS how do you like it? also did you do all of the stock work?

Antares

WKR
page 59 he has the specs.

McMillan Game Hunter w/ EDGE fill

Antares,​

I have the same Leopold VX3 and am looking at that same NXS how do you like it? also did you do all of the stock work?

Correct, mine is a McMillan Game Hunter, but I think @Valsport was asking about a different post from @Muley Buck.

I just mounted the NXS yesterday, so not much experience with it yet. Check back in a few months. That said, I can already tell that I like eyebox much better. I had a hard time getting comfortable behind the VX3, but this NXS is very easy to get behind in comparison.

is this a factory ctr stock with a paint job? what kind of bipod attachment is that? great rig!
Thank you Yes!
Yes it is a factory CTR stock.
Post in thread 'Painting a stock' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/painting-a-stock.165948/post-1935381

The rail is a Seekins.

Coastie6

FNG
WOW! Some great builds here. I'm on this thread to benefit from the collective knowledge of those who have walked the path, and in most cases, MUCH further than I will be traveling. o_O

I purchased a used Tikka T3x Superlite (Cabela's variant) in 6.5 CM to have fun shooting steel out to some longer distances than I usually do hunting. If I like the rifle and the 6.5 CM round I may also occasionally use it whitetail hunting. Anyhow, my budget isn't big but I want to make upgrades that will make noticeable improvements.

For glass, my thought was I'd get a Leupold VX Freedom Creedmoor scope. Not top shelf, but good for me and within budget. For reference, the best scope I have is a VX3. I'm struggling with ring choice. I want something in line with the cost of the scope they're mounting, but they need to be solid. Really don't see a need to install a tactical rail and I'm intrigued with the option to use the built-in dovetail on the Tikka or something with integral bases. What do you guys recommend; Warne 1TM, Talley Lightweights or something completely different.

Other planned upgrades are Mountain Tactical OEM metal bottom, recoil lug, and possibly the bolt stop. I'm also considering their magazines if the consensus is they are worth the additional cost. Appreciate input, especially on the scope rings. Thanks!

BAKPAKR

WKR
WOW! Some great builds here. I'm on this thread to benefit from the collective knowledge of those who have walked the path, and in most cases, MUCH further than I will be traveling. o_O

I purchased a used Tikka T3x Superlite (Cabela's variant) in 6.5 CM to have fun shooting steel out to some longer distances than I usually do hunting. If I like the rifle and the 6.5 CM round I may also occasionally use it whitetail hunting. Anyhow, my budget isn't big but I want to make upgrades that will make noticeable improvements.

For glass, my thought was I'd get a Leupold VX Freedom Creedmoor scope. Not top shelf, but good for me and within budget. For reference, the best scope I have is a VX3. I'm struggling with ring choice. I want something in line with the cost of the scope they're mounting, but they need to be solid. Really don't see a need to install a tactical rail and I'm intrigued with the option to use the built-in dovetail on the Tikka or something with integral bases. What do you guys recommend; Warne 1TM, Talley Lightweights or something completely different.

Other planned upgrades are Mountain Tactical OEM metal bottom, recoil lug, and possibly the bolt stop. I'm also considering their magazines if the consensus is they are worth the additional cost. Appreciate input, especially on the scope rings. Thanks!
You won’t be able dial with the Leupold you are considering and that would limit its usefulness at longer ranges. If you are going to start out primarily shooting targets, I would suggest buying an in stock 10X SWFA. Then, if you decide you want to hunt with it, watch for a 6X or 3-9x SWFA.

I haven’t actually used one of the 6Xs but I have been watching for one. I do have a 10X and two 3-9s. The mil-quad at 6X on the 3-9 would work fine for me in most hunting situations.

No person experience with the warne rings, but they look solid.

The mountain tactical bottom metal is only worth it if you aren't a fan of the plastic dbm that it comes with. Not much functionally different.

The mt tactical mags will hang out of the bottom further than factory and also not really worth it. Also I found out that metal on metal in a hunting scenario is a lot louder than metal on plastic, so I would suggest one or the other, not both.

The T3X comes with a steel recoil lug so not much reason to upgrade. The older T3 come with an aluminum one that's worth upgrading.

The only reason IMHO to change the bolt stop is if you are switching from short to long action.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Does anyone have any feedback using a DNZ mount on their tikka? It’s what I’m currently looking at trying on mine, I like the idea of a one piece mount

Coastie6

FNG
No person experience with the warne rings, but they look solid.

The mountain tactical bottom metal is only worth it if you aren't a fan of the plastic dbm that it comes with. Not much functionally different.

The mt tactical mags will hang out of the bottom further than factory and also not really worth it. Also I found out that metal on metal in a hunting scenario is a lot louder than metal on plastic, so I would suggest one or the other, not both.

The T3X comes with a steel recoil lug so not much reason to upgrade. The older T3 come with an aluminum one that's worth upgrading.

The only reason IMHO to change the bolt stop is if you are switching from short to long action.
Great info, exactly what I'm looking for regarding input on possible upgrades. I'm unsure what year the rifle is. What year did they go to the steel recoil lug?

Coastie6

FNG
You won’t be able dial with the Leupold you are considering and that would limit its usefulness at longer ranges. If you are going to start out primarily shooting targets, I would suggest buying an in stock 10X SWFA. Then, if you decide you want to hunt with it, watch for a 6X or 3-9x SWFA.

I haven’t actually used one of the 6Xs but I have been watching for one. I do have a 10X and two 3-9s. The mil-quad at 6X on the 3-9 would work fine for me in most hunting situations.
Appreciate the response. Yes, understand not going to be dialing the scope it's a holdover BDC reticle for the 6.5 CM. Zero at 200 the holdover marks for 300 - 500. It's probably all I need for what I'm going to do. But, I may just wait and go with a NF SHV or Trij Credo. All these companies and others offer a very generous discount to disabled veterans. Even with the discount, the NF and Trij are 3x the cost of the Leupold. We shall see how finances go. Any preferences on rings?

Great info, exactly what I'm looking for regarding input on possible upgrades. I'm unsure what year the rifle is. What year did they go to the steel recoil lug?
If it's a T3X I believe it's steel. Older T3 are aluminum. You can upgrade it to titanium I guess, but not much weight savings there. I would maybe look at getting your barrel and action Cerakote before other little cosmetic upgrades since it will help with weatherproofing.

There are the warne and Talley rings you mentioned and then Hawkins and Spuhr for direct mount otherwise it's a rail and your choice of Picatinny rings.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Appreciate the response. Yes, understand not going to be dialing the scope it's a holdover BDC reticle for the 6.5 CM. Zero at 200 the holdover marks for 300 - 500. It's probably all I need for what I'm going to do. But, I may just wait and go with a NF SHV or Trij Credo. All these companies and others offer a very generous discount to disabled veterans. Even with the discount, the NF and Trij are 3x the cost of the Leupold. We shall see how finances go. Any preferences on rings?
I have Hawkins Hybrids on my 6.5 and my daughter has Talleys on her 223. I have a set of Sportsmatch waiting for our next T3X (probably a 6.5 or 7mm-08 for her).

What are y’all seeing as POI shifts when using a can. I’m getting close to 7 mil difference at 100 yards with my T3X veil. It’s looking like this is going to be going to the Smith to put a proof on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What are y’all seeing as POI shifts when using a can. I’m getting close to 7 mil difference at 100 yards with my T3X veil. It’s looking like this is going to be going to the Smith to put a proof on.

7 mil? Not .7 mil?

If it’s 7 full Mils you’re getting baffle strikes and your stuff is broken. If it’s .7 mil, that’s par the course. You will have a POI difference between suppressed and unsuppressed with any barrel, even a Proof.

LightFoot

WKR

I have .5 mil shift elevation and .2 mil windage between suppressed and not. That's with 150 SP in a 300 WIN.

7mil seems to be quite significant.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk