Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

525xcw

FNG
Those of you using a Proof carbon barrel with Sendero contour, What ring hight for 30mm tube with 50mm objective?

Antares

WKR
Those of you using a Proof carbon barrel with Sendero contour, What ring hight for 30mm tube with 50mm objective?

I have Talley lows with a 30mm tube and a 44mm objective. It's so close I can barely get my neoprene cover in between the objective and the barrel. I'd say you probably want highs for a 50mm objective. Talley highs are 0.710" for reference. Hope that helps.

It's a Tikka action with a Proof CF Sendero contour barrel.

BrentH

WKR
Going thru all 74 pages of this thread in one night may have pushed me over the edge. If my starting point was a T3X in .300 WM, what are my best options for caliber? Leaving it as a .300wm, going 300wsm, something else? This would be a rifle I use for Elk and other larger animals, as I also have a 6.5cm I am currently using for deer. I don’t reload, so factory ammo is a bonus.

Going thru all 74 pages of this thread in one night may have pushed me over the edge. If my starting point was a T3X in .300 WM, what are my best options for caliber? Leaving it as a .300wm, going 300wsm, something else? This would be a rifle I use for Elk and other larger animals, as I also have a 6.5cm I am currently using for deer. I don’t reload, so factory ammo is a bonus.
I think factory ammo in WM should be no problem. Guys who reload like the WSM over the WM because of the magazine length limitations with heavy bullets. That sucker is going to kick without a brake..

BrentH

WKR
I think factory ammo in WM should be no problem. Guys who reload like the WSM over the WM because of the magazine length limitations with heavy bullets. That sucker is going to kick without a brake..
Thanks. If I do it, it will be getting a brake. I had just saw some mentions of issues with the 300wm, but wasn’t sure if that was isolated for guys trying to load the longer heavier bullets.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. If I do it, it will be getting a brake. I had just saw some mentions of issues with the 300wm, but wasn’t sure if that was isolated for guys trying to load the longer heavier bullets.
Tikkas have some slower trusts as well. Though they make the win mag in a 10 twist now.

Tikkas are generally not favored for long action cartridges because the action size basically limits the overall length to 3.35”. Factory ammo for the most part should work just fine for you.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tikka eh1 showed up. 39oz with UL cheek piece and all spacers, mini chassis, flush cups x2 and tapped 4 places in the fore end.

My carbon rifle was a no go in it. The shank wasn’t cut for a 1.2” barrel like is on my HCA barreled rifle (even though 1.17 was ordered and was what the first barrel was). Rather than send it it I figured I’d see if I prefer it over the adjustable game scout… I think I do already.

4227419F-A252-4E92-8B25-80EF2277D2E8.jpeg

Gutshotem

WKR
For those of you shooting shorter barrels, whats your thoughts on cutting a .300 WSM factory barrel to 16"-18" and running a 5" TB?

Nice little light 5-600 you gun with an Alterra stock whenever they get caught up?

I do not reload yet.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looking good.
It’s a hair nose heavy with the new stock. Not as much weight in the back as the adjustable game scout but tolerable.

The eh1 was lighter than my edge tech adjustable game scout by an ounce. After doing a little shooting today I think this stock will be staying on the 223. Need to find something for the game scout now, I just can’t justify selling.

For those of you shooting shorter barrels, whats your thoughts on cutting a .300 WSM factory barrel to 16"-18" and running a 5" TB?

Nice little light 5-600 you gun with an Alterra stock whenever they get caught up?

I do not reload yet.
Most 300 wsm box velo’s are with 24” barrels. Subtract 30-40 fps per inch and run some numbers. I’ve heard the .300wsm drops off pretty hard after 18” or 20” can’t remember which. I ended up having a 20”
300wsm built to run suppressed. And if my velocity ends up close to what I think it should be that gets me out to 800+ on paper

Bigtex46

FNG
shouldn't have opened this thread..... time to start parts shopping again. Have one more donor left.

dmike

FNG
Then and now... 7Mag. AG Composites Privateer, Proof barrel, CTR bolt, Mountain tactical bottom/mag. Miss the stock configuration from time to time, but the threaded barrel has been nice for running a suppressor and making the 7mag a real pleasant caliber to shoot.
Tikka 7mag.jpgtikka 7mag 1.jpg