Lets see your hunting/daily driver rig (Pics)

Vandy321

WKR
ADS, trimmed for 37s, re-geared, ARB lockers, sliders, full skids, Total chaos UCA/LCA, 700lb springs...next up is a GFC camper and awning so I can bring the wife/kids/dogs on scouting trips and have them hang at camp.20201007_194613.jpg

Last edited:

KClark

WKR
Headed out on a weekend scouting trip.

PVRLrcW.jpg

Decided I wanted a newer truck a few weeks back. The 2013 has 61,700 miles on it and the 91 has 343,000 miles and tons of life left.

Attachments

• 20201220_152956.jpg
    20201220_152956.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 112
Its bizarre to me seeing someone with a Tahoe talk about something being too big for a trail. Your truck wouldn't fit down the majority of roads here without some major scratching. Let along what would happen if you actually got onto the trails.

Its interesting to see the differences depending on where people are, what they consider a "big" or "capable" vehicle.

If you want to get into the bush here, its all suzuki, older jeeps, or toyotas. We don't need much horsepower, just a small nimble vehicle. What people are calling offroad or rock crawling is what some of our fireroads look like after a good rain. But then, we don't get the deep sticky clay where you needs gobs of horsepower to clean your tires out. We just have gravel roads washed away until they're down to bedrock, or roads turn into rivers.

A Tahoe has a much smaller footprint than a Raptor.
Brush on the side of the trail doesn't matter a bit. I don't care a bit about scratches. Some people add pinstripes on purpose! Im talking about real obstacles like two large rocks or a rock and a drop off that you need to fit through. Around here a trail is either big enough for standard size vehicles, or its for <50". Some full size pickups just won't make it though.

The roads you drive on have/had GRAVEL on them? Thats what I call a "road". A "trail" is a path on NATIVE MATERIAL.
I've taken that Tahoe a long ways up Providence Canyon, which is a class 8 trail. I know what real rock crawling is and I know that a Tahoe is not nearly the most capable vehicle out there.
A Ford Rapter has a wheelbase of 133-163 vs my Tahoe at 116. Clearance is the same: 8.5 plus 3" front 1.5 rear lift plus 2" tire diameter= 11.5 (same as a raptor). So I have a significantly better break over angle because of a shorter wheel base.

I can go the same places as my brother in his lightly modified 3rd gen 4 runner.

A properly modded Tahoe is one if the most capable vehicles that can carry 7-9 people.

A Raptor has more suspension travel and would be more capable in some situations, like baja racing, or steep, loose hills (assuming it has a front locker), but would simply not fit or would hang up some of the places I've gone. It takes a LOT more ground clearance to make up for a larger footprint.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squamch

WKR
A Tahoe has a much smaller footprint than a Raptor.
Brush on the side of the trail doesn't matter a bit. I don't care a bit about scratches. Some people add pinstripes on purpose! Im talking about real obstacles like two large rocks or a rock and a drop off that you need to fit through. Around here a trail is either big enough for standard size vehicles, or its for <50". Some full size pickups just won't make it though.

The roads you drive on have/had GRAVEL on them? Thats what I call a "road". A "trail" is a path on NATIVE MATERIAL.
I've taken that Tahoe a long ways up Providence Canyon, which is a class 8 trail. I know what real rock crawling is and I know that a Tahoe is not nearly the most capable vehicle out there.
A Ford Rapter has a wheelbase of 133-163 vs my Tahoe at 116. Clearance is the same: 8.5 plus 3" front 1.5 rear lift plus 2" tire diameter= 11.5 (same as a raptor). So I have a significantly better break over angle because of a shorter wheel base.

I can go the same places as my brother in his lightly modified 3rd gen 4 runner.

A properly modded Tahoe is one if the most capable vehicles that can carry 7-9 people.

A Raptor has more suspension travel and would be more capable in some situations, like baja racing, or steep, loose hills (assuming it has a front locker), but would simply not fit or would hang up some of the places I've gone. It takes a LOT more ground clearance to make up for a larger footprint.

I'm sure your truck works just fine for what you do with it, and I never meant to imply that it didn't. What I was saying is that it would not work here, either on the trails, or on the uglier roads that we drive and wheel on. Nor would any of the other fullsize rigs in this thread. Thats why I said it was interesting to see what people consider a big, or capable vehicle, depending on where they're located.
Your comment about ground clearance vs footprint is a big part of why people here use toyotas, suzukis, or jeeps, not a full size.

I'm sure your truck works just fine for what you do with it, and I never meant to imply that it didn't. What I was saying is that it would not work here, either on the trails, or on the uglier roads that we drive and wheel on. Nor would any of the other fullsize rigs in this thread. Thats why I said it was interesting to see what people consider a big, or capable vehicle, depending on where they're located.
Your comment about ground clearance vs footprint is a big part of why people here use toyotas, suzukis, or jeeps, not a full size.
What do you mean by "uglier roads"?

Jon C

FNG
I'm surprised there aren't more Tundras in here. No pictures yet, but I just picked up my new on Thursday. Flew from ND down to Denver and drove it back. Looking to do a 3/1 lift/leveling kit. Any suggestions?
2013 Toyota Tundra stock but put Duratrac tires on. Nothing but brakes in 135,000 miles.

Attachments

• 7615EF59-7CE6-4047-ADD7-2558FFCD47CF.png
    7615EF59-7CE6-4047-ADD7-2558FFCD47CF.png
    842.7 KB · Views: 100
2011 Xterra Pro 4. Got a great deal on it at the beginning of the year. Just had 65,000 miles on it. I put 15,000 on it between turkey and elk season. Slept in it ~30 nights or so this year. Love it!

XJLudd2.jpg

o9w7hqQ.jpg

w5Qvg2p.jpg

xNkZ3uC.jpg
That picture at the gas station... kinda significant....?

I guess people like me that choose to drive SUV's probably don't calculate fuel mileage!

That picture at the gas station... kinda significant....?

I guess people like me that choose to drive SUV's probably don't calculate fuel mileage!

I actually could get 20mpg going 70mph with the stock 265s on. That has dropped to ~18.5mpg with the 33"s. A tank full around town averages ~14.5mpg.