Had a negligent discharge tonight. Learn from me.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
First and foremost I am safe, just a little shaken up still (this happened 4 hours ago). I have a slight headache and my right ear rings once and a while and feels pretty "off".

After an evening hunt I got back to the truck just after last light and began to pack up. It was pitch black so I used the truck bed lights, as I always do, to aid in helping me see what I was doing. Standing at the tailgate of my truck I unloaded the unused rounds from my Marlin 30-30. I broke gun safety rule #2 and pointed the muzzle at the rear cab of my truck. I was aware that I made this decision, it wasn't an accident. By pointing in that direction I could better see what I was doing because of the bed lights and the cartridges I would be ejecting could fall onto my jacket which I had laid in the bed. I was alone, there was no one with me. There were no houses, structures, or anything in the direction I was pointing the muzzle, only my truck. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "If something goes wrong I'm gonna shoot my truck. But that won't happen, I do this (racking the lever to dump unused rounds) all the time. It's business as usual. It's fine."

I took my gloves off for better dexterity and began racking the lever. Round 1 popped out. I put my thumb on the hammer, pulled the trigger, and lowered the hammer. I racked the lever again. Round 2 popped out. I put my thumb on the hammer, pulled the trigger, and BANG! Muzzle flash and ear ringing. I stood there for a moment to process and then stepped away from the truck, laid the gun down in the grass, and just stood there. Shaking, startled, I just looked up at the stars for a few minutes to calm down.

Right away I knew what happened. My hands were so cold, and the gun being metal, was so cold, I couldn't really 'feel' what I was doing when I was de-cocking it and I messed up. I assume that when I thought my thumb was on the hammer before I pulled the trigger, it was actually behind it.

The bullet when through the rear of the cab, through the backseat, through the driver's seat, and went several places after that: into the steering wheel, into the floor, into the area below the firewall. It hit a wire somewhere too because now all of my dash lights for ABS, traction control, and 4wd are lit up constantly. O yea, and now there's a rattle inside my steering wheel when I turn it. The gunshot was extra loud too because I shot into a truck bed. The shape of it bounced all that sound right back at me.

I can't believe it. I NEVER point the muzzle at anything. I'm always so careful. I'm the guy that checks if a weapon is clear when it's handed to me, even if the person who handed it to me showed me it was clear. And just this one time I decided to point it at something assuming everything would be fine.

Next time I need to unload rounds I will be pointing the muzzle at the ground. I will also keep my hearing protection on until I have a clear weapon - that was my second mistake.

The photos are sobering, to me at least... seeing how quickly so much can happen. Even though I didn't think this was going to happen I would have never pointed the gun in that direction if let's say a hunting buddy was in the truck or something. I realize now too how dangerous what I did really was. If the bullet wouldn't of gone clean through the rear and it would have hit a different spot, it could ricochet or I could have been hit with shrapnel.

So learn from me. Let this be a PSA, or a friendly reminder, to not point your weapons at things you don't want to shoot... NO MATTER how brief, or how confident you are that things will be fine.

Edit: A lot of people are commenting that I didn't need to pull the trigger each time and lower the hammer, and that I could have instead continued cycling the lever until all rounds had been expelled. This is true, but in the dark I did not feel comfortable continuing to cycle incase clothing or something got caught in the trigger guard. I have a lightweight aftermarket trigger so it doesn't take much to pull it. In the moment I thought I was making the smarter decision.

7074ac86008bf00053bf82cdbfa69c3f.jpg
61500f1ad0503ea20c2c50b95b26c3be.jpg
beabc1ddb60a1448fbccd60f860c8dc9.jpg
50f030490d317446bc0d7da6ac3747dd.jpg
e188117bc624cf706fafb79e236bd8c9.jpg
d85225a686a0b11adbfc15168479b19d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
Damn.....glad no one was injured, not familiar with that rifle but is the only way to fully unload it is to rack all the rounds into the chamber ???

Superdoo

WKR
Damn!😳😳😳
Glad you’re safe. I’ll never forget when I took hunter’s safety and the instructor informed us of the safety pitfalls of lever actions.

sobering to say the least.

Okhotnik

WKR
First and foremost I am safe, just a little shaken up still (this happened 4 hours ago). I have a slight headache and my right ear rings once and a while and feels pretty "off".

After an evening hunt I got back to the truck just after last light and began to pack up. It was pitch black so I used the truck bed lights, as I always do, to aid in helping me see what I was doing. Standing at the tailgate of my truck I unloaded the unused rounds from my Marlin 30-30. I broke gun safety rule #2 and pointed the muzzle at the rear cab of my truck. I was aware that I made this decision, it wasn't an accident. By pointing in that direction I could better see what I was doing because of the bed lights and the cartridges I would be ejecting could fall onto my jacket which I had laid in the bed. I was alone, there was no one with me. There were no houses, structures, or anything in the direction I was pointing the muzzle, only my truck. In the back of my mind I was thinking, "If something goes wrong I'm gonna shoot my truck. But that won't happen, I do this (racking the lever to dump unused rounds) all the time. It's business as usual. It's fine."

I took my gloves off for better dexterity and began racking the lever. Round 1 popped out. I put my thumb on the hammer, pulled the trigger, and lowered the hammer. I racked the lever again. Round 2 popped out. I put my thumb on the hammer, pulled the trigger, and BANG! Muzzle flash and ear ringing. I stood there for a moment to process and then stepped away from the truck, laid the gun down in the grass, and just stood there. Shaking, startled, I just looked up at the stars for a few minutes to calm down.

Right away I knew what happened. My hands were so cold, and the gun being metal, was so cold, I couldn't really 'feel' what I was doing when I was de-cocking it and I messed up. I assume that when I thought my thumb was on the hammer before I pulled the trigger, it was actually behind it.

The bullet when through the rear of the cab, through the backseat, through the driver's seat, and went several places after that: into the steering wheel, into the floor, into the area below the firewall. It hit a wire somewhere too because now all of my dash lights for ABS, traction control, and 4wd are lit up constantly. O yea, and now there's a rattle inside my steering wheel when I turn it. The gunshot was extra loud too because I shot into a truck bed. The shape of it bounced all that sound right back at me.

I can't believe it. I NEVER point the muzzle at anything. I'm always so careful. I'm the guy that checks if a weapon is clear when it's handed to me, even if the person who handed it to me showed me it was clear. And just this one time I decided to point it at something assuming everything would be fine.

Next time I need to unload rounds I will be pointing the muzzle at the ground. I will also keep my hearing protection on until I have a clear weapon - that was my second mistake.

The photos are sobering, to me at least... seeing how quickly so much can happen. Even though I didn't think this was going to happen I would have never pointed the gun in that direction if let's say a hunting buddy was in the truck or something. I realize now too how dangerous what I did really was. If the bullet wouldn't of gone clean through the rear and it would have hit a different spot, it could ricochet or I could have been hit with shrapnel.

So learn from me. Let this be a PSA, or a friendly reminder, to not point your weapons at things you don't want to shoot... NO MATTER how brief, or how confident you are that things will be fine.
7074ac86008bf00053bf82cdbfa69c3f.jpg
61500f1ad0503ea20c2c50b95b26c3be.jpg
beabc1ddb60a1448fbccd60f860c8dc9.jpg
50f030490d317446bc0d7da6ac3747dd.jpg
e188117bc624cf706fafb79e236bd8c9.jpg
d85225a686a0b11adbfc15168479b19d.jpg

Don't feel too bad. Lever actions are difficult to unload and you can t easily visually inspect to see if loaded. That's why not suggested for for beginning shooters. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob5589

WKR
Yikes dude! Glad only your pride, and truck, are injured.
On another note; is that the only way to unload a lever gun, having to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer? I'm not a lever action guy, not just busting your coconuts.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Damn.....glad no one was injured, not familiar with that rifle but is the only way to fully unload it is to rack all the rounds into the chamber ???
Yes. Unless you were to dissemble it to remove the magazine tube. I guess you could also depress the loading gate and try to fish the rounds back out of the tube but that's not proper.

It's a hard lesson learned. No one, including you, getting hurt over it means it's a good lesson because you won't forget it. I did something very similar once. I was about 13 years old or so, pheasant hunting. Had an old single shot twelve guage with exterior hammer. I tried letting the hammer down on it easy but my hands were cold and wet. Had a ND. Luckily I was off by myself and had the muzzle pointed at the ground. Scared me because I realized then how easy and quick things can get sideways. But, I learned from it. Hopefully people can learn from the experience of others and never themselves have it happen. Glad you're ok.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes dude! Glad only your pride, and truck, are injured.
On another note; is that the only way to unload a lever gun, having to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer? I'm not a lever action guy, not just busting your coconuts.
Thanks. And yes, clambering a round to then eject that round is the only way to unload. I've tried once before to depress the loading gate and get the rounds to pop back out but it didn't work for me.

Felix40

WKR
I’m with everyone else here. I’ve never seen a lever action you couldn’t cycle with the hammer cocked. It’s best to not be pulling the trigger and letting the hammer down all the time. Might want to add that to the list of things you change in the future.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you're all good

Can't you continue to rack the lever never touching the hammer or trigger to expel the remaining rounds?

Shown here:
Yes but I have an aftermarket lightweight trigger so I was paranoid that somehow clothing or something would get caught on the trigger if I continued racking... it wouldn't take much to pull it. And being so dark out I didn't feel safe doing that. In the moment I thought I was doing the smarter option.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
On my 30-30 you do not have to decock the hammer between each round and you can unload it with the safety on. Maybe yours is quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine does not have a safety.

HoneyDew

WKR
Thanks. And yes, clambering a round to then eject that round is the only way to unload. I've tried once before to depress the loading gate and get the rounds to pop back out but it didn't work for me.

Yes you have to work the lever to empty the magazine but you don’t have to pull the trigger after every round ejected. Only after the last round if you want the firing pin to no longer be under tension. So ideally you work the lever repeatedly until no more rounds come out then point in safe direction and pull trigger.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with everyone else here. I’ve never seen a lever action you couldn’t cycle with the hammer cocked. It’s best to not be pulling the trigger and letting the hammer down all the time. Might want to add that to the list of things you change in the future.
I would agree that this was another of my poor decisions. Normally I do as you said, and I continue cycling without touching the hammer or trigger to expel all the rounds. This was my first time needing to do this at night though, and I just didn't feel safe repeatedly cycling. I wanted to avoid accidentally having clothing or something get into the trigger guard while cycling, not noticing, and having an accidental discharge. Ironic because it happened anyway.

Ronb

WKR
My lesson came last year after teaching my wife gun safety. Long story short, I shot my glock 43 into my new hardwoods. 1 foot from my foot, and 6 feet from my wife. Made me sick! I felt the same way as you though. Besides correcting what happened, I swallowed my pride and shared on instagram so hopefully some one could learn from it. You can never be too careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk