Had a negligent discharge tonight. Learn from me.

Lou Sid

FNG
My dad uses an old 30-30. I think he just likes to keep it old school and use his original gun. I think one of the main takeaways here too is that folks should upgrade to a different gun like any bolt action style. It's more safe, more powerful, more accurate, literally all around better.

Fatcamp

WKR
Reason #3 to not hunt with a lever gun: Have to cycle rounds to unload.

Can't believe I'm the first to mention the steering column on that Honda. Looks like it has a bit of rust. May be time to take a closer look. 😁

nidaho

FNG
You can eject first round and shake and dump second round out before cycling lever a gain. I never let hammer down unless I cocked it for a shot and didn’t shoot.

FLAK

WKR
Been there, Done that unfortunately.

In a treestand, storm coming. Got down in time but the downpour started before I got to the truck. Did not take
time to unload in the pouring rain, just threw the gun (Rem 700) in the passenger seat. As I was coming out, going up
a rather rough, now slick mtn I reach over to just open up
the bolt (to be safe you know). Well, I wasnt watching where
I was reaching cause I was navigating ruts, rocks, mud.
Apparently the safety had been knocked off and when I
reached I stuck my finger right on the trigger. A 30-06 going
off inside that Toyota PU was deafening. Didnt know it till
later, the bullet bent the slave cylinder on the clutch enough
that later it wore the clutch completely out.

zacattack

WKR
Glad your okay. Yeah unloading those lever actions can be a pain. I always work the action and then flip over to dump the next round.
Also I’d like to take a moment to appreciate the fact that a .30-30 round went through a tailgate, back of the cab, two seats, the steering wheel and almost the floorboards.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Glad your okay. Yeah unloading those lever actions can be a pain. I always work the action and then flip over to dump the next round.
Also I’d like to take a moment to appreciate the fact that a .30-30 round went through a tailgate, back of the cab, two seats, the steering wheel and almost the floorboards.
It didn't actually go through the tailgate - the tailgate was down. The first thing it went through was the back of the cab.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All right, we’ve expressed our relief that he’s safe, and our support for proper weapon safety... I think it’s time for the cowboy humor to kick in. As in nobody got killed so it’s hilarious.

examples: I once had to put down a horse so I dragged the poor thing out the gate using my truck and rope and awaited my friend with a backhoe to load him in the truck. the halter was still on his head and the rope hooked to my bumper. When my friend arrived he wryly observed “I see you finally broke that colt to the lead rope”. It was too soon but I needed a laugh.

among Friends mockery is sign of affection. Let the mockery begin!!

my younger brother made the mistake of mentioning one too many times how he got his first buck with one shot. He is now “One Shot Dick”

in my camp you’d have nick name by now... say Trigger... or Cap’m Danger... or Itchy.

zacattack

WKR
All right, we’ve expressed our relief that he’s safe, and our support for proper weapon safety... I think it’s time for the cowboy humor to kick in. As in nobody got killed so it’s hilarious.

examples: I once had to put down a horse so I dragged the poor thing out the gate using my truck and rope and awaited my friend with a backhoe to load him in the truck. the halter was still on his head and the rope hooked to my bumper. When my friend arrived he wryly observed “I see you finally broke that colt to the lead rope”. It was too soon but I needed a laugh.

among Friends mockery is sign of affection. Let the mockery begin!!

my younger brother made the mistake of mentioning one too many times how he got his first buck with one shot. He is now “One Shot Dick”

in my camp you’d have nick name by now... say Trigger... or Cap’m Danger... or Itchy.
His insurance claim is gonna be a pain in the ass

I hunt with leverguns quite a bit. I don't think ive ever let the hammer down between ejecting the rounds. just keep you finger out of the trigger guard and sling em out till its empty.

Opah

WKR
Could have been so much worse, older trucks had the gas tank behind the rear seat. Reminders are sent to us from time to time, it pays to not trivialize them.
Good job sharing this. Thank you

Its honorable to swallow your pride and share your story. Its a healthy reminder to all of us who frequently handle firearms. Glad all is well with you and those around you, except your truck.

Yikes dude! Glad only your pride, and truck, are injured.
On another note; is that the only way to unload a lever gun, having to pull the trigger and manually lower the hammer? I'm not a lever action guy, not just busting your coconuts.
I just rack the lever until no more rounds come out. Then rack a few more times.

OP
Yard Candy

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that takes offense to folks calling that Honda a “Truck”?
You're right. It's a unibody vehicle that has 4WD, a 5' bed", can tow 5,000 lbs and put 1,500 lbs in the bed. Not a truck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
Thanks for sharing, and your honesty.

That ticking in the steering wheel is likely the clock spring. ( think that’s the right term) basically keeps all the words from tangling when turning the wheel. Had one break on a frontier I had

Marble

WKR
My brother had a negligent discharge this year with my Kimber Mountain Ascent. Finger on the trigger while unloading.

He was standing 5' behind me and we were getting ready to get on the horses. He tried to I make excuses which is pretty normal for him. Blamed his gloves which were paper thin wool type from First lite.

I shut that down when he started making excuaes, but knew the most important thing was to make it a learning moment. I didn't need to embarrassed him. Just needed him to recognize that he alone was responsible and give lesson in proper loading and unloading.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

My dad uses an old 30-30. I think he just likes to keep it old school and use his original gun. I think one of the main takeaways here too is that folks should upgrade to a different gun like any bolt action style. It's more safe, more powerful, more accurate, literally all around better.

I carry a lever action as a backup but in certain conditions it becomes my primary. When hunting all week in a cloud with < 100 ft if visibility or a coastal jungle it’s simply the right tool and is much better than my scoped .270 Weatherby.

I just cycle until empty and dig around in the dark until I’ve retrieved all the cartridges. A headlamp helps!