Legit Hunting Personalities

I like the stuff that Limitless Outdoors puts out. I forget his name but he takes his kids backcountry on horses and kills some giants all while spreading the gospel.

I enjoy The Hunting Public as much as anyone else. They spend a lot of time in the woods and are good at showing you don't need the most expensive equipment to kill good deer consistently.

+1 for the The Hunting Public crew. They’re phenomenal deer and turkey hunters, and it’s been fun to watch them take that knowledge and be successful on elk and pronghorn out West on public land more recently. Also seems abundantly clear that education is their #1 goal. That and having fun! Not sure how anyone could bash those guys.

I have zero problem with the MeatEater crew. I especially enjoy Janis. I think some are probably turned off by Steven Rinella’s personality and pedantic approach to things…to each their own. I enjoy hearing well educated people speak articulately about hunting and conservation.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I enjoyed the old Backcountry hunter Cam Hanes. Can’t say I follow him anymore with the high dollar private ranch Rogan hunts. Nothing wrong with that, I just can’t relate.

Chuck Adams has certainly proven himself and seemed like a nice person when I briefly met him years ago.

I admire the woodsmanship of Clay Hayes.

So many I have stopped following as I realized they simply hunt great locations that lead to success more than field skills. I was watching a mule deer hunt some years ago and I realized the guy was hunting a private farm with a large alfalfa field that I’ve driven by countless times. On ant given day there are 20-30 deer standing around that field. Of course the editing didn’t show that, just made it look like a western muley hunt.

I like the THP guys and Randy's crew. I'm biased as the core THP guys are all either from Iowa, the Midwest, or interned/worked for Midwest Whitetail out of Southern Iowa.

They did a video recently explaining how hard it is to make a living posting Youtube videos if you don't sell out to the big sponsors. They also take feedback from their fans to heart, and do very little advertising. They certainly don't let it get in the way of their content. Sometimes they get a little wordy and corny, but folks can learn a lot from them with their trial and error approach.

I'm split on the Hush guys. When they hunted with the THP guys in MO, one of them wounded a buck and left for another filmed hunt before the buck was found. The THP crew spent the next 2 or 3 days with a tracking dog trying to find his buck. Ultimately, it was never recovered, but that episode left a really bad taste in my mouth for the ethics of that Hush guy. On the flipside, the Hush guy that filmed his daughter's first elk hunt/kill seemed legit.

Miranda is one of the old school guys, and like others have stated, his passion for trapping and the history of it is pretty incredible. His hunting is MEH. Sponsored guy traveling all over the world on guided hunts.

I liked the first few years of Meateater, but now they've grown and expanded to so many things (like any good brand and business should do) I'm just not as interested any more. Steve is a super sharp and interesting dude, but I can see how he can come across as premadonna.

Never have run into anyone mentioned here so far in the woods.
Don't know if Matzinger has been mentioned yet, but I enjoy the style of his videos and he seems to really put in the time and effort to take mature animals.

I mean we can ask them if they consider themselves as market hunters. @roadrunner mentioned himself as a legit hunting personality, Road Runner, do you self-identify as a market hunter?

I don't remember seeing the words market hunter, but I do remember seeingnthe word famous. I said what my personality was (not fake) and that I'm a legit killer, 'cause I have killed a lot of stuff. ;)

WKR
…….second hand examples of where ‘famous’ hunters are legit killers or badass woodsmen?…….Who is worth watching and listening to?
I don’t follow hunting shows, so I don’t recognize most of the names previously mentioned, the exceptions being Fred Bear, Chuck Adams, G. Fred Asbell, and Larry Jones because I’ve seen them in print. So when asked for who I believe is a “legit killer“ I have to harken back a ways and consider hunting literature and not hunting shows.

When it comes to hunting literature, for me there is “Death In The Long Grass” and then there’s everything else. So #1 on my legit killer hunting personality list is the late Peter Hathaway Capstick.

I don’t follow hunting shows, so I don’t recognize most of the names previously mentioned, the exceptions being Fred Bear, Chuck Adams, G. Fred Asbell, and Larry Jones because I’ve seen them in print. So when asked for who I believe is a “legit killer“ I have to harken back a ways and consider hunting literature and not hunting shows.

When it comes to hunting literature, for me there is “Death In The Long Grass” and then there’s everything else. So #1 on my legit killer hunting personality list is the late Peter Hathaway Capstick.
"Death in the Long Grass" is phenomenal.

Weren't market hunters folks that killed big game animals and brought them to town to sell? If so, I don't think any of these guys match that description. I know the THP guys and Randy's Fresh Tracks crew do a heck of a lot of meat processing and consuming.
Market Hunter : a person who hunts game for a livelihood

pretty sure alot of these "legit hunting personalities" are hunting game for their livelihood.

Brian Barney, Dan Pickar, and Ryan Lampers are my 1 2 3. I think Remi Warren deserves to be in the top 3 too, but I can't figure out how to get them all in there!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned ElkNut. I think he's about as successful and skilled as they come and did it all on public while having a "real" job. Love his passion for both hunting and educating others.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
They mentioned him earlier by his real name, not his handle

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Market Hunter : a person who hunts game for a livelihood

pretty sure alot of these "legit hunting personalities" are hunting game for their livelihood.
You're talking a modern definition. However, back in the day a market hunters' "livelihood" was much different. However, I see the parallels.

https://aws.boone-crockett.org/s3fs-public/atoms/files/FC_Fall2008_MarketHunters.pdf