Legal Opinion On Gun Ownership and Marijuana

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Pot is legal in OR, illegal federally, yet I have a container full of gummies in the cupboard and a new rifle I bought 2 weeks ago in the gun safe.

Worry about things that matter.
I'm glad ot doesn't matter in OR. Hopefully it won't matter for those in NJ where there is a very strong aggressive anti 2A sentiment and no carry permits are issued. Now that they are legalizing mj let's see what their next steps are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Idk, I’m with the group here

but I think those at the top hidden actually forming “policy” or orchestrated chaos purposefully embed the hypocrisy. It creates pathways to greater agendas.

Greg mentioned pot becoming legal, I’m not sure. Politically there’s a lot to be gained from ambiguity, ie limitations...

We as gun owners should promote the high road to those carrying. Even if the law isn’t specific. Only way to keep our right long term.
Currently (as of before this years elections), only 6 states have marijuana fully illegal. I believe the feds are bound to cave, and probably sooner than later.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pot is legal in OR, illegal federally, yet I have a container full of gummies in the cupboard and a new rifle I bought 2 weeks ago in the gun safe.

Worry about things that matter.
Except for the time someone digs for something to criminalize you...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Many laws are dumb. No doubt. The odds of something happening is pretty low, but I still wouldn't advertise it.

My point is that no one really realizes what a terrible thing the legal system is until something or someone puts you there... Until MJ is legal federally, using legal MJ whether medical or not are taking a risk. While the risk may be low of getting "caught", the consequences of just getting caught up in the legal system is extremely burdensome. Its all fine and dandy till someone wants to make an example of you. It is why the MM industry has to deal in all cash. No institution will touch the transactions, even though it would mean MASSIVE revenue.

wyodan

WKR
Many laws are dumb. No doubt. The odds of something happening is pretty low, but I still wouldn't advertise it.

My point is that no one really realizes what a terrible thing the legal system is until something or someone puts you there... Until MJ is legal federally, using legal MJ whether medical or not are taking a risk. While the risk may be low of getting "caught", the consequences of just getting caught up in the legal system is extremely burdensome. Its all fine and dandy till someone wants to make an example of you. It is why the MM industry has to deal in all cash. No institution will touch the transactions, even though it would mean MASSIVE revenue.
I agree with you. I personally wouldn't advertise something like that, but someone else can, and it will need to happen in order to have any change. But also, a good 70% of my job seems to be protecting myself and the agency to back up any decisions made. Hopefully someday, the right decision is made regarding both of the issues in this thread.

Squincher

WKR
Key word is unknowingly. So damned if I know. My point is if they want to criminalize you for something, they’ll find a way.

Still bullshit. I could buy someone not knowing if what they were doing was a felony or misdemeanor, but no one is going around committing three felonies a day and not knowing it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But the state police do the background check rite?
So how does the federal law apply.?
Most states, MJ possession is against federal and state law. MJ possession and use is against federal law everywhere.

Also, the form you fill out to buy a gun is a sworn federal form.

I don't know what check state police might make under state law, but every transfer by an FFL requires a federal background check.

Still bullshit. I could buy someone not knowing if what they were doing was a felony or misdemeanor, but no one is going around committing three felonies a day and not knowing it.
Read the article, and you'll understand why the author says people can be committing three felonies a day, knowing and unknowingly. Many times, the same act or series of acts can be multiple felonies when you factor in state and federal laws.

Agree or disagree, but the legal and regulatory state is much more burdensome than you can imagine apparently...

Idk in Oregon we pay the state and they do the check is my understanding.
We fill out the 4473 fed form but OSP does the check.
And Marry Jane is legal here.
Screenshot_20210216-180759_Chrome.jpg

I have impure thoughts every day... isn’t that a felony in Kansas?:LOL::LOL::LOL: If I get caught I want BRtreedogs for my lawyer.

Rich M

WKR
I've often wondered about the marijuana use. Say you got a medical card for whatever reason and have a job as a heavy equipment operator? I think not.

Same for pain killers.

And watch out for CBD oil cause it triggers the same response on a urine test.

Not saying it isn't a good option for some folks with issues - pain, seizures, ADD, and what not.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Idk in Oregon we pay the state and they do the check is my understanding.
We fill out the 4473 fed form but OSP does the check.
And Marry Jane is legal here.
View attachment 264998
Ahhh, in some states FFL sends application to the state who then checks the FBI database other states the FFL contacts the FBI NICS directly. Oregon also holds transfer records for 5 years.

Squincher

WKR
Read the article, and you'll understand why the author says people can be committing three felonies a day, knowing and unknowingly. Many times, the same act or series of acts can be multiple felonies when you factor in state and federal laws.

Agree or disagree, but the legal and regulatory state is much more burdensome than you can imagine apparently...

I read the article and the author is FOS. I know the law and how it is applied better than most, and I guarantee the average American will go through life without ever having committed a felony. The only people I have ever heard espouse this BS are people trying to rationalize their criminal behavior by saying "everyone else does it."

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I read the article and the author is FOS. I know the law and how it is applied better than most, and I guarantee the average American will go through life without ever having committed a felony. The only people I have ever heard espouse this BS are people trying to rationalize their criminal behavior by saying "everyone else does it."
I have never heard it as a way to rationalize criminality.

The point is, using MJ and lying on the 4473 is a felony and at least one person willingly posted up that they did it...