Legal Opinion On Gun Ownership and Marijuana

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is an interesting subject considering the number of firearms that have been purchased in the last few years given the recent "legalization" of marijuana in a number of states. If someone who uses mj and they answer "no" to mj question on the firearms transaction form they have committed a federal felony. Not a small event.

*zap*

WKR
Im not a marijuana user but it's no different from alcohol. If people who use marijuana can't own guns drinkers shouldn't either.
I would agree that people under the influence of either should not be carrying/using firearms. But plenty of people do.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
I would agree that people under the influence of either should not be carrying/using firearms. But plenty of people do.
Although I also agree that isn't the point. A person can legally own firearms and admittedly be a social drinker. If you use marijuana you can't legally buy a gun under federal law.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
I'm not at all interested in a weed vs alcohol debate. I don't care.
I will just say, eventually, I would imagine the weed laws will catch up to the alcohol laws. As more states become legal, and more time goes by, this will all work itself out. It's just not going to happen overnight.
To make comments suggesting alcohol users should not be able to own guns because weed users (currently) can't is not reasonable. Alcohol has been legal for how long? And weed for how long?

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
I'm not at all interested in a weed vs alcohol debate. I don't care.
I will just say, eventually, I would imagine the weed laws will catch up to the alcohol laws. As more states become legal, and more time goes by, this will all work itself out. It's just not going to happen overnight.
To make comments suggesting alcohol users should not be able to own guns because weed users (currently) can't is not reasonable. Alcohol has been legal for how long? And weed for how long?
Just thought with so many States legalizing MJ I'd bring this to the attention of the broader audience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
IMO a gun owner who drinks alcohol saying "just don't do drugs" is hypocritical. If your mind altering drug of choice is alcohol don't act like you are better than people who use weed. I think gun ownership shouldn't have anything to do with either, but carrying or using a firearm under the influence of any mind altering drug is NOT cool. How many groups have celebrated late at night after filling a tag and went back out the next morning with alcohol still in their system? Maybe it's not that huge a deal to most but it's the same thing as a guy who smokes a little weed every once in a while

I noticed they changed the 4473s since the last time I bought a gun a few weeks ago...IIRC there is now a statement under the drug question about MJ still being illegal under federal law no matter your states laws...in bold...almost check non binary because it was there...lol

The current issue is that Marijuana is still an illegal drug Federally. Alcohol is legal. Doesn't matter what the States do, if the Federal process doesn't follow.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
My question is how could this be enforced? They would have to drug test you to prove it. I don't see that ever happening

4rcgoat

WKR
The hypocrisy in this country is hitting an all time high i believe (pun intended). The useless federal government can turn a blind eye to the state's that legalized it and profit from it,and they do nothing at all to enforce their useless laws,piss on all of them. People should have to prove they are competent enough to handle a weapon period.

bsnedeker

WKR
The hypocrisy in this country is hitting an all time high i believe (pun intended). The useless federal government can turn a blind eye to the state's that legalized it and profit from it,and they do nothing at all to enforce their useless laws,piss on all of them. People should have to prove they are competent enough to handle a weapon period.
If my weapons started having periods I don't think I could handle it if I'm being honest.

Wvroach

WKR
Who is this great Czar that is allowed to determine competence for the populist..

Everyone has the inalienable right to self defense regardless of race, religion, sex or creed. I don't need the government to decide it for me...

As for the marijuana vs alcohol argument I agree it's hypocritical and should not matter, do I partake in either? No.
That doesn't mean because you have a few beers or smoke weed you should have your rights stripped away.

4rcgoat

WKR
Who is this great Czar that is allowed to determine competence for the populist..

Everyone has the inalienable right to self defense regardless of race, religion, sex or creed. I don't need the government to decide it for me...

As for the marijuana vs alcohol argument I agree it's hypocritical and should not matter, do I partake in either? No.
That doesn't mean because you have a few beers or smoke weed you should have your rights stripped away.
I agree,its a double edge sword for sure. As for who decides competency......one has to look in the mirror i suppose. Stupidity seems to be gaining ground real fast with some people.