Lead in Meat Discussion

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
How are they superior?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
They are accurate, dependable and worry free of anything really. They do great no matter where I place them. But there are many bullets out there that are just as good.

t_carlson

WKR
It is estimated the average person eats as much as 5 grams of microplastics a week. That is the equivalent of a credit card.

If you feed a horse hay that has been sprayed with Roundup and then use the manure in a garden, it will kill all off your plants.

The same sunscreen you slather all over your body is killing off oceanlife.

Google "Ractopamine." Its banned in 160 countries including China and the EU...but we gobble it up.

I'm not claiming that lead bullets are GOOD for you, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably won't be what kills you.

Reminds me of the fat people who order a Diet Coke with their McDonalds combo meal...like dude, really?????

woods89

WKR
Mono bullet shooters has replaced CrossFit as the thing everybody doing it or using it wants to talk about but everyone tunes out. 🙄
Given the massive amount of chemicals you and I are exposed to every day, I couldn’t give two craps about lead exposure in meat.
How do you know someone shoots copper? Don't worry, they'll tell you!

Shoot what makes you happy, but I haven't seen anything remotely worrisome about using lead core bullets. I feed game shot with them to my kids all the time. It's probably significantly worse to take them to McDonald's......

It is estimated the average person eats as much as 5 grams of microplastics a week. That is the equivalent of a credit card.

If you feed a horse hay that has been sprayed with Roundup and then use the manure in a garden, it will kill all off your plants.

Google "Ractopamine." Its banned in 160 countries including China and the EU...but we gobble it up.

I'm not claiming that lead bullets are GOOD for you, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably won't be what kills you.

Reminds me of the fat people who order a Diet Coke with their McDonalds combo meal...like dude, really?????
Those are all valid concerns, but the average person has limited ability to avoid the contaminants you mentioned (perhaps excepting sunscreen). We do, however, have direct control over what bullet we put in our rifle, and lead-free options are readily available. Just because you can't eliminate all exposure to potentially harmful contaminants doesn't mean you shouldn't eliminate exposures when/where you can. Again though, bullet choice is a personal judgment call based on perceived risk and I have no problem with those who decide to keep shooting lead.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I switched a few years ago for a couple different reasons. First, I had terrible results with ELDX bullets separating and going wild places inside an animal, often ruining meat. When I started handloading, I looked around for monos and landed on Hammers because they got good reviews, were unbelievable easy to dial in, and are a local company. I've since shot a couple dozen animals with them at ranges between 10 and 650 yards, loaded them for friends, and shot out to 1000 on steel. I won't shoot them at game past 650-700 because of the low BCs, but I don't really need to either where I hunt. Have yet to see a bullet not perform perfectly.

The second reason is that I was also in the habit of putting game cams on gut piles and carcasses to monitor lions and wolves on our family ranch. I got far more footage of golden eagles than any other species except for magpies, of course. There's a wealth of data coming out of Western MT in particular on lead toxicity for eagles and other raptors, and I don't mind doing my part to prevent that if there's no impact to my lethality on game. I still shoot lead on pheasants and grouse, but I'm not leaving any part of them in the field to be ingested. Just .02 from a libtard PETA lover...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How do you know someone shoots copper? Don't worry, they'll tell you!

Shoot what makes you happy, but I haven't seen anything remotely worrisome about using lead core bullets. I feed game shot with them to my kids all the time. It's probably significantly worse to take them to McDonald's......
How do I know woods89 shoots lead? He told the world on the internet!

OXN939

WKR

A valid point, but if you don't try to mitigate the sources of environmental toxicity you have control over, you have a very good chance in this day and age of ending up with mesothelioma, or lymphoma, or any of the other terrible diseases the modern lifestyle encourages.

Copper monos perform better than lead bullets for 95% of hunters, and eliminate the well documented potential of introducing toxins to ourselves and our families.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I dont get the "Hey - you should be worried about this"
mentality.
Leave me alone.
I'll defend your right to chew on lead paint chips till I die. Lord knows I still do for that tangy zip I loved as a child.

The moralizing of the lead/nonlead debate for big game is frustrating and counterproductive. Chris Parish and Leland Brown of the North American Non-Lead Partnership do a great job of putting out solid, objective information without making it a black and white issue. They came and did a presentation at our local rod and gun club and won a bunch of folks over without preaching about the moral supremacy of copper bullets.

OP
D

Thats a poor argument because there are zero healthy options at McDonalds. Had you said "reminds me of people who buy prepackaged food at a grocery that sells raw ingredients" I would have agreed with you.

Again though, bullet choice is a personal judgment call based on perceived risk and I have no problem with those who decide to keep shooting lead.

This.. Additionally with the ranges that I shoot, a neck shot is well within reason and easy to do, so I could easily go back to shooting lead and not worry about it

I could have just as changed a few things in the title of the email to "CWD in your Meat" and I think we would be having a just as lively conversation

jolemons

WKR
ignorant would be not actually understanding the lack of toxicity of metallic non organic lead-antimony alloy shot to humans.
Lots of research on human lead poisoning in the medical world related to gunshot wounds. Also, increasingly so in the biological sciences sd it relates to raptors ingesting viscera from gunshot killed ungulates.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
I shoot copper in any of my hunting rifles that will shoot them well. Primary reason for me is less meat loss. I prefer the LRX for it‘s faster opening vs the other Barnes offerings. Not tried any other brands of mono’s on game to date.

Does that mean I don’t use cup and core or bonded bullets for hunting, nope, I sure do. Matter of fact, if it’s more of a horn hunt, I prefer some lead in my bullet for the likelihood of a quicker kill if I have to shoot longer ranges.

Probably makes me a confused hunter. I‘m OK with that.

jolemons

WKR
I am converting because of the impact lead can have on raptors that rely on viscera from hunter killed game in the fall. We have captured several flightless eagles on the ranch that I manage that were confirmed to have had lead poisoning.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

92xj

WKR
I chewed on split shot bream fishing as a kid for years. Don't think lead that kills my big game is going to affect me too much. I defiantly do not even think about it or consider it when reloading or killing animals.

jimh406

WKR
Obviously, there is healthy food at McDonalds although the ingredients in Diet Coke are worse than the sugar in regular Coke. Nobody said you can’t leave off the parts on your burger that aren’t healthy. The burger and vegetables are mostly ok. ;) You also don’t have to drink the soft drinks or eat the fries or condiments.

Back to copper … there are very good copper bullets now. Nope, you don’t have to use them. I’m transitioning to them because I can, and feel like I might as well. Maybe it won’t help anything, but it won’t hurt anything either as long as they are good quality bullets. However, I only use a few bullets a year in my 300 Wby, so it’s going to be a while to empty my box of 50 with Nosler Partitions that I loaded a few years ago.

I shoot other guns more times per year, so my switch over will likely happen a few years faster. ;)