New rimfire cartridge 21 Sharp

22lr

WKR
Like alot of products, I think this is a very niche product for a very niche problem. That said, if we don't find a way to address/get ahead of the lead debate, this will be a reality and we will be forced into it on alot of public lands here in the near future for small game.

They should have sold the idea to Hornady, then it would take off like a rocket

I do see a world down the road where lead is banned from indoor ranges. The health concerns and annual clean-up is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxk777

FNG
A new rimfire cartridge called 21 Sharp was officially introduced today by Wichester. There have been rumblings about it for several months as SAAMI data started to be published.

It sounds like their intent is to move away from the "heeled" 22LR lead bullets that are not optimized for manufacturing or ballistics and make it easier to produce copper/lead free bullets with slightly higher BC than 22LR.

Apparently they kept the brass and chambers the same size and reduced the bullet diameter to .2105. That way a rebarrel is all that's needed to switch.

Does anyone have experience with this new round? Is anyone rushing out to buy a barrel or new rifle? Have you seen 21 Sharp ammo on the shelves anywhere?

Do you think this is the beginning of a new era for rimfire, or do you think this will flop because it's too hard to compete with 125+ years of 22LR dominating the market?
I haven’t seen it yet but I’m interested to give it a shot