Late season elk tactics

Drew a late season tag, Rock slide won't let me say where 🙄, anyways, what are some good tactics, mature bulls will be by themselves I know, never hunted late elk so don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks!

Tmac

WKR
Where I’ve hunted them, a hidey hole with everything he needs, food, water, security and cover. If they find that all in a small space, they can be difficult to hunt unless something forces them to move. It’s not uncommon for several to bunch up, so if you find one, look closely, could be a couple more near.

Late season usually puts the spikes and raghorns back with momma or close.

The big bulls are in groups on the winter range (alone) or are 500 ft higher and one to two ridges on either side of the cows.

Can vary but in western Montana it usually started to show about the third week of November. Often the cows would migrate with the first cold snap of 3-5 days. The bulls would remain on the top of the ridges and then start the migration around thanksgiving.

This year I found the bull tracks in the cow tracks around the first of the year. I suspicion that he came later. A couple days later he showed up alone at the house.

The cows pick on the bulls when they are in velvet and so they tend to keep them at arms (ridge) length until the rut.

It might be differant in the desert or prarie but that is what I have seen in N Idaho and W Montana.

I have seen some big bulls go all of the ways into the river bottoms (deep winter range) after the rut for a few weeks and then go up after the rifle season starts. Not often but sometimes.

dyland

FNG
Cruise thru different elevation bands until you find fresh sign or animals and then stay at that elevation as you move around the unit.

Patience, heart, and luck !!!!

Make plan and stick to it (rather than give up early)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Pray for cold and snow
After you’ve done praying for cold and snow, pray for some more.

About 30 years ago we hunted the late season for elk. We drove thru 2’+ of snow with chains and it was -10 to -20. Then we hiked 3 miles to shoot elk.
We stacked em up by the truck load.

OP
C
Thanks y'all I appreciate it! I will do a lot more research but this helps a lot! I wish Arizona had biologists for this to talk to like idaho

Get away from the roads and trails. What I’ve found is the further you get away from human activity the better your odds are of finding sign. Let your glass do the walking once your back there and pay attention to sign.

Flazyj

FNG
Where I’ve hunted them, a hidey hole with everything he needs, food, water, security and cover. If they find that all in a small space, they can be difficult to hunt unless something forces them to move. It’s not uncommon for several to bunch up, so if you find one, look closely, could be a couple more near.
This is solid advice in my opinion.

Depending on the area you hunt, spot and stalk, or in most cases, hear and stalk. I find the elk in the timber by listening for snaps and pops or for vocal cows. Calling can also get a response that can help you get a fix on the elks position. Then the real challenge begins, stalking in close for a shot, good luck.