Montana Late Season Cow Elk

Merry Christmas friends!

It’s finally snowing here in Billings and it’s got me thinking about chasing late season elk up north of town. I’ve never killed one myself but my uncle got one during the shoulder season a few years ago and it seems like we run into them randomly. We’ve seen some sign along the ranch roads during the regular season but by the tracks it looks like small groups passing through the ranch. Does anyone have any good tips for chasing cows in the late season?

Thanks in advance!
Grant

2-Stix

WKR
jump on fresh tracks and follow them till you find them if your in timber...glass and spot and stock if not.

fresh snow if your friend...this is how I hunt them in OR

OP
T
jump on fresh tracks and follow them till you find them if your in timber...glass and spot and stock if not.

fresh snow if your friend...this is how I hunt them in OR
not a ton of timber since it’s mostly sandstone canyons but I’ll definitely keep that in mind. When we’ve seen them in past years they’ve been cruising through the areas with more tree cover so that makes sense.

2-Stix

WKR
they will work out of the timber a bit, but stay close to cover...you want a skiff of snow and follow the tracks...good luck.

Hnttillmt

FNG
I’m assuming you have access to a bunch of private? With the fresh snow they should be easy to spot from a long ways away or like stated tracking snow will be your friend.