Kuiu sock review

I just got done testing these socks. Before I tell you about them. I'm generally a Kuiu supporter and take everything with a grain of salt. I'm very happy with my Kuiu clothing and the Icon Pro backpack. The ultra 6000 was my first major disappoint from them. The socks are now my second. I spent just a couple of days testing them doing some mild hiking and wore them 48 straight hours to test the odor amplitude. The craftsmanship and fit are about the worst of any sock I have tried in the last 10 years. The first thing I noticed was the baggy feel and lack of any structure/support to hold onto my calfs. They quickly started to bunch up in my boots and down both calfs. Yes, I ordered the proper size. The third was the thickness and quick overheating with mild hiking. I'm a motivated hiker and need thinner socks to keep my foot sweat/smell down. I sent all the socks back and will be sticking to my Fits but may try the firstlite with compression for kicks. This is just my 2 cents. I hope they work for you if you give them a go but Kuiu should leave socks to sock companies at this time.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for testing and posting up your experience as it can sometimes seem intimidating to discuss kuiu good or bad.

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear your review. I have multiple kuiu clothing items and like them all. I normally wear Kenentrek Canada or Alaska sock. I also wear darn tough socks but tend to be on the warm side. I was thinking about buying the Kuiu sock to test them out but I may hold off a while to see what others say.

IdahoElk

WKR
What size is your foot and what size sock did you buy?
I'm a 9.5 foot size and bought the mediums and in a week I've done 4 hikes 4-5 miles round trip 1500' vertical each time,weighted pack and I think they're great and after a week of not washing them they still fit tight like the first day I put them on.Amazing how we are at opposite ends with our opinions?
Oh,and I have a set of first lite compression socks and the second time I put them on I tore a hole in them pulling them up my leg.Ice breakers,darn tough and so far the Kuiu's have been my favorite.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I just ordered some. Size 12 boot, ordered larges as everyone says they appear to run a bit big. Will post my thoughts next week...

gsjackson

FNG
Dear all,

I have had my KUIU socks for some time...tried them on yesterday to use in a cowboy boot to see how they work
as I have a big bull elk hunt next week (I know the boot types are not the same...). They have worked great for me. Yes, I am a KUIU fan - have much of what they
sell and have not been disappointed and the socks were no exception. I found the different areas of thickness to be very helpful.
KUIU has a new YouTube out today where the owner of KUIU discusses the sock in some detail - maybe helpful for some.
I will let you know, when I return, how the socks hold up on my elk hunt...
My perspective.

Last edited:

gsjackson

FNG
Glad to hear... I am a 9.5 size and the large size does seem a little too big for me. I did not hear that the sock size runs a little big, as another member has stated.
KUIU is suppose to bring out a higher - near knee-high size - later in the year and will probably buy a medium based on my limited experience.

idig4au

WKR
If its not broken, don't fix it. I'm sticking with my Darn Tough socks as I finally found a sock that performs well and doesn't give blisters.

I'm a huge KUIU supporter with their clothing line and sleep system which I use exclusively with much satisfaction. But I will not be changing to their socks, even if its the next best thing since sliced bread as my Darn Tough socks work perfectly. There is nothing worse than feet that are destroyed on a long hunt or even a long hike. I'm just not prepared to make the move and start over again.

Its refreshing to see a company push the boundary on improving performance. Companies like Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite sure provide us a lot of options and raise the bar for other companies to match. In only leads to more options for the consumer for high quality gear.

Last edited:
OP
elkeaterco
What size is your foot and what size sock did you buy?
I'm a 9.5 foot size and bought the mediums and in a week I've done 4 hikes 4-5 miles round trip 1500' vertical each time,weighted pack and I think they're great and after a week of not washing them they still fit tight like the first day I put them on.Amazing how we are at opposite ends with our opinions?
Oh,and I have a set of first lite compression socks and the second time I put them on I tore a hole in them pulling them up my leg.Ice breakers,darn tough and so far the Kuiu's have been my favorite.

I wear 11-11.5 so ran with the large according to their sizing chart.

kuiusocks_zps8d20de48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

geriggs

WKR
I got mine today and wore them. They are not an early season sock. I was walking around cabelas in my salomon quest 4d and socks... They were very warm. More than I thought they would be. They did not hug my calves like darn tough do. The jury is still out. I'm going to hunt in them in the next few weeks so we will see.