Kuiu pants vs Sitka pants

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both the Ascent and Attack. I personally think the Attacks are the best pant that I have worn by far. They are just so dang comfortable! I also really like the quad zip that they have. I will say that I did put 3 seasons on my Ascents and never had any real problems with them. Just a few holes in the ankle area from snagging deadfalls. And I beat the crap out of those pants. But if I had to choose one it would be the Attacks.

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I have also owned the Sitka Ascent and the Kuiu Attack pants and they are both great but I would give the nod to the Attacks as well. The side zip and overall functionality is a 10/10 in my mind.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually I've been waiting for at least 3 months for 34" tall ascent pants to be in stock on Sitka's website....weird.

I think the differential is that Sitka's stuff can be found in store fronts and at dealers. Their website can sell out fast, typically one can find a dealer out there somewhere. I really like my Mountain pants, but find the the Ascent pants fit snugger than I prefer.

I was wearing my Ascent pants hiking around Mt St Helens with my father in-law last year. He said "You look uncomfortable in those pants." Pretty much summed it up right there! : ) For non-knee pad pants, the fit and feel of the Attacks is hard to beat.

The pant I really want to try is that *Corrugated Guide Pants from First Lite. While I like the Attacks, the pockets have always bugged me. Guide pants look promising...
(*I may have the exact name of the Pants wrong, can't find my catalog)

JWP58

WKR
I think the differential is that Sitka's stuff can be found in store fronts and at dealers. Their website can sell out fast, typically one can find a dealer out there somewhere.

Well if I have to pay retail, I'd wait for the attacks, as they are cheaper then the ascent's. Or I could wait for either/or comes in stock first.

I have a pair of Kuiu attack pants with one season on them. My brother chose the Sitka timberline pants. I like the Sitka pants better. The Kuiu pants are just a hair too tight. While I do not want baggy pants I like a little room. I own both Kuiu and Sitka clothing, they both make great stuff. I just like the Sitka pants better.

TylerW

FNG
No Sitka paint use but I used the attack pants on my SD mule deer hunt and I can't say anything bad about them, a slimmer fit than my carhartts but not bad, the vents are awesome when hiking.

Mudd Foot

WKR
The Kuiu Attack's fabric is slightly more substantial than the Ascents. As mentioned, the Kuiu leg vents are fantastic, and I prefer the fit of the Attacks.

Both companies have excellent products, but I don't call this one even close. The Attack pant offers a more protective, slightly weightier fabric. The quad-vent zips are outstanding on warm days. Excellent pocket construction and articulated leg design. The Attack just feels like a very high quality product, and I find them extremely comfortable in use.

md126

WKR
Really like all my Sitka Gear and their customer service is outstanding. KUIU seems like quality gear too but they always seem to have supply and back order issues

I've never used kuiu, but I have both the Sitka ascent and the mountain pants.

Ascents are lighter weight and super stretchy, hardly know that they are on.

If you want more weight and substance to your pants, get the mountains. They are still a lightweight synthetic pant, but a little thicker. I prefer the mountain pants for the most part, but have the ascents for summer hikes and that sort of stuff.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
I'm ready to order then, should be an awesome pant for hunting and daily wear.

I have a 2015 catalog so I looked up the Mountain Pants. For 2015 Sitka is releasing the Mountain Pants in a solid color called Pyrite. Its a grayish brownish color. Sweetness!!! :)

I'm ready to order then, should be an awesome pant for hunting and daily wear.

Just an FYI...I hunt hard and managed to rip apart my mountain pants climbing over deadfall in the coastal NW old growth rainforest chasing elk. The Timberline pants with reinforced seat have since worked out much better for me.

davescarp

WKR
bouncing this old thread back up. I'm considering the sitka mt. and the timberline. Anyone have both and can compare the fabric? Is it the same on both pants or is the timberline thicker/warmer? I'm looking for something for colder weather still hunting... Also considering the 90% pant too as there's usually snow on the ground that time of year.

Kotaman

WKR
bouncing this old thread back up. I'm considering the sitka mt. and the timberline. Anyone have both and can compare the fabric? Is it the same on both pants or is the timberline thicker/warmer? I'm looking for something for colder weather still hunting... Also considering the 90% pant too as there's usually snow on the ground that time of year.

Yes, I have both. They are essentially the same pant but the Timberlines have the knees and seat. I like that in cold weather and find that with long underwear, I can wear the Timberlines DEEP into winter. The new 90% pant is much lighter fabric and wouldn't wear them late season.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
As an alternative check out the ESW Pants also very nice and the pants have some pretty neat features. Like rolling the lower calf leg up. Turns them into huck fin pants. Nice for when your doing water crossing and don't want to get them wet. Material is on par maybe a little thinner then the mountain pants. Same stretch fabric though.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Mountain Pants are more of a loose cut compared to the Timberlines in my opinion. I like the fact that the Timberlines have zippers on the hip pockets as well vs the Mountain Pants. The water proof knees and butt on the Timberlines is also a huge plus for me in the later seasons. Timberlines will be a warmer pant..

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a pair of Ascents and I have to say they would be my new favorite pair of pants if they came with the hip zips. Having a set of hip zips increases the functionality of a pair of pants ten fold. I've got tiburons, ascents, attack, timberline, and guide. They all have their place, I wore a pair of guides with under armor long johns on a -40 degree deer hunt last year(I was walking and make heat like a furnace).

I used the attacks last year and was blown away at the temperature swings I could take them though. It rained for 4 days straight and I wore a pair of gaitors and no rain pants. The attacks dried very quickly, almost dry in 20 minutes after we started a fire.

It's a tough choice you have, they are all good but I'd give the edge to the attacks because of the hip zips and the versatility they add.