Kuiu pants vs Sitka pants

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guide pants shine in the late season when it is cold and nasty....they shed snow and water very well and are warm and snuggly.

gmajor

WKR
Any reason that you wouldn't consider the Kuiu guide pant for a late season pant? I'm kind of in the same situation as you..my attacks are my all around's right now, but they do get chilly towards the end of oct and nov..

I like the material on the knees and seat of the timberlines (can't wait for fewer wet ass situations haha), and I use earth tones (no camo patterns).

I gotcha! I hear ya on the colors, I have the attacks in major brown and the phantom color...wish Kuiu had solid options for all their pants..

Lindley

FNG
Any reason that you wouldn't consider the Kuiu guide pant for a late season pant? I'm kind of in the same situation as you..my attacks are my all around's right now, but they do get chilly towards the end of oct and nov..

It seems like the KUIU Chinook pants would work well for what you are looking for.

I have them and use them in this order: KUIU Tiburon (hot dry weather) => Prana Zion Stretch and Kuhl Renegades (warm to cool) => Sitka Grinder (cooler weather & some moisture) => KUIU Chinook (cool to cold or really cold + base layer but dry) => Sitka Timberline (cold or rough + wet & windy, but not wet enough for raingear / hardshell)

Having said that, I think the Chinooks are warmer than the Timberline when worn alone. Because the Chinooks are more breathable, they are also less weatherproof and windproof than the Timberlines. They can be worn comfortably without any base layer, but offer plenty of room for layering. I also appreciate that they are NOT doing the skinny-jean leg thing (First Lite Corrugates) and don't give me any trouble fitting over my boots. If I want a tapered leg, I'll strap on gaiters rather than be forced to walk around like MC Hammer or Michael Jackson doing the Thriller dance. My only complaint with the Chinook pants are that they are not offered in a solid color.

Because of the fall / winter temperatures I hunt in, the Chinook pants will see the most use this year. For milder and slightly wet conditions, the Grinder pants are pretty sweet and offer a great fit and plenty of stretch (they come in a solid color too). For any more serious wind or more rugged terrain, I think the Timberlines are damn tough to beat.

Those are just my thoughts.

gmajor

WKR
It seems like the KUIU Chinook pants would work well for what you are looking for.

I have them and use them in this order: KUIU Tiburon (hot dry weather) => Prana Zion Stretch and Kuhl Renegades (warm to cool) => Sitka Grinder (cooler weather & some moisture) => KUIU Chinook (cool to cold or really cold + base layer but dry) => Sitka Timberline (cold or rough + wet & windy, but not wet enough for raingear / hardshell)

Having said that, I think the Chinooks are warmer than the Timberline when worn alone. Because the Chinooks are more breathable, they are also less weatherproof and windproof than the Timberlines. They can be worn comfortably without any base layer, but offer plenty of room for layering. I also appreciate that they are NOT doing the skinny-jean leg thing (First Lite Corrugates) and don't give me any trouble fitting over my boots. If I want a tapered leg, I'll strap on gaiters rather than be forced to walk around like MC Hammer or Michael Jackson doing the Thriller dance. My only complaint with the Chinook pants are that they are not offered in a solid color.

Because of the fall / winter temperatures I hunt in, the Chinook pants will see the most use this year. For milder and slightly wet conditions, the Grinder pants are pretty sweet and offer a great fit and plenty of stretch (they come in a solid color too). For any more serious wind or more rugged terrain, I think the Timberlines are damn tough to beat.

Those are just my thoughts.

Much appreciated. Makes me think that I made the right move ordering the timberlines. I'm fairly confident that I can layer up the pranas and extend their capabilities. I also wasn't kidding about that kiwi approach. I'm heading down there in december, not for a hunt (but I'm managing to get out for one day of deer hunting during the 2 weeks I'm there). A lot of those guys use slim fleece pants and short shorts over them for abrasion and water resistance on the seat (+ a thin baselayer if weather necessitates). I'm planning to give that a whirl at some point - sounds good for early october hunting. Maybe just for the ridiculous pictures haha.