Kuiu pants vs Sitka pants

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka Pants: The Mountain pants don't come in solid (unless they change that for 2015), Timberlines and Ascent do. I have a pair of the Ascents, but they don't fit me right. Size 32 in the dune color. I like looser fitting pants than these are.

Sitka Pants: The Mountain pants don't come in solid (unless they change that for 2015), Timberlines and Ascent do. I have a pair of the Ascents, but they don't fit me right. Size 32 in the dune color. I like looser fitting pants than these are.

They offer 3 pants in solids. Ascent, grinder, and timberline.

i really like the timberlines but they are just too dang heavy. 36oz for a pair of pants is nuts. arcteryx has a similar pant but a lightweight version that i want to try out. Has a burlier fabric on the knees and seat area. only 12 oz. design is much more simple and cuts out weight. i really like the sitka stuff but on some things i think they add too many un-needed features that cause excess weight.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Pants&model=Gamma-Rock-Pant

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
My personal favorites for early season are the Kuiu Attack , and I do own the Sitka Ascent pants. When the temps start to drop, my new favorite is the Sitka Timberline.

sr80

WKR
Another positive for the sitka pants, at least for me is that you can use suspenders and I really like the silicone/rubbery lining in the waist to keep your shirt tucked in. I find that my pack pushes my pants down in the back so the suspenders keep that from happening.

I have used both sitka ascent and kuiu attack. Sitka have more of a loose/relaxed fit while the kuiu are more of an athletic fit which i prefer! I developed a tear in the crotch on the ascents and feel the attack pants are more durable! Both are great pants though!

Tried mountain pants for the first time last fall and thought they were great. Hoping for a solid in the mountain.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, no solids in the Mountain pant is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather just buy another pair of Attacks in that case.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, no solids in the Mountain pant is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather just buy another pair of Attacks in that case.
I have a 2015 catalog so I looked up the Mountain Pants. For 2015 Sitka is releasing the Mountain Pants in a solid color called Pyrite. Its a grayish brownish color. Sweetness!!! :)

winter

FNG
I think the mountain pants are the best thought out pant out there. Built in belt is probably the sweetest thing. The cargo pockets are perfect. Only complaint is here in CO with the intense sun, they (and all my sitka stuff) fades pretty bad. But I sure love those pants. I have the attack and the first lite kanabs as well. They are all great, just really like the built in belt. For stink factor the first lite win every time. The attack pants are great as well. Lots of good option for hunters these days.

OP
the_bowhunter

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I only have the sitka. They work great for me. They are the only hunting clothes that actually fit. We have a lot of briers in the S.E., and the fabric gets picked out from the thorns tearing at the fabric. I have not tried Kuiu, but I imagine it would be the same. Not a complaint, just an observation.

The pockets are just what I need. I have a system of what goes where, and it works with Sitka. You probably won't go wrong with either. Do you have a buddy/shop with any of the clothing? See if you can try it on first.

No shops anywhere near me out here in west Texas, I can try on sitka at a cabelas but that's 3-4 hours away, no where to try on kuiu

Kotaman

WKR
I have a 2015 catalog so I looked up the Mountain Pants. For 2015 Sitka is releasing the Mountain Pants in a solid color called Pyrite. Its a grayish brownish color. Sweetness!!! :)

I was told "Pyrite" was cancelled for 2015. I had a pair pre-ordered in Pyrite and was told it is a "no go"... 😥

I have both the Sitka Ascents (tan) and the Mountain Pants (opti). I really like them both. For early season when it's warm, the Ascents are a great pant. I wear them mountain climbing in the summer, and also wear them in the fall/winter for chukar hunting.

For cooler weather and possible precipitation, I love the Mountain Pants. I've worn them in -10 conditions in November with merino long johns. Any colder than that and I'd be wanting my Filson pants.

I had a pair of Sitka ascents and they lasted 2 hunts and started to fall apart? Maybe a bad apple. Never tried the timberlines. I like KUIU attacks. Sweet pants.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto on the Stika Ascents. Crotch ripped out. I am now wearing a pair of Mammut pants made with a stretchy Schoeller fabric in a light beige. They are awesome. Good pocket placement. DWR. Snapping strap around the ankle to hold the pant on my boot. Purchased from Sierra Trading Post for about $40.