Kubota vs John Deere

My Kubota MX5200 has been perfect for the first 650 hours. The emission garbage worries me a little but it hasn’t failed yet. I have many friends with Kubotas. One is in the nursery business and he has several. He swears by them and has made a living using them. I have no experience with the green machines and cannot provide any help there.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Why a tractor?

If you’re talking about taking care of pasture land I can see that making sense.

If you’re talking non pasture stereotypical North Idaho land it’d be tough for me to look past the appropriate climate controlled skid steer outfitted with the necessary attachments.

Having maintained 21 acres of broken timber and pasture here with a Kioti DK45SE and virtually every implement imaginable…there is zero chance I’d choose a tractor over a skid steer if I wasn’t worried about the pasture land.

Also, stop in at Jordan Tractor Sales. I’ve had EXCEPTIONAL service there.

Also, when you’re up and running, if you run into any maintenance issues you can not solve on your own, Compact Tractor Services (Casey Brackett) is one heck of a problem solver/mechanic and will come to you.

jimh406

WKR
Do the Kubotas still have that treadle? Never could wrap my head around how that wouldn’t be a pain.
Obviously people have their preferences, but I feel like anyone can get used to the other design. It's not like driving a JD is exactly like a car. That is, no cars that I know of have a different pedal for forward and reverse.

I have a Kubota, and don't find the treadle to be any issue at all for me.

Kubota L4650GST 4wd 2005 model
782 hours
Great tractor for my 35ac farm plenty of power for my FEL and implements

My buddies have switched from green to orange for their newer tractors. Not sure why but they did.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Kubotas, and while they don’t live a hard, they have been very reliable and user friendly. Both had very generous 0% financing, warranty and insurance.

Tractor - M7060 (with 4wd) open cab, mainly used in the summer for brush hogging and moving brush/trees with the grapple. I had to add the 3rd function splitter because it was not available through the dealer.

Skid/Track Steer - SVL 75-2 with high flow and climate controlled. Helps in the snow removal in winter and fencing with auger in the summer.

As others have said, what are you using it for and what type of terrain. If it was generally relatively flat, I would just go with track steer. I could really just use the skid but it loses some power going up hill.

Also, the hydraulics on the skid steer are substantially better and the wider range of implements make it a plus.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
What horsepower range are you looking at? Buying used or buying new? We run both Deere and Kubota equipment ranging from 75hp to 175hp. If the Kubota dealer didn’t sit between the ranches I manage I wouldn’t own one. The only advantage my Kubota tractor offers me is quick parts pick up. Who can you get parts from quicker? I know I have issues occasionally with getting Kubota parts shipped in from Japan. That said, I had a brand new John Deere mower break a drive shaft last summer. It was a discontinued model and took a month to find someone willing to let me have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
I have a small Kubota LX that I really like so far. I don't know enough people with a JD or New Holland to compare though.

My favorite implement so far is a stump bucket-grapple which requires a 3rd function switch on the front. You can do a lot with this.

Things that are nice about a tractor are the lower cost, the variety of implements like a flail mower/brush hog, it doesn't tear up the ground or the road when for instance plowing snow, and it is light to transport.

Things that I have learned:
-get the biggest tractor that you can afford and still get into the spots that you need it, and also be able to transport safely with your size of truck and trailer.
-mostly I get limited not by tractor horse power but rather by tractor traction & size/counter weight. I think getting the back wheels filled with the fluid at the dealer helped some with this.

I do have a couple of big jobs I will need done at some point (e.g. digging 4ft deep water pipe line a couple hundred feet), so I am just going to hire someone with the right larger tool and experience to get that done quickly and efficiently.

There is a manufacturer in Sagle, ID that makes some great axle strap kits for securing tractors, UTVs, etc. to your trailer, making the job really easy.

Dogone

FNG
Do NOT get one without front wheel assist. You will never regret it. Kubota is the big seller here under 100 hp. Bigger would go to JD and New Holland

Mike7

WKR
I couldn't remember the name of the company that makes the tiedowns. Here they are.

I have nothing bad to say about this kit below so far...worth ever penny.

I did switch out the axle straps in the kit with their lasso axle straps though for no difference in cost.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Kubota has multi direction hydraulics (lift AND tilt bucket at same time) and takes normal skid steer attachment. That alone is worth more to me than a color or name brand. Even if the Kubota shop was 2x the distance.

JD has lift OR tilt, unless you find the g spot on the machine and JD only attachments unless you buy a third party universal skid steer. Which pushes your attachments our farther and lowers lifting capacity.

This is in smaller L,bx, b or 3 or 4 series and lower. Non commercial equipment. Not familiar with commercial. Just hobby or home owner.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Why a tractor?

If you’re talking about taking care of pasture land I can see that making sense.

If you’re talking non pasture stereotypical North Idaho land it’d be tough for me to look past the appropriate climate controlled skid steer outfitted with the necessary attachments.

Having maintained 21 acres of broken timber and pasture here with a Kioti DK45SE and virtually every implement imaginable…there is zero chance I’d choose a tractor over a skid steer if I wasn’t worried about the pasture land.

Also, stop in at Jordan Tractor Sales. I’ve had EXCEPTIONAL service there.

Also, when you’re up and running, if you run into any maintenance issues you can not solve on your own, Compact Tractor Services (Casey Brackett) is one heck of a problem solver/mechanic and will come to you.
Agree with this 100%. Skid steer is the way to go. Been lucky to have ran every major brand with multiple samples of each. If I was spending my own hard earned money on a skid steer it would be a Kubota SVL97 or a Takeuchi TL22.

IMG_6037.jpeg

IMG_6036.jpeg

OP
M
I have 32 acres, that is a combo of flat field, steep timbered hill side and swamp. Alot of the work would be so, i don't have to use a wheel barrow. I plow alot of gravel up in the winter and respread it in the spring. Been doing this with a wheel barrow and shovel and 55 it might be time to look for some help doing chores around the place. I have been at my place for 20 + years, so i don't need one, but it would be nice to have one. 4 wheel drive would be a must, also a brush hog , bucket and forks. I have dabbled with tractors, but i don't know much about them. A few years back, i did learn, they do not skid logs as well as my truck though. No food plots or anything like that. Just basic maintence around the place. I do not have much flat land at all, my house actually sits on a 130 foot cliff.

LostArra

WKR
I have 32 acres, that is a combo of flat field, steep timbered hill side and swamp. Alot of the work would be so, i don't have to use a wheel barrow. I plow alot of gravel up in the winter and respread it in the spring. Been doing this with a wheel barrow and shovel and 55 it might be time to look for some help doing chores around the place. I have been at my place for 20 + years, so i don't need one, but it would be nice to have one. 4 wheel drive would be a must, also a brush hog , bucket and forks. I have dabbled with tractors, but i don't know much about them. A few years back, i did learn, they do not skid logs as well as my truck though. No food plots or anything like that. Just basic maintence around the place. I do not have much flat land at all, my house actually sits on a 130 foot cliff.

Kubota Mx series or comparable green or blue one

Immediately put wheelbarrow on Craigslist

Sounds like you are giving yourself a bit of a well-deserved promotion, as you should. While you are at it, get one with a cab. Also, get the 3rd function on the Front End Loader so you can get a root grapple rake when you are ready.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Kubota has always been the most tractor for your dollar, John deere might have better resale, but service and availability should be a big factor

Weldor

WKR
Don't forget you have to pay for that green paint. I run a Kubota and a Case skip loader. Nothing against Deere , but you get alot for money with Kubota or even a Yanmar. Like everyone said buy more than you need if you can.

What are you looking to spend?

My parents have a 26 HP kubota b2650 (basically same as current LX2610) and I have a 37 HP Kubota L3560. They both get used for property maint but the B2650 with a snowblower is the primary snow remover in a rural property in northern MN. While a lot of work gets done with the little b2650, it feels way smaller, is less stable, and feels kind of like a toy compared to the L3650.

I really feel like the L3560 is tops in that class tractors. It has 3 pt lift and weight (what is most important for doing lots of work) of many of the 50 hp class compact tractors. Has the fantastic HST+ transmission with hi/low for each of the 3 gears and stall guard. The only place i've found HP limiting for my uses is when mowing thick willows and grass with a 6' flail mower, i have to slow down. A 5' mower would have been a better fit but none were in stock when I bought. The LE edition is barely any more expensive than the lighter, smaller, lesser equipped standard L series kubotas and notably cheaper than comparable 3039R deere tractors.

The mx kubotas are a nice option with more HP, bigger tires, slightly heavier weight, similar hydraulics, and lesser transmissions for a little more $.

If you want most capability for the $ the 5e series deeres seem to have a lot of weight, hp, and lifting capacity for the $ but are made in india and I've seen mixed reliability reviews.

Phaseolus

WKR
Make sure it’s based on a 60” wheel width. A fair number of ‘hobby’ tractors are narrower and won’t fit the standard 30” row width.

We have a 22 year old 43 HP (Yanmar engine) JD4600 MFD tractor with hydrostatic drive with a front end loader and 480 series backhoe mounted. Bought used 16 years ago. Been a very good unit first in CO at our 10,000' place south of Leadville, then moved it north to BC. Did a ton of snow removal with rear blower on the three-point in CO, brush hogging sage, dirt work etc.

In BC we've done the landscaping on a new house build, graveled and now maintain the long driveway and parking areas, dug garden plots and tree holes to remove the rocks, used a 5' wide rock bucket to (all tines on 2-3/4" centers...and a tad large for the 43 hp tractor). Sold off the snow blower and heated cab down in CO as we have a much more moderate climate here along the river in BC.

Now at about 2500 hours it does the rare snow removal work when the banks get too big for the quad, it gets used for as a mobile wheelbarrow for the wife's garden and landscape revisions, and the backhoe is on standby to dig up any water line issues (used twice for that).

We have had to replace the hydro transmission foot petal control valve to stop the tractor from creeping when neither the forward or reverse pedal were engaged, plus we replaced a leaky front wheel seal. Not too bad for 16 years of use. And the tractor starts right up, summer or winter. We do prefer to plug in the block heater prior to use in the winter but haven't found it totally necessary.