Kubota vs John Deere

I am looking at getting a tractor for my place in north idaho. I am not a farmer or rancher, just some one who has to take care of some land.
I have a better relationship with the john deere dealer, than i do the kubota dealer, but i have heard rumors that say kubota is the better of the 2 brands. So basically is it a ford vs chevy argument and just go with the dealer you have a relationship with? i am leaning towards kubota for some strange reason. Basically the ranch i drive by everyday switched to kubota from john deere.

thanks
tim

wyosteve

WKR
I don't know in the current John Deere line, but they used to use Yanmar diesel engines if I recall correctly, not their in-house manufactured ones. Personally, I'd go Kubota. They are a long time engine manufacturer and have a good reputation. I have a Kubota in my Bobcat and it's been flawless.

jimh406

WKR
Either can be fine. What each offers varies quite a bit. Kubota has a lot more smaller cab models, for instance. JD has more sizes with a midmount mower if that is what you want.

Have fun shopping.

No dog in the fight as I don't own either but I do have a freind that works for JD as an assembly tech and he has told me a few times he would never purchase one himself.....not exactly what you want to hear from someone that works on that equipment daily. My dad has an older kubota and it has been great.

bozeman

WKR
Yes, test drive them. Some will offer a discount if you test drive and decide to buy! I had a JD3038 for a few years and it was a great little tractor!

Buzby

WKR
I have a 2003 Yanmar built Deere. It has been flawless. Don’t let the Yanmar engines turn you away. They make a lot of industrial diesels for construction, generators etc.

Both make great machines. The controls are a bit different, so you might find a preference there. Demo a couple of each, I’d bet you end up preferring one over the other.

I have a Kubota M4D-071 that I use on my ranch. I have always been under the impression that if you are going under 100 hp then Kubota is the answer. Mine has been an awesome machine for me.

I wouldn't buy a tractor that isn't 4WD. Also get a 3rd function added and pick up a grapple. Super handy around the ranch.

No dog in the fight as I don't own either but I do have a freind that works for JD as an assembly tech and he has told me a few times he would never purchase one himself.....not exactly what you want to hear from someone that works on that equipment daily. My dad has an older kubota and it has been great.
My wife worked on the Pella window and door lines for 17 years and used to say the same thing. She quit about 10 years ago and things haven't gotten any better.

I have a 2004 Kubota B2410 with 3 cylinder diesel, 60" belly mower, and loader. It has 20ish PTO horse and I easily run a 5' tiller for garden and food plots. I also run a 6' finish mower without any issue. The 4wd hydro is bullet proof and in the winter I run a 300 pound sand box on the back when moving snow. I can't count how many tons of snow this compact tractor has moved. It doesn't owe me a thing, and the only problem I've ever had is a leaking front axle seal. With regular maintenance they will last a very long time through some terrible abuse.

If you can find an older model without def, egr, safety seat switches, etc..., I would say go for it. They're easily upgradeable for back hoes, quick connect buckets, etc...

I forgot to mention, I also run an antique 25' wide single stage disc for food plots as well. Even with the wings folded in, I've never had any issues pulling it in 4wd and it does a nice job turning dirt.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Do the Kubotas still have that treadle? Never could wrap my head around how that wouldn’t be a pain. Don’t know much about the smaller Deere equipment but have heard a fair amount of recent complaints on the bigger equipment.

I am looking at getting a tractor for my place in north idaho. I am not a farmer or rancher, just some one who has to take care of some land.
I have a better relationship with the john deere dealer, than i do the kubota dealer, but i have heard rumors that say kubota is the better of the 2 brands. So basically is it a ford vs chevy argument and just go with the dealer you have a relationship with? i am leaning towards kubota for some strange reason. Basically the ranch i drive by everyday switched to kubota from john deere.

thanks
tim
Most folks I know who are just doing a couple acres of food plots and bush hogging are using Kubotas, I think in large part, because they are cheaper.

Folks I know who are moving hay bales, plowing substantial acreage, working on roads, and other heavier duty stuff use either JD, New Holland, or Massey Ferguson.

John Deere is a classic brand but I've heard negative things about them the last few years in terms of maintenance. Also some gripes about how most everything is made in India now instead of Illinois.

I'm a New Holland guy myself, and I do think relationship with your dealer matters, especially the service dept, however New Holland service interval is every 500 hrs so I don't see them very often ;)

What HP are you looking at?

What kinds of chores will you be doing?

Any specific models you are looking at?

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Love my bx23s for home and small farm use. I have 300 hours on mine in a little over a year and not one single issue besides a loose hydro line within the first 15 hours. Only thing I regret is not buying one years ago.

What would you use it for?

In my research and estimation one isn't better than the other across their entire lines. A lot probably depends on your use case and model comparison. Deere didn't have a model that was as attractive to me as a kubota L3560 for my use case (small, primarily whitetail hunting property work) but that doesn't mean kubota is better for everyone.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
HP is relevant because Kubota had major issues with the emissions on machines from 2014 until recently. HP range 27-50ish. Our company operates 20+ odd Kubota tractors. John Deere typically have more creature comforts. Kubotas are typically cheaper.. Dealer support matters as well.

Last edited: