Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Thousands of dollars for a nonresident to fly to Kodiak makes super expensive meat whether allowed one deer or three. Are people really deciding where to hunt by dollars per pound of meat? That is kind of repulsive.

It is about the adventure and getting away from work. It sounds like many transporters were maxed out and not able to accommodate everyone so there likely will only be a minimal reduction in hunters.

The impact is likely to be that transporters may not be booked up years in advance, NRs will be pickier with the first buck they shoot, and there might be more transporter availability for AK residents.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Thousands of dollars for a nonresident to fly to Kodiak makes super expensive meat whether allowed one deer or three. Are people really deciding where to hunt by dollars per pound of meat? That is kind of repulsive.

Ummmmm, I am a bit confused. I thought that we were hunting to provide tasty free range meat to our families.
To avoid repulsive hunting ethics could you please give us some guidelines???….

So what you are saying is, If those of us from Alaska want to come down to the lower 48 and hunt, we should be allowed to kill 3 deer in Oregon just to make it "worth our while"?
Be my guest.
But with the abundance of deer in AK I don't think there is an AK resident good enough to find 3 deer in Oregon. Especially in a week.

There is a big difference in a biological reason, and the fact AK residents are better about crying to the govt rather then just hunting harder.
Biologically I think Oregon should quit mule deer hunting all together for at least 3-5 years.

But if we had numbers I wouldn't cry about competition.

Last edited:

Bighorn80

FNG
Be my guest.
But with the abundance of deer in AK I don't think there is an AK resident good enough to find 3 deer in Oregon. Especially in a week.

There is a big difference in a biological reason, and the fact AK residents are better about crying to the govt rather then just hunting harder.
Biologically I think Oregon should quit mule deer hunting all together for at least 3-5 years.

But if we had numbers I wouldn't cry about competition.
You would if there was a truck in every pull out, a side by side on every ridge, and camo clad people from all over the country flocking there to kill three mule deer bucks.... then posting it on SM to invite everyone else that didnt show up.... every year! You'd be crying

You would if there was a truck in every pull out, a side by side on every ridge, and camo clad people from all over the country flocking there to kill three mule deer bucks.... then posting it on SM to invite everyone else that didnt show up.... every year! You'd be crying
exactly, its pretty said when you fly out to hunt some where and you need spots A, B, C, D and E incase there is someone in every other spot.

Lots of trucks and sxs out in the bays on Kodiak?

Guess you should of told those transporters not to advertise.

Oregon gets a ton of pressure and I just keep doing me.

You also don't need to higher a transporter to get around Oregon. So the cost for 1 deer vs 3 isn't even the same ball park.

Can't believe you're so upset that other people enjoy what you do.
Just keep it all to yourself. Yeah thats the way.

Ya'll should of made advertising and guiding illegal years ago i guess. SM found out about it some how.

Ohh that's rite you needed our money.

Ohh that's rite you needed our money.

It's not just our money they need. We need to take the time and send in comments. They are going to lose some hunting privileges. I can't believe we are worried about them taking away our opportunities while they are losing theirs. So selfish of all us non res.

It's not just our money they need. We need to take the time and send in comments. They are going to lose some hunting privileges. I can't believe we are worried about them taking away our opportunities while they are losing theirs. So selfish of all us non res.

So your saying R and NR should quit trying to take away from each other and work together to try and keep hunting for all of us?

Nah let's all just hate each other and argue on Rokslide.

I love it! I hope they do the same with all of SE, otherwise the pressure will just shift. NR get the scraps in just about every other state, about time Alaska started cutting them off.
I don’t think it will shift much, Kodiak is a pretty unique situation, people are not going to go to POW blind in November and kill 6 bucks for 3 guys in a week… I do think making the rest of the state 2 for NR, but if it’s not a population issue, it certainly won’t be an overcrowding issue, so why?

I have always appreciated how AK runs things, they are by far the most comprehensive hands on wildlife agency in the country, so I will respect any decision they make, I have dealt with several biologists up there when I was working up there and it was mind blowing vs down here… selfishly, I would like the option to kill a couple deer when I make time to chase them.

Sounds like I better prioritize a trip sooner than later if I want that option

Why do we allow Social Media to have this impact on us? We need a boycott! The only way to turn the tide is to stop watching, stop clicking and for heavens sake stop liking, following and subscribing. If you do these things you are a contributor to the problem. It’s time to get harsh about it.
Well, then you could call me a visionary 😉

I rarely watch hunting videos, and if I do it’s no name people, I got sick of the influencer content pretty quickly and am not on any of the big social media sites like IG, FB, etc…

It wasn’t a conscious decision to boycott influencers, I just don’t care for it and don’t like what it’s done for fishing and hunting. I’m not full Matt Rinella, but I don’t care for the scene, the whole influencer thing is pretty gross, especially considering most of them are regurgitating stuff they read/watched on the internet and are trusted over people who really know what they’re talking about, but don’t have the popularity

chucko

FNG
My bucket list deer hunt is Northern Maine however being from Alaska it will cost me several thousand dollars in license fees-travel expenses- rental truck all for the chance of getting to hunt a deer in its northernmost setting-sound familiar and yeah you bet your ass I am going

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
It's always tough when regs get slashed for one reason or the other. Trust me i know, ive been a fishing guide in SE AK for the last 8 years.I do understand people that want to get the most bang for your buck (pun intended).

Even though our limits have changed, people still keep coming. I think that even if they did start looking around they will find a tough time finding fishing better anywhere else. I assume the same goes for blacktail on Kodiak. I don't know many other places in the US where you are allowed to take more than one of whatever big game species you are hunting. So I guess for the people that don't like it they can go elsewhere. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that appreciate the experience and the scenery even with the costs in mind. Whatever you do, do not come to POW!

BTW there are plenty of people that are spending a hell of alot more money on sheep hunting where meat yield is arguably slightly more.

My bucket list deer hunt is Northern Maine however being from Alaska it will cost me several thousand dollars in license fees-travel expenses- rental truck all for the chance of getting to hunt a deer in its northernmost setting-sound familiar and yeah you bet your ass I am going
Right on, man! I hold deer points in 4 states. I intend to eventually hunt them all. Final cost between 3 guys for this year's ADQ hunt is up to $1400/person. It would cost me $400 more as a nonresident for lic/tags. I don't think I'll be able to hunt any of the states I have a deer point in for less than $2K after rentals and such for 7-10 days. They're all making me wait in line and buy points; and I will also only get to shoot one deer......

Talked to one of the boat operators at the sportsman show this weekend thinking maybe a guy could swoop up a cheap boat cancellation. He has two boats and booked through 24. We're only a week in, but he hadn't had a single phone call about people backing out yet.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Sure and if was $5k and 4 days of travel round trip to hunt those states i wouldn't do that ether.
At least if you got 3 deer they would be less then $2k each.

There is just a limit to the cost of experience for me.

Same as I could take a 2nd mortgage out on my house and do a sheep hunt. Its just not worth it to me.

Now if the transporters want to drop there price by 2/3rds to match the tag allocation i could get down with that.
It's not like the transporters costs drops by 2/3 just because you would get 2 tags less.

cubguy

FNG
We don't have outfitter allocations anywhere. It's not a thing. And never will be a thing.
Mr Kelley,
You are incorrect on the outfitter allocations. There are ones on Kodiak and elsewhere in the state for sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.