Knee (cap) pain?

Pro953

WKR
After my first elk hunt this year I started to experience pain in the tendon of what I would consider the top of my knees.

In all my years of hiking and pack outs, I have never experienced this issue. I let my knees rest for a week and when I did some squats after that week it feels like it flared right back up.

Any idea what would cause this. Same boots and general workout activity level. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Best,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unlikely to have a torn tendon/ligament in both legs at the same time. bursitis..give it a months rest meaning no heavy leg work or long hikes with weight. I had it in my right elbow from pumping too much weight too frequently....it seems like forever to go away. But, with some rest it will.

Shooter Mike

Lil-Rokslider
A rather common injury. Patella Femoral Syndrome is what is sounds like to me.
Easy to cure, but takes time. need to strengthen the stabilizer muscles surrounding the knee. Most joint ailments are from either gross overuse or muscle imbalance that causes some muscles to overwork while the support muscles are underworking due to underdevelopment.

ORmuleys

WKR
Easy to cure, but takes time. need to strengthen the stabilizer muscles surrounding the knee. Most joint ailments are from either gross overuse or muscle imbalance that causes some muscles to overwork while the support muscles are underworking due to underdevelopment.
Bingo! Mike is spot-on. I’m dealing with the same issue currently

mtnbound

WKR
After my first elk hunt this year I started to experience pain in the tendon of what I would consider the top of my knees.

In all my years of hiking and pack outs, I have never experienced this issue. I let my knees rest for a week and when I did some squats after that week it feels like it flared right back up.

Any idea what would cause this. Same boots and general workout activity level. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Best,
Phil

In both knees or just one?

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
In both knees or just one?

More on my right than my left, but both. I have had a bursitis injury before and it seems different than that.

When I had a bursitis injury I had fluid in my knee and it hurt to kneel on it etc. This is a little different for me as the area is not really tender, it just hurts when I sit/stand in a chair and it obviously flared up when I exercised.

Not so bad it’s holding me back, but I have two more tags this year and I do not want to have this get in the way.

Oh to be 30 again…

Poser

WKR

What undervalued "stabilizer" muscles do you have around the knee?
You have the various sub muscle groups of the quads, but these are some of the larger muscles in the body and they all work in conjunction.
You have the various sub muscles groups of the hamstring, but, again, these are some of the largest muscles in the body and they also all work in conjunction.
You can get into the various calf muscles as these are smaller muscle groups, but their job isn't to extend and contract the knee.

Unless one is doing a bunch of (weirdo) isolation exercises only or has some peculiar/specialized hobby, the smaller muscles will be developed proportionally right along with the larger muscles.

manitou1

WKR
I have never had that problem until this year.
I spent 30 days straight on the mountain chasing game then another two weeks on the prairie/canyon lands and my knees ache. As soon as they start to feel better and I go for a hike or spend a lot of time walking or standing, they tighten up and begin aching again.
I am 63. The article says it hit folks under 60.🥴

My pain seems to be under my knee caps and in the joint. The knees were actually swollen for a couple weeks.

OneGunTex

FNG
What undervalued "stabilizer" muscles do you have around the knee?
Guessing he's referring to the various tendons/ligaments that provide stability around the knee. I know back in the day my coach used to make sure we were stretching our IT bands in addition to usual quad/Ham/calf stretches.
Personally I've got a bunch of metal in there now. Weird when there is nothing to stretch, but all kinds of new aches

Solm

FNG
I use to have Knee pain on my left knee, they even operated on it. Then the same thing happend to my right knee.

What was going on according to physio was my MS was making the muscles on right side of my left knee cap get weak

and the left side muscle was being over worked which was pulling my knee cap over and allowing it to rub on the bone and causing pain.

If you look at your knees with your legs straight you can see if they are being pulled left or right etc.

Physically pushing the knee to the opposite side stopped the pain and massaging (hard) the over developed muscle as it

was always hard and impossible to relax it. He even put super sticky tape on it to try and keep the knee cap in alignment.

I did have to do excersise to try and develop the weaker muscle and also had accupuncture (within Physio) on my right knee which almost instantly made my over delveloped muscle go soft. My right bum was hard and over developed compared to left so he stuck his elbo in that which hurt but did go soft after that session.

My knee pain was going up stairs and really bad going down putting all the weight on a leg and bending it for the next leg.

I hope some of this makes sense I would see GP and get to see a physio therapist as MS makes peoples left or right side weak

which over time makes posture go out of balance which in turn makes you walk wrong, then knees and hips can go out of alignment.

I also had pain in shoulder and one shoulder was higher than the other when sitting upright.

All of this was linked shoulder, legs and bum, a year later these problems and pain have gone.

mtnbound

WKR
More on my right than my left, but both. I have had a bursitis injury before and it seems different than that.

When I had a bursitis injury I had fluid in my knee and it hurt to kneel on it etc. This is a little different for me as the area is not really tender, it just hurts when I sit/stand in a chair and it obviously flared up when I exercised.

Not so bad it’s holding me back, but I have two more tags this year and I do not want to have this get in the way.

Oh to be 30 again…

Did you increase your workload, frequency, distance, add lower body exercises, or stopped a lower body exercise, before the pain started? Being both knees, it seems like an overuse or imbalance. For myself, doing banded Adductions solves most of my knee pain.