Kimber Montana - not worth the risk?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana...I want to pull the trigger, but keep coming back to the many threads out there from dissatisfied owners. I like the feel of the rifle and want a light weight setup for deer & antelope, but again all the negative threads have me gun shy.

The Montana's in 6.5 cm are now on the selves at dealers, but haven't found any new reviews yet. Could go with a Tikka T3, but by the time I swap out the stock and rebarrel....I'm $$ over what I can get the Montana for.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same boat, just I want one in 280AI. Looks like a good rifle but with the iffy history it makes me hesitate. I haven't found a good review of the 2016 model yet

Shrek

WKR
Most of Kimbers problems are in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current Montana. If elk are in its future I'd get it in 308.

I think that many of the Montana's that are not accurate, have more to do with the shooter than the rifle. Shooting high power rifles (especially magnum calibers), that are UL weight can be a little more challenging to control. Also, it's imperative that the barrel is allowed to cool between shot groups. I own 2 Montana's (.300wsm and .280AI), and a Mountain Ascent chambered in .270, and they all shoot lights out. I don't need another one, but if I came across a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I've had/have a half dozen and no accuracy issues......as with all my rifles, I check the feed and polish ramps etc. I have a Montana in 338 Federal that is several years old and is amazingly accurate for the weight/cartridge/scope.....with 2.5x ultralight scope, I'm at 5lbs 4oz.....

Bought a Mountain Ascent in 270 win last year and out of the box accuracy is exceptional. Great to carry as I don't like slings.

When shooting at the range, get that sandbag way back just ahead of the trigger guard.

Best lightweight rifle out there, imo. And I'm not sure if I'll own another hunting rifle that isn't a Kimber. I'm about 3-4 weeks out until my Mountain Ascent 300 WSM shows up.

GKPrice

Banned
Most of Kimbers problems are in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a current Montana. If elk are in its future I'd get it in 308.

I agree with Shrek 110% and Stid2677 has a few of them and has always spoken very highly of Kimber Montana rifles - I've had or worked with 7 of them and only 1, an older one at that, was a problem child, the rest of them were at least very good, most of my experiences have been outstanding with Kimber Montana's

GKPrice

Banned
I think that many of the Montana's that are not accurate, have more to do with the shooter than the rifle. Shooting high power rifles (especially magnum calibers), that are UL weight can be a little more challenging to control. Also, it's imperative that the barrel is allowed to cool between shot groups. I own 2 Montana's (.300wsm and .280AI), and a Mountain Ascent chambered in .270, and they all shoot lights out. I don't need another one, but if I came across a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What AK Troutbum says is the truth

I have two friends that each purchased a Kimber Montana and both had issues. One is an absolute gun nut, his was in 280AI. He had to bed the stock and do a little fitting because the mag well was hitting on the back bottom edge causing inconsistency shot to shot. There was about a half inch rubbed section in the stock in this location. Now it shoots great but it was fighting him until he found that and he knew what it was doing was not his fault. My other friend bought a very nice wooden stock 7mm-08 new. Immediately upon receiving the rifle the first time he took it to the range he could hardly chamber a round because the feed ramp and chamber had such a large bur it would gouge brass so deep it made me nervous when he showed it to me a few days later. He has some contacts high up at Kimber and tried to get an answer if this was normal or not and if they would take a look at it. Finally after about 3 weeks of hounding them and cycling more ammo as they instructed to smooth it out he ended up sending it back for service. They looked at it said its normal and returned it. Problem remained so after much ammo down the barrel again he sent it back and this time they did a little work on the bur but its still there and makes marks on brass. He's tired of fighting Kimber the company and is willing to just shoot the gun and deal with the deeply gouged brass. He has said multiple times he really regrets buying the Kimber and if it wasn't for the nice wood (which he wanted) he would have gone another direction.

The service from an individual with contacts high up makes me extremely leary about buying a kimber of my own. The record for people I know is 2 for 2 guns have problems that should have been taken care of at the factory for what they charge. I have nothing against Kimbers and actually really like the rifles and would love to own a Montana or Mountain Ascent some day but until I hear more good stories than bad and the customer service improves they won't get a penny of my money.

OP
G

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I can't see how Kimber could return the rifle with it still gouging the cases(?)...especially with the relationship to the "higher-ups".

Why does he continue to shoot it like this and not take it to a local smith to clean up the feed ramp and chamber? Would think thats a relatively easy fix by a competent smith(?)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Montana's in 6.5 cm are now on the selves at dealers, but haven't found any new reviews yet. Could go with a Tikka T3, but by the time I swap out the stock and rebarrel....I'm $$ over what I can get the Montana for.

I've seen some Tikkas in 6.5x55 and obviously 260rem if either of those suit your 6.5mm desire rather than the creedmor specifically. That's save you the coin of the rebarrel job and most tikkas shoot quite well.

pooh05

FNG
Wife bought me a 300wsm Kimber Mt two years ago. And with very little work it shoots the 180TTSX sub moa. I would not hesitate to buy one.
It is a pleasure to carry when I am out west elk hunting.

wapitibob

WKR
I wouldn't touch another one, ever.
They have changed some processes and supposedly implemented many/most of the "kimber tweaks" outlined on the 24 hr board and now advertise sub moa with "qualifications".

"Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition."

VernAK

WKR
With the huge increase in firearms and ammo sales, I suspect most manufacturers have a few items slip by their QC inspection process as they struggle to maintain market share and train new employees.

I have/had enough rifle experience to sort out most obvious problems but what I find even more troubling is the quality problems in factory ammo. A young lady hunter seeking help with her new Tikka 308 couldn't make the Remington ammo fire due to primer problems. Recently I was loading my Kimber 338 Federal with federal 210NP ammo and two rounds out of the box wouldn't chamber so I pulled the firing pin and cycled all my ammo through the magazine and chamber......the second box had another faulty round. Disconcerting when walking to a bear bait station frequented by grizzlies.

zerohour714

Banned
I had the same conundrum last season. I ended up going with the Montana Rifle Company X2 in 280AI. It is awesome! It is a little heavier than the Kimber but I was willing to take on a few extra ounces for added quality. Not saying that Kimber makes a bad rifle, but after seeing it in person next to the MRC, coupled with several bad reviews, I opted for the MRC. Couldn't be happier! Pm me if you want more details.

16Bore

WKR
I've had one in 270WSM, but found my 7RM was badasser so tripped it. It was a damn good rifle though. 6.5CM Montana would be HARD to pass on. 143 ELDX off the rack and forget about it....