Kimber Montana - not worth the risk?

Not a Montana, but the Adirondack in .308. So far shooting just around or a little under 1 MOA, but I've only got one box of shells through it so far.

Posted this on another thread, but here it is again:

5d293b30ac7b1ba39a499ffae33fe781.jpg

Wow, that is crazy light and a very nice outfit there. Now it's time to get 'er into the mountains and start killing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
Is that the stock bolt handle? If so, does anyone know if they are available as replacements that might fit an older 84m?

Here's a picture of that Ti bolt handle 16bore was referring to and also a picture of the stock bolt handle. Not a whole lot of weight savings, but it sure does look cool.:) There is a much larger weight savings when switching out the stock trigger guard with an aluminum one.
e8e80a2a7c1b3e7c31e7cc139b675e3d.jpg
f63e7c4e5dbc12146a9ee94207c72180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

njc89

FNG
I recently purchased a used (2008 vintage) Montana in 7mm08 from a scum bag in Mississippi on Gunbroker. The rifle had a small bulge in the barrel, so I sent it back to Kimber for a new barrel. A knowledgable and very nice customer service lady in MT helped arrange the whole thing for $385, including test firing and shipping the gun back to me with the paper target showing less than 1" groups. I picked up some of Hornady new 150 grain precision hunter ammo and shot about 3/4" groups while breaking in the barrel. That will do fine for an ultralight rifle as far as I'm concerned.

I too read many kimber horror stories before this gun, but for the price, had to try one anyway for backpack hunting. I'm very happy with the rifle now, and kimber treated me well. In fact, my dad just bought a new Montana in 270, because he liked mine so much. It also shoots less than 1" groups. They seem to have gotten their stuff together in the quality and customer service departments - at least as far as my recent issues are concerned.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got Montana’s/Adirondacks in 223, 308, 338 federal, 30-06, and 300 WSM. And a classic select in 257 roberts

All shoot MOA with premium factory loads. My biggest issue has been with GunBroker sellers not disclosing damage they did to the guns. No doubt trying to “fix a crappy Kimber” when they really needed to fix their technique. Good thing I picked them up at good discounts :)

Gents, I bought Kimber Montana 338 win mag about 12 years ago. I would be on the bad band wagon until last year. I shot many years but just couldn’t get anything better than 3” -3 shot group at 100 yards. I asked a gunsmith to put muzzle break on it. He put a little bastard to tame that rascal down. He suggested I though the Kimber scope mounts in the garbage and install a one piece steel base. Since he custom builds long range rides I listened to his advice. Another friend suggested a Black Diamond Optics (best for $ spent). I listened and did what they suggested. Before shooting this reconfigured combo, I cleaned the barrel until no sign of fouling. Sighted the scope in within six shots. I personally admit I’m not a good shot. I flench especially with 338 horse power. I went back cleaned the gun. Tried Federal Safari 250 grain Nosler, 225 grain Remington Core Lock and Federal 225 grain Nosler. The Fed 225 was best. I went back cleaned the barrel again. This time at range I was serious about focusing on clean shots. I grouped three at 200 yards within one inch shooting off rest/bench. I am taking this rifle mule deer hunting this year. I have many rifles but this one is my choice. If you have your Montana set-up correctly, clean the piss out of the barrel, and you will find that they are great little ass kickers especially in 338.