Kimber 375 h&h

280rem

FNG
Looking into getting a 375 for a first trip to Africa. My wife and I really like kimber rifles, so I started looking into them. I soon found 2 kimber caprivis and one kimber of Oregon 89. My question is how does the kimber of Oregon compare to the caprivi on the 8400 action. The model 89 I found appears to be unfired and has nicer wood and 1000 cheaper. It’s just the 89, I’m not familiar with and predates the 8400 style I’m more familiar with. Thought I would see if I can find someone more knowledgeable to help me with a decision here. The 89 is the more appealing buy, but don’t want to later find out I bought something that is knowingly problematic. I haven’t ruled out trying to find a talkeetna, but do like the idea of staying with the traditional wood and blued for an African rifle, even though I hunt Alaska a lot, but I have my 338 win mag Montana I currently use for that. Thank you for any insight you can share about quality or design differences that may exist between these 2.

Cyril

FNG
I don't know but man would I love if kimber started manufacturing the Talkeetna again. They pop up from time to time on gunbroker selling for about $1000 over the original msrp. Pretty crazy. Good luck.

Sevens

WKR
Recall reading the 89s could have some feed/function issues and the 8400 were preferred.

Not one to squander another’s desire for a new rifle, but unless you have buffalo, elephant or hippo on the menu, a 375 is unnecessary.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
He sevens I was the one that messaged you about Moz. Yes Cape buffalo are on the menu. The plan is the wife will take her kimber 280 Ai. And the 375 seems to be an excellent gun to cover about everything. I currently don’t have anything larger than my 338 Montana. A caprivi or such isn’t the cheapest route but it’s still rather affordable compared to a lot of options. It’s also a nicer gun than the ones cheaper in price. I find the kimbers we own more on par or better than the gun I have that costs a couple thousand more than them. Thank you for your response. That seems to be what I’m finding through rather research.

TaperPin

WKR
I don't know but man would I love if kimber started manufacturing the Talkeetna again. They pop up from time to time on gunbroker selling for about $1000 over the original msrp. Pretty crazy. Good luck.
It’s still shown on Kimber’s website.

t_carlson

WKR
Kimber of Oregon had a reputation of building BEAUTIFUL rifles that sucked. They were plagued with functionality and accuracy issues, and I can recall Steve Timm writing about how when he showed up to tour the factory, a guy blew one up at the range while he was there.

There might have been good "eras" of them, but I don't think they were made for too long.

That's all hearsay, of course, but from what I have read, I wouldn't take it to Africa.

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG
Kimber of Oregon had a reputation of building BEAUTIFUL rifles that sucked. They were plagued with functionality and accuracy issues, and I can recall Steve Timm writing about how when he showed up to tour the factory, a guy blew one up at the range while he was there.

There might have been good "eras" of them, but I don't think they were made for too long.

That's all hearsay, of course, but from what I have read, I wouldn't take it to Africa.
That’s what my research is telling me. The 8400 seemed to be loved by people that have them. The older ones not so much.