KIFARU ARK FRAME review

PMcGee

WKR
I think there are two levels that I am reading of curiosity. In line with your analogy;
1) Are the Ark frame carbon/finish abnormalities the equivalent of a cracked vehicle engine block?
2) Are the Ark frame carbon/finish abnormalities the equivalent of chipped vehicle paint?

Where did I say anything about a cracked engine block? Nobody knows right now what the chips in the frame are going to turn into. Even if they don’t affect functionality in the long run it’s not a good look for the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sndmn11

WKR
Where did I say anything about a cracked engine block?

I didn't write that you had said that; I wrote that I am reading two types of wonderment about the frames' blems and whether they are cosmetic or functional.

PMcGee

WKR
I didn't write that you had said that; I wrote that I am reading two types of wonderment about the frames' blems and whether they are cosmetic or functional.

Sorry read it real quickly. That’s kind of what I’m wondering as well. I guess time will tell.

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Those defects looks lot like fiber pulls during some of the machining or finishing. Based on appearance it looks like the frame sheet (production) has uni-axial fibers as the outer ply at least. Prototype frame looks to have a bi-axial fabric/weave which is typically much more robust and less prone to this type of damage.

What would a rock, stick, leg bone or antler do to that frame over time if you're finger nail can do that? I'm not bashing kifaru and I love my duplex lite that I've had since 2018 but this whole thing seems weird to me. Tony clearly put in a lot of time and effort and made a great review here but I think one needs to be done with the actual frame and not a frame with a completely different composition or finish or whatever the difference is. Just my opinion.
Challenge accepted. I got mine delivered Monday. Unfortunately I’m working out of town. I’ll give a full review after my 2024/25 hunts 😉🏹🏹🏹🦌🦌🦌

I think there are two levels that I am reading of curiosity. In line with your analogy;
1) Are the Ark frame carbon/finish abnormalities the equivalent of a cracked vehicle engine block?
2) Are the Ark frame carbon/finish abnormalities the equivalent of chipped vehicle paint?
Exactly. This is what needs to be answered. I'm pretty surprised someone from Kifaru hasn't chimed in here yet.

prm

WKR
They already answered someone stating essentially it is not a cracked engine block and the paint is within spec.

I‘m no engineer, but I can’t see any of this impacting durability. I also think a customer purchasing a $500 pack frame should expect no obvious cosmetic flaws. Is this not the most expensive frame? No obvious flaws is a reasonable expectation. But that is a choice each must make as a consumer.

I will say polished smooth finishes tend to produce more squeaks where a fabric rubs. I happen to like the look, what little you can see, and feel. The only area it‘s exposed is just above lumbar pad and a little between the shoulder straps. I don’t think it is abrasive enough to cause significant wear on any contact points. The only possible points are where the small attachment straps loop through. If those did wear it would be very easy to replace them. I don’t see it ever being an issue.
I did a couple of short hikes yesterday with the Ark and K4 each with 75# of weight (45# bag of stones and 30# bag of sand). The Ark really carries the weight well. Crank down on the straps and there is no flexing or bending. I don’t think they could get the weight any closer to your back. The load is held very solidly and the belt did a great job of keeping the weight distributed on my hips with minimal being transferred to the shoulders. Need some more time to see how the foam changes with use. A note about hitting the frame with my head, I tried but cannot touch the frame by looking up. I can only touch if I crank down on the load lifters pulling it in. If the lifters are just snugged it a non-issue.
Thoughts comparing it to the duplex lite in terms of really heavy pack outs and flex? I’m curious how it’s going to handle the load lifters cranked on heavy pack outs 100+ lbs

prm

WKR
Thoughts comparing it to the duplex lite in terms of really heavy pack outs and flex? I’m curious how it’s going to handle the load lifters cranked on heavy pack outs 100+ lbs
I did not have the Duplex Light. My previous Kifaru was a Duplex Hunter? I think that‘s what it was called. My recollection is that it was comparable to the K4, perhaps a tiny bit better. I did use the same weights and do the same hikes I am now. I don’t recall that older Kifaru having any unusual flex to speak of. I doubt I’ll load the Ark any higher than 75# of weight (total ~82). The Ark is fine, I’m more concerned about my frame. Happens as you get older.

I put 110# in mine yesterday, I like it significantly better than the duplex lite. I’ve been using a duplex lite since it came out. For me, it puts the weight tighter to my back and has a really nice dynamic feel to it. Most definitely can handle more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp? Retrieved my mail today and found an Ark Frame. First impression before the “unboxing” was wow! This thing is light! I wondered if anything was in the box!

Upon opening, fit and finish is great. I tried it on as is because I was worried about belt size. Only took a few seconds to have a smile on my face. Fits great and I’ve almost lost the weight I targeted a month and a half ago. So, cinched tight I can still go more once I lose the couple more pounds to get me back down to hunting weight.

It feels different for sure! Feels stiff and very rigid compared to my Duplex Ultra Light. It rides a little different than both my UL and my Tactical. The pad sticks right into my lower back like it’s meant to be. Nice and snug when tightened up. I doubt there will be any kind of slippage whatsoever based on how it fits and where it rides.

First impression of that belt is, there isn’t anything I don’t like about it.

You ever have a piece of gear that feels and fits just right? Last time I had that feel was the first time I picked up my Bowtech D350 15 years ago. It was a match made for the elkwoods for sure! Same feel with this frame! I’m excited and can’t wait to put this to the test! The Hoodlum will love this frame! So will the DT1!

Yaremkiv

FNG
Welp? Retrieved my mail today and found an Ark Frame. First impression before the “unboxing” was wow! This thing is light! I wondered if anything was in the box!

Upon opening, fit and finish is great. I tried it on as is because I was worried about belt size. Only took a few seconds to have a smile on my face. Fits great and I’ve almost lost the weight I targeted a month and a half ago. So, cinched tight I can still go more once I lose the couple more pounds to get me back down to hunting weight.

It feels different for sure! Feels stiff and very rigid compared to my Duplex Ultra Light. It rides a little different than both my UL and my Tactical. The pad sticks right into my lower back like it’s meant to be. Nice and snug when tightened up. I doubt there will be any kind of slippage whatsoever based on how it fits and where it rides.

First impression of that belt is, there isn’t anything I don’t like about it.

You ever have a piece of gear that feels and fits just right? Last time I had that feel was the first time I picked up my Bowtech D350 15 years ago. It was a match made for the elkwoods for sure! Same feel with this frame! I’m excited and can’t wait to put this to the test! The Hoodlum will love this frame! So will the DT1!
I too involuntarily cracked a smile as soon as the belt was cinched down. I've worn a lot of frames, this one is a winner chips cracks and all haha

Last edited:
I’ve already rucked with it twice and I like everything about this frame over the duplex lite. The 26 was a big frame, the 25 feels perfect at 5’ 11”. I’m a 32 waist and the small is great. Hiking feels better at 45lbs now and I don’t feel I gave anything up at 105lbs either.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Received my Ark Frame a few days ago and I have been getting it setup for me. Love it so far. That lumbar pad just sucks right into the small of my back and doesn't move!! I think this is the best frame I've owned. I might be selling a K4 in a few weeks! Time will tell.

What accessories are ya'll running on the laser cut molle? I am a medium belt size and can't get my Ivory Holster and Nalgene holder on the same side like I'm used to. I have a medium belt pouch on the opposite side and there is no room remaining there. Thinking about switching to a mini belt pouch to get more room.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk