KIFARU ARK FRAME review

I have an Exo nalgene holder and belt pouch. Working well. My elbow is touching the nalgene. I have had a Kifaru nalgene holder on order for a bit. Will compare if it ever gets here.
Id like to hear your comparison once it arrives. In the market for one for my Kifaru.

Reactions: prm

6.5x284

WKR
Just curious, and maybe I already missed it, has anybody tried to put a different companies bag on this frame? Personally, I’ve always struggled to like the bag offerings from Kifaru, but this frame looks really tempting. An Exo or SG frame on this frame would likely make me very happy.

I’ve run some EXO K3 bags and a K2 bag and they fit excellent. I even sewed on straps to the frame like my EXO was so I can have the two straps for meat and other two for the pack. We’ll see how it works vs their provided attachment straps. My bartacks suck

f339cc58b2f6c2fb58e2db5cbc72b828.jpg

78427dababdcd606ef27139f0fbbb04e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
55648a809124c702cca7ddc301358e79.jpg

Last edited:

Fedster

FNG
Does anyone have a side by side of the 22 inch vs the 25 inches? I am looking for a 'small' travel backpack, and I am insane and can only use external frame hunting backpacks (you know, in case a war breaks out and I am stuck somewhere weird, at least my backpack would be able to deal with some weird stuff -- did I say I am not ok in the head?). For hunting I have a 26 inches SO and and not changing that.

Bcleck90

WKR
Does anyone have a side by side of the 22 inch vs the 25 inches? I am looking for a 'small' travel backpack, and I am insane and can only use external frame hunting backpacks (you know, in case a war breaks out and I am stuck somewhere weird, at least my backpack would be able to deal with some weird stuff -- did I say I am not ok in the head?). For hunting I have a 26 inches SO and and not changing that.

Have you ever traveled with an external frame? I would think you would be better served with an internal frame of some sort (Kifaru or others). I’d be miserable using an external for traveling but maybe I’m missing something.

You’re not losing durability by choosing an internal.

I’ve run some EXO K3 bags and a K2 bag and they fit excellent. I even sewed on straps to the frame like my EXO was so I can have the two straps for meat and other two for the pack. We’ll see how it works vs their provided attachment straps. My bartacks suck

f339cc58b2f6c2fb58e2db5cbc72b828.jpg

4e96964d6e17400474c80909bb51b839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the exact setup I wanted to do! So please keep us in the loop on how this works out! If the reviews are good, it will be off to figure out how to sew!

I have an Exo nalgene holder and belt pouch. Working well. My elbow is touching the nalgene. I have had a Kifaru nalgene holder on order for a bit. Will compare if it ever gets here.

Just fyi, I have gen 1 bottle pocket on 1 of my duplex lites, a gen 2 on my field quiver, but my preferred bottle pocket is the kifaru release pouch thats on my other duplex lite and minikeg. Its the same size as the gen 1 bottle pocket, the felt lining makes the nalgene slide in and out easier and completely silent, and it has a tension cord (similar to the gen 2) rather than the buckle strap that I never use on the gen1's.

It also uses 2 molle straps with a 3 bar slider at the end rather that 4 individual 3 bar sliders like on the gen1 and gen2 bottle pocket. The release pouch is essentially a combo of the things I prefer from the gen 1 and gen 2 bottle pockets, with a better attachment system and felt lining.

Gen 1 left, release pouch right:

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 54

Fedster

FNG
Have you ever traveled with an external frame? I would think you would be better served with an internal frame of some sort (Kifaru or others). I’d be miserable using an external for traveling but maybe I’m missing something.

You’re not losing durability by choosing an internal.
I travel with my SO Revolution (at 24 inches), planes and all. But I'd like something smaller and I do not want to cut the frame.

Great posts and a lot of good information. I am coming from a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. I have a few Kifaru packs that I have had for years and used on several deployments, huge fan. But, none of their external frames. I am looking at running the Ark frame with a Hellbender and a camp bag for out and back/base camp hunts. My only question is frame size. I really don't like a pack that is too tall, but I know the additional height can give me better load bearing capability. For reference I am 5'9". Any inputs from pack owners of similar size or perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yaremkiv

FNG
Great posts and a lot of good information. I am coming from a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. I have a few Kifaru packs that I have had for years and used on several deployments, huge fan. But, none of their external frames. I am looking at running the Ark frame with a Hellbender and a camp bag for out and back/base camp hunts. My only question is frame size. I really don't like a pack that is too tall, but I know the additional height can give me better load bearing capability. For reference I am 5'9". Any inputs from pack owners of similar size or perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm 5'8". The extra height of the taller frames and the higher load lift really does help with heavier loads. I went from a 24" to a 26" and felt a difference with 50+ pounds. There is less overhead clearance when brush busting BUT usually the pack itself sits higher then the frame anyways. When discussing frame height, we like to ask about head clearance when looking up but it's the pack itself that limits head clearance, not the frame. That is until you run a day pack, in which case the pack sits lower than the frame and a smaller frame is ideal. That being said, going down to 25" on both my K4s and ARK frames proved to be the perfect height for me. Plenty of load lift and plenty of clearance in day hunt mode.

alowell

FNG
I'm 5'8". The extra height of the taller frames and the higher load lift really does help with heavier loads. I went from a 24" to a 26" and felt a difference with 50+ pounds. There is less overhead clearance when brush busting BUT usually the pack itself sits higher then the frame anyways. When discussing frame height, we like to ask about head clearance when looking up but it's the pack itself that limits head clearance, not the frame. That is until you run a day pack, in which case the pack sits lower than the frame and a smaller frame is ideal. That being said, going down to 25" on both my K4s and ARK frames proved to be the perfect height for me. Plenty of load lift and plenty of clearance in day hunt mode.
This has been my main concern with the ARK frame sizes. I currently run a 26" tactical frame with my AMR cinched down and the height is too much for stalking through timber. I am looking to get Bedlam bag in spring, but I am on the fence with the duplex lite 24" or the ARK 25", with height being my main concern stalking.

alowell

FNG
received mine today. Here’s my tall person perspective:

Comparing height between it at a 26” duplex lite
View attachment 686923

Played around with ride height and started from the top working my way down the bottom. Last I checked I was a ~20” or a bit more torso being taller at 6’7” and 250lb build. Achieved good load lifter angle putting the straps down to the bottom where I believe putting weight in it will still ride well and achieve load lift.

Shoulder straps seem to be 1” longer than the long duplex lites if we are taking the measurement from the top load lifter seam. Even with the straps bottomed out on the frame this seems to be comfortable. I wore my duplex lite with the long straps touching the top of the lumbar pad to get the same ride height. Straps are a hair wider but new foam seems to be about the same thickness and feel.

Hip belt seems to be about 1” longer and has a more cupping feeling around the front of your hips.
Midline seam seems to be about 1cm higher than the previous duplex lite. Overall feels very good.

Lumbar pad is wider and flatter. Has less of a contour comparing to the duplex lite convex shape. Very firm feel. Curious how this performs.

View attachment 686925

Laser cut molle is a woven almost plastic like material. It’s got a nice feel to it and I think it will hold up well. Med belt was 5 slots wide.

I ended up choking the k clip straps through the frame hole instead of plating with the tag ends for my Styker XL. I’ll have to use the tag ends for my Dall. No issues with either really.

View attachment 686926

Now to decide if I sell a near new duplex lite training pack and run just the arc for everything. Time will tell.
This is the exact question that I am trying to answer. How will the ride height of the 25" ARK compare to a 26" tactical frame? I'm looking to drop my frame ride height by more than just an inch, so hoping the ARK frame rides differently and actually offers more frame height savings than 1 inch? I can't go through timber that well with my 26". Any thoughts? Thanks for this

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Finally had my first chance to test out this frame. Put a 50lb sack of dog food in it and took my goats out for a hike. At first I was not a fan of the lumbar pad but after a few miles it settled in and I liked it. Guessing I need quite a few more miles on it to get it right. I am a fan of the shoulder straps. After today I realize my old ones were shot.

I’m not sold that the frame height is ideal for me but I’m sure I’m an outlier at 6’4” with a 22” torso. I was able to get the load lifters to work well enough but not going to lie another inch or two would have been nice. Need to do some more heavy loads to get a real feel for it. I think I’m the odd guy because I really don’t want my frame to flex and would prefer it to be like a sheet of plywood like my old duplex.

Huge fan of the new Hellbender bag I got. I think it’s going to be the perfect setup for how I hunt now.

bozeman

WKR
I'm thinking the ARK and a straight jacket as a good day pack, multi day (with a dry bag) combo......anybody got this setup? Thoughts?

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I used my ARK / Striker XL on a recent SAR mission. Not a heavy pack, just day essentials and a couple layers. I liked the positive feeling of the firmer lumbar pad. Pack moved really well in rough country. I'm looking forward to using it during spring bear this year. For reference, I'm 5'8" and went with the 25" frame. Side x Side it's basically the same as my 24" Duplex lite, which is nice because my Cavern fits perfectly on the ARK.

As a member of the assless army, I personally found that I actually prefer the duplex lite lumbar pad over the ARK. This is a real bummer to me, I really wanted the ARK to work for me but I went back and fourth hiking with both frames and the lumbar pad was the breaking point for me.

The lumbar pad on the ARK frame is much more of a square, the top edge has much more of a pronounced "edge" whereas the duplex lite is more subtle and rounded. What I noticed was for me, with no ass that sharper top edge of the lumbar pad on the ARK was taking the majority of the load, creating a pressure point. If while I was hiking I would sort of exaggerate the curve in my lower back, and stick my butt out, then the lumber pad felt like it made full contact with my lower back as it should. As far as sticking in place goes, The pad did seam to stick in place very well, I did not ever notice any slipping, I imagine it would have been even better yet if the entire pad was making proper contact with my lower back.

So for me and my build, the duplex lite lumbar pad was much more comfortable I'm a bit bummed about it. There were a lot of features about the ARK frame that I was excited about, but it just didn't fit me as well.
It’s funny to hear someone say that. After spending a small fortune on the ARK frame and Fulcrum pack, with all the goodies, I found the exact same thing as you. Literally to a T. After packing an Osprey Xenith for all of the 2023-2024 season, and eventually busting the frame through the fabric, I was in the market for a new pack. I did days of research, and came to the conclusion that the Kifaru Ark frame was going to be a buy once and forget about it type of pack. My initial impression was that the dense foam, and shape of the lumbar pad, tapering away toward the bottom, didn’t fit my tall, skinny frame well at all (6’1” 185lbs 30.5” waist). All of the contact was made on the top 2”, of the lumbar pad, it took irregular posture adjustment and 40+lbs to get the pad to compress into my back a bit better. But it isn’t fitting right, no matter how much I want it work. The frame and pack is made with incredible quality, and if it fit me right, I’m sure I’d be incredibly happy. Regardless, I think I’ll be trying a Stone Glacier, EXO Mountain, or Mystery Ranch and keeping the pack that rides the best.