Thought I had settled on a good "first rifle + glass" combo, less sure now

Unfortunately I can't edit the original post to clarify, but I haven't purchased the rifle yet. I came here prior to doing that to make sure I was on the right track. As it stands now, I'm hunting rifle-less.

Also, it turns out I was wrong about the discounts on ExpertVoice compared to the lower-than-msrp prices of Optics Planet and the like. Holy smokes. It's expanding my options quite a bit, for better or worse. I'm going to have to see how US Optics' products rank on the scope evaluation here.
USO hasn't been tested. the best discounts on drop tested scopes are for NF, triji, and bushnell

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Unfortunately I can't edit the original post to clarify, but I haven't purchased the rifle yet. I came here prior to doing that to make sure I was on the right track. As it stands now, I'm hunting rifle-less.

Also, it turns out I was wrong about the discounts on ExpertVoice compared to the lower-than-msrp prices of Optics Planet and the like. Holy smokes. It's expanding my options quite a bit, for better or worse. I'm going to have to see how US Optics' products rank on the scope evaluation here.
In that case I recommend you start off with a fast twist rate .223 bolt action with a Nightforce SHV, Trijicon or SWFA in a 3-9ish power range or a SWFA 6 power. If you’re patient you can find a used scope for a decent price in the classifieds on this or another site. You can always step up to something larger (caliber) in the future.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Here you go.

f1d9e6628d19a28cb44d0423444f8192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No legitimate seller has them

OP
B

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Ah, the nice fella at Nightforce got back with me with the price list and... NF is still out of my price range for now. Looks like Trijicon Credo is still my best bet for a durable illuminated scope. I really wish I could find something good and reliable in the 1lb-ish range with a Burris "Ballistic E3" style reticle.

1698764452670.png

The Guide

WKR
Ah, the nice fella at Nightforce got back with me with the price list and... NF is still out of my price range for now. Looks like Trijicon Credo is still my best bet for a durable illuminated scope. I really wish I could find something good and reliable in the 1lb-ish range with a Burris "Ballistic E3" style reticle.

View attachment 620689
I have 2 of the Burris Signature HD 5x25 scopes just because of that reticle. I haven't had any issues with them yet but I've not performed any type of drop test on them yet. I was going to get the 3x15 version of it but the Trijicon Huron 3x9 was only $300 and had free 2 day shipping. I'm very happy with that scope so far.

Jay

NSI

WKR
@BAC it's not perfect, but the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 with the MIL FFP tree reticle is very hard to complain about. It's priced well, in the low thousands (Black Friday is coming up), it's Rokslide durable, the reticle is serviceable for hunting, and it's 24 ounces.

One can quarrel with the fact that the reticle has a tree in the first place, or that all of it lights up, or that it's 2 inches longer than other designs. But none of these keep it from being an effective killing tool. And unlike the SWFA 3-9 HD it has a parallax adjustment and is IN STOCK.

-J

OP
B

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
I mean I still might get one of these Burris scopes anyway (even knowing I may have to replace it, money be damned). It's such a nice comfy reticle and it's a shade over two bills from PSA. Only PIA will be getting a set of 1" rings since the only two sets of rings I have are 30mm and the only other scopes of interest to me are... 30mm.

The Guide

WKR
I mean I still might get one of these Burris scopes anyway (even knowing I may have to replace it, money be damned). It's such a nice comfy reticle and it's a shade over two bills from PSA. Only PIA will be getting a set of 1" rings since the only two sets of rings I have are 30mm and the only other scopes of interest to me are... 30mm.
I get it. Every scope I want now is 30mm and finding a good quality 1" scope is tough. I really like that reticle and the lit center cross.

Jay

NSI

WKR
If weight is not a concern, the 30 oz NF SHV 4-14 F1 with MIL-R reticle (hundred bucks or so less than my preferred Trij) is very close to perfect. I've been super impressed with usability throughout the mag range.

-J

OP
B

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Those thousand dollar scopes aren't quite in the budget right now. Sure would be nice though.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Please don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

fwafwow

WKR
Those thousand dollar scopes aren't quite in the budget right now. Sure would be nice though.
I'm not sure where you are in the process of picking your build components, but they do tend to add up quickly. (I made the mistake of creating a spreadsheet - after the fact - for my Rokslide Special. I went overboard on some stuff you probably don't need.) As @PNWGATOR mentioned, you are well served to make careful decisions, for all of the biggest three components - rifle, scope and rings. (I'm assuming you won't cut the barrel - at least yet.)

I too had originally been set on an illuminated scope, but after having purchased a few SWFAs, and just shot the 6x, I don't think I need illumination. And my eyes also suck - especially my right one that I use for the scope.