Keep hunting?

Yes, burning it for nothing. No carcass means no meat which means you have nothing. I can't feed my family on nothing.

What's do you mean by "decent animal"? Are you talking about big racks or legal shooters?

Lastly, how certain are you that hunters with my mentality are the reason why game numbers might be dwindling? Do you have a legitimate source for this or are you making baseless assumptions?

I hope it's not a baseless assumption since that seems to be a growing trend on this forum. Very few people here care to research or provide sources for their opinions, which sucks, because it's a shabby practice that benefits no one.
I mean, it’s certainly not helping. Is it that hard to deduce that given your own thought process? That’s a serious question. Hunting is a privilege at not a given right at this point to “fill your freezer”.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Strong beliefs across the spectrum here, let’s respect that and not get argumentative. Engaging to understand someone else is fine but engaging to tell them they are wrong is just going to start an argument.

4rcgoat

WKR
If a hunter isn't doing everything they can to fill their freezer, what's the point of hunting? Trophies on the wall? Virtue signaling and bragging online?

Shit happens. No point in crying over a lost animal and burning a tag for nothing. You brush yourself off, try to learn from the experience, and keep hunting.

Only a "sorry ass son of bitch" goes home empty-handed because he quit when things didn't go his way. Damn near sounds like the tantrums my daughters used to throw when they messed something up.

How'd ya like that response.
That response was perfect, thanks for playing along.

mtnkid85

WKR
Do you feel like to you have a responsibility to only kill a single animal with your one tag? Or are you going to come home with meat no matter what? Thats really the question.

Does a hunting license give someone the right to kill an animal or does it give you the right to bring an animal home? Not all the animals we kill make it home to our freezers.

Do you feel like to you have a responsibility to only kill a single animal with your one tag? Or are you going to come home with meat no matter what? Thats really the question.

Does a hunting license give someone the right to kill an animal or does it give you the right to bring an animal home? Not all the animals we kill make it home to our freezers.
This sums up my stance better than I could have

I mean, it’s certainly not helping. Is it that hard to deduce that given your own thought process? That’s a serious question. Hunting is a privilege at not a given right at this point to “fill your freezer”.
I agree that hunting is a privilege and not a right. No argument there.

If a particular unit is on the brink of having no legal shooting animals due to what is probably a myriad of reasons, then I agree that stronger ethics might apply. But I don't think people with my mentality are a significant cause of dwindling game. I haven't found anything to suggest otherwise so that's why I say that. Doesn't mean that I'm right though.

I agree that if everyone had the "keep hunting" mentality, in addition to being prone to making lousy shots on game, then they wouldn't be "helping". In my area, deer are overpopulated and have to be thinned down. Auto collisions, crop damage, and CWD are huge issues here. Season opens in a week and if I wound and lose an animal...I'm gonna keep hunting. I hope my neighbor's feel the same way.

Lastly, I didn't want to assume (deduce) anything from your post. I took it literally and at its face value. By asking questions, I am better able to ascertain what exactly someone means. Lately some people have made weird accusations and assumptions about me. They should follow my example and ask questions first. It'd save us all a lot of grief.

I agree that hunting is a privilege and not a right. No argument there.

If a particular unit is on the brink of having no legal shooting animals due to what is probably a myriad of reasons, then I agree that stronger ethics might apply. But I don't think people with my mentality are a significant cause of dwindling game. I haven't found anything to suggest otherwise so that's why I say that. Doesn't mean that I'm right though.

I agree that if everyone had the "keep hunting" mentality, in addition to being prone to making lousy shots on game, then they wouldn't be "helping". In my area, deer are overpopulated and have to be thinned down. Auto collisions, crop damage, and CWD are huge issues here. Season opens in a week and if I wound and lose an animal...I'm gonna keep hunting. I hope my neighbor's feel the same way.

Lastly, I didn't want to assume (deduce) anything from your post. I took it literally and at its face value. By asking questions, I am better able to ascertain what exactly someone means. Lately some people have made weird accusations and assumptions about me. They should follow my example and ask questions first. It'd save us all a lot of grief.
Right on, and I agree that it is also very area dependent. Thanks for taking the time to understand each others perspectives.

I just get a little touchy with the number of people I know of personally that seem to be flinging arrows at elk hoping one sticks.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Tag filled, done. It's a policy that I not only use on myself, personally, but I also enforce it on my hunting clients, as well.
This is how I am too. What sparked the question is I was recently hunting with a buddy who shot a moose, hit it 3 times. We blood tracked it for 9 hours (3 the first evening after the shot, and 6 the next day). It was struggling, bedding down every 100 yards. After the first 3 hours my buddy was like, that sucks lets keep hunting. It sparked a debate and resulted in a return trip to try and recover the moose the next day. He proceeded to hunt and shot another moose. It bothered me, but after seeing this thread, it seems several people share his viewpoint and I am in the minority.

KurtR

WKR
So if your bird hunting and you shoot see a few feathers fly off but don’t find the bird does that count against your limit?

svivian

WKR
Question For the guys who keep hunting... how many animals before you punch the tag or do you just keep going until one is in your hands?

I worked at a hunting retail store.... ive had several come in who shot 3 or more and never recovered. That is why I choose to punch my tag on the first un recovered animal.

This is how I am too. What sparked the question is I was recently hunting with a buddy who shot a moose, hit it 3 times. We blood tracked it for 9 hours (3 the first evening after the shot, and 6 the next day). It was struggling, bedding down every 100 yards. After the first 3 hours my buddy was like, that sucks lets keep hunting. It sparked a debate and resulted in a return trip to try and recover the moose the next day. He proceeded to hunt and shot another moose. It bothered me, but after seeing this thread, it seems several people share his viewpoint and I am in the minority.

Yeah, that would of pissed me off royally and I would of verbally spit in that asshole's face for shooting two bull moose. What a jerkoff.

I feel like this wasn't a question before people started filming hunts. If you're going to stop hunting because you wounded an animal, why ever hunt again? Wounded animals are going to happen in hunting as in nature.

This is assuming you're doing the necessary tasks to prepare yourself to make a clean kill. Weapon conditions, training, shot followup.