Keep hunting?

CorbLand

WKR
It takes less than 2 seconds to type "after a thorough search". Folks should hit the gym more if they get winded typing a few letters.
There also needs to be some level of something being "implied." I am far from an expert but every time I read the "keep hunting answer" I would take that with the implication that the vast majority of people are going to put in reasonable effort of looking for said animal.

Do people need to define what a "thorough search" is, or is there a base level of implication with that statement?

svivian

WKR
There also needs to be some level of something being "implied." I am far from an expert but every time I read the "keep hunting answer" I would take that with the implication that the vast majority of people are going to put in reasonable effort of looking for said animal.

Do people need to define what a "thorough search" is, or is there a base level of implication with that statement?
In PredatorSlayers post his former buddy said 3 hrs was good enough. There are lots of people like that so yes to some extent its reasonable to assume either or.

If someone new to hunting were to read this thread, that individual would learn that the general Rokslide consensus is you keep slinging lead/copper/arrows/etc until you have an animal that you actually put the tag on it with little to no effort on recovery for all of the other animal(s) that may have been harmed/maimed/killed in the process.

That is the problem with "implied"; may work for you and I but others can interpret it completely different.

--From the a$$hol3 that doesn't exercise my brain

sndmn11

WKR
If someone new to hunting were to read this thread, that individual would learn that the general Rokslide consensus is you keep slinging lead/copper/arrows/etc until you have an animal that you actually put the tag on it with little to no effort on recovery for all of the other animal(s) that may have been harmed/maimed/killed in the process.

Ironically, there's a current thread in the Elk forum that Roksliders are cheering for where the hunter shoots at an elk, and immediately shoots at and kills another elk.

Are they a bad person?

CorbLand

WKR

That is the problem with "implied"; may work for you and I but others can interpret it completely different.

That is my point. The same could be said for someone reading it and not understanding or having a different definition of "thorough search." Based on that, we are asking that people add in something that cant be defined or expressed in quantifiable terms. Thus, it does not add to the answer because it doesn't really mean anything and cant be universally used. This is were a level of implication has to be used.

KurtR

WKR
Where in AZ are you seeing 2000+ ducks before shooting hours where you can legally hunt? I personally have no idea how many urban golf courses I'd need to hit in a day to see that many.

But to answer your question...
Shoot duck (sometimes with decoys and sometimes without), it drops and injuredly (not a word but gives you the idea) swims to opposite shoreline (not that far). Hidden coyote jumps out of the vegetation, snags the duck, and takes off. Total time is a few seconds. I'm a mere mortal so I need more time than that; not a problem with Rokslide elite to have the duck in hand in a few seconds 100% of the time.

If you think shooting 21 yards and/or hunting in low volume areas is unethical, you'll poop your pants hunting waterfowl on stock tanks.
Why would I hunt ducks in Arizona it sounds horrible. But to answer the question about 10 minutes from my house in South Dakota and it’s not even good yet. Eating duck kabobs right now with goose jerky on the smoker. That’s a ballsy coyote to sit around while people are shooting guns over their head. We kill a couple every year coming in the goose decoys.

Why would I hunt ducks in Arizona it sounds horrible. But to answer the question about 10 minutes from my house in South Dakota and it’s not even good yet. Eating duck kabobs right now with goose jerky on the smoker. That’s a ballsy coyote to sit around while people are shooting guns over their head. We kill a couple every year coming in the goose decoys.
Have to make do with what you have.

I respected that damn coyote but he was was the initial reason I started to periodically bring a rifle with me when hunting waterfowl.

MattB

WKR
Try and find it best I can but keep hunting . Game and fish have it figured into how they give out tags.
The departments know some people will do unethical things and account for it in their tag allocations. I’ve always scratched my head at people who use that as justification to do unethical things.

I bet some of those same people lament the loss of hunting opportunity due to reduced tag numbers….

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Ironically, there's a current thread in the Elk forum that Roksliders are cheering for where the hunter shoots at an elk, and immediately shoots at and kills another elk.

Are they a bad person?
If they had 2 tags, no.

Are they a bad person?
What is the official Rokslide definition for "bad" in your context? Some potential definitions include:
* “failing to reach an acceptable standard"
* “unfavorable”
* “morally objectionable”
* “harmful”
* “faulty”
* “good”
* “great”

sndmn11

WKR
If they had 2 tags, no.

Seems like just one.

What is the official Rokslide definition for "bad" in your context? Some potential definitions include:
* “unfavorable”
* “harmful”
* “faulty”
* “good”
* “great”

You're an adult, it means whatever you choose it to mean.

* “unfavorable”
* “harmful”
* “faulty”
* “good”
* “great”

images (10).jpeg

You're getting those reps in, asking questions instead of making assumptions. You're busting out sets like no other and gonna be big some day!!!

Rich M

WKR
Still waiting on an answer on this one. This is a very legitimate question I have

Edit: im not looking for a right or wrong answer, purely curious as this is a very individual and situational based question.
i’ll bite.

I’ve lost 6 deer since 1978 bow hunting. Im deaf and therefore not as quiet as folks w working ears. Deer either spook or jump the string but the state wont let me use xbow cause that would be unfair to people who can hear. Seems like 95/100 deer bust outta there as soon as i see them (cant hear them coming - they just pop out of thin air pretty much) and try to draw or move the bow.

Is 1 every 5 years too much? Every 10? Can you sleep if you hit one and lose it?

A rifle shot animal should only be a few per lifetime. They cant outmove a bullet. If you miss, it is pretty much your fault.

Bow hunting is totally diff and most guys don’t appreciate what it takes to get and stay proficient. Plus the animal can easily move, especially on a newbie bow hunter who wants to take a breath and shoot as the critter browses around or whatever.

KurtR

WKR
The departments know some people will do unethical things and account for it in their tag allocations. I’ve always scratched my head at people who use that as justification to do unethical things.

I bet some of those same people lament the loss of hunting opportunity due to reduced tag numbers….
Not being a ranking member of the ethics police board of America. Wondering where we can find your guys manifesto. Why don’t they make if you hit it tag and not a carcass tag? Is there any actual numbers on situations like this? I would be willing to bet the loss rate has little to no bearing on tag numbers being issued.

svivian

WKR
i’ll bite.

I’ve lost 6 deer since 1978 bow hunting. Im deaf and therefore not as quiet as folks w working ears. Deer either spook or jump the string but the state wont let me use xbow cause that would be unfair to people who can hear. Seems like 95/100 deer bust outta there as soon as i see them (cant hear them coming - they just pop out of thin air pretty much) and try to draw or move the bow.

Is 1 every 5 years too much? Every 10? Can you sleep if you hit one and lose it?

A rifle shot animal should only be a few per lifetime. They cant outmove a bullet. If you miss, it is pretty much your fault.

Bow hunting is totally diff and most guys don’t appreciate what it takes to get and stay proficient. Plus the animal can easily move, especially on a newbie bow hunter who wants to take a breath and shoot as the critter browses around or whatever.
Thank you for your response.

I’m specifically speaking how many in one season and one tag, not over a lifetime of hunting. Obviously it’s going to happen, hell I’ve wounded an elk archery hunting a few years ago.

The question is how many would those who keep hunting after wounding one keep hunting on the same tag.