Just courious, Do you always use trekking poles for tents?

Luked

WKR
Just courious if for you all that use trekkers to set your tent up like the Silex and similar tents. Do you ever use jsut a cut stick if you are leaving your tent in the same spot for multiple days?
Reason for asking is with me being new out west hunting we will possibly set our tents up in an area and hunt from there. If i keep my Trekkers there then i wont have them while hunting. Not sure if i would need them but just wondering if it would be a good idea or am i taking a change on punching a hole in my Silex.

Depending on how target rich the environment is, I absolutely do this. We sometimes also count on procuring a native pole for the 8 man tipi rather than pack the pole if we are confident in the availability.

drra

FNG
When I was in Idaho Bear hunting years ago, the guide cut poles for a rain shelter tarp then left them when we moved. There were plenty of them available - same principle, less to pack.

I always just use my trekking poles and if I want to use them for hiking/hunting around (but don't want to move camp), I just pull them out from underneath my shelter and lay everything flat. I may also use a rock or two to hold down the shelter material and keep it from flapping around in the event that it gets windy. Pretty much all the places where I mountain hunt there isn't anything growing in the area to use as a pole.

If I'm backpacking with my tipi or tarptent, I use my trekking poles. If I set the tipi up at a truck camp, I use an extendable aluminum pole.

I’ve used sticks in place of trekking poles a few times in my silex and LBO. Obviously don’t use one that’s a spear on the end but as long as it’s dull on the end I never had any trouble.
I bought the carbon pole from Seek to take to AK this year knowing I’d be in tundra, and managed to leave it at home like a moron. I just left it flat like Troutbum said.

AM3

FNG
I keep a length of cord cut to the desired length for a flat tarp tent set up. Where I am, there's no shortage of trees.

kjw

WKR
Pretty much the same as troutbum. 90% of the time I just use my poles for my LBO. There are times when I know I will be more stationary and in high steep terrain I will use a pole. As said, if I need the trekkers, I’ll pull them out and stake the peak down and put something on top of it

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I always just use my trekking poles and if I want to use them for hiking/hunting around (but don't want to move camp), I just pull them out from underneath my shelter and lay everything flat. I may also use a rock or two to hold down the shelter material and keep it from flapping around in the event that it gets windy. Pretty much all the places where I mountain hunt there isn't anything growing in the area to use as a pole.
Exactly this, anything leaving at camp that I feel needs to be protected will be laid in the tent. Remove the pole and lay the tent on it. Punt something on top in case wind picks up. When I get back to camp just replace the trekking pole and I'm ready to go. If you're not wanting to do that and want a separate pole order a carbon one that just weighs a few ounces.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I also just lay mine (SO eolus) flat. Use a few rocks to hold it down during the day.

I used my BA Scout this year and used old carbon arrows and chunks from aluminum arrows to make tent posts. My trekkers go in my backpack on my hunts. There is a youtube vid on how to make the light weight posts.

southLA

WKR
I have an LBO and just bring a pole. It breaks down and only weighs like 14oz so it's worth it to me not to have to find a wood stick, or lose a trekking pole during my hunts if I leave the tent up.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
If we're planning on being mobile, yes. If we're heading into an area for a few days, I'll take my Ruta Locura carbon poles and use those to set up the tent.