JRE w/ Cam and Steve

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah I didn't really understand his argument since he was also saying they should be allowed because they increase efficacy. He says a lot of dumb shit about hunting though.
Cause he is a brown belt and not a black belt yet, when your belt is as dark as the inside of a coffin on a moonless night, then you stop saying stupid shit

CorbLand

WKR
Yeah I didn't really understand his argument since he was also saying they should be allowed because they increase efficacy. He says a lot of dumb shit about hunting though.
Go listen to the stuff that was said when Utah made them illegal or when they outlawed scopes on muzzleloaders. Many people share the same thought process as Joe does towards them. Its because all people focus on is the kill part of it, especially when discussing ethics. The part that people miss is that ethics is a combination of things not just one thing.

From an ethical kill stand point, a Garmin Xero makes sense because it increases the chance of an accurate shot. When you throw in all the other facits of ethics, not so much. If all that mattered is how quickly and effectively we killed animals, we wouldn't allow archery seasons. Bullets just flat do it better and with more room for error.

Lytro

WKR
Go listen to the stuff that was said when Utah made them illegal or when they outlawed scopes on muzzleloaders. Many people share the same thought process as Joe does towards them. Its because all people focus on is the kill part of it, especially when discussing ethics. The part that people miss is that ethics is a combination of things not just one thing.

From an ethical kill stand point, a Garmin Xero makes sense because it increases the chance of an accurate shot. When you throw in all the other facits of ethics, not so much. If all that mattered is how quickly and effectively we killed animals, we wouldn't allow archery seasons. Bullets just flat do it better and with more room for error.
I'm not really sure what you were trying to get at here. My feelings towards the use of the equipment are fairly indifferent. I get the impression that states eliminate tech in most instances to keep harvest rates low enough that they can issue as many tags as possible. I'm cool with that if it creates more opportunity.

His argument was dumb because he was contradicting himself. He said the sights offer no advantage, but continued to say they're more effective and should be allowed because of the increased efficacy. Sounds like an advantage to me.

CorbLand

WKR
I'm not really sure what you were trying to get at here. My feelings towards the use of the equipment are fairly indifferent. I get the impression that states eliminate tech in most instances to keep harvest rates low enough that they can issue as many tags as possible. I'm cool with that if it creates more opportunity.

His argument was dumb because he was contradicting himself. He said the sights offer no advantage, but continued to say they're more effective and should be allowed because of the increased efficacy. Sounds like an advantage to me.
I am saying that most people claim it doesnt provide an advantage because all they focus on is killing the animal. They forget or simply ignore everything before and after the kill.

I am agreeing with you, just stating why people, including Rogan, share that opinion.

Lytro

WKR
I am saying that most people claim it doesnt provide an advantage because all they focus on is killing the animal. They forget or simply ignore everything before and after the kill.

I am agreeing with you, just stating why people, including Rogan, share that opinion.
Gotcha. I also don't think he fully realizes the advantage when the hunts he's fortunate enough to go on basically guarantee shot opportunities. His success rates really aren't going to change based on equipment.

hoot504

Lil-Rokslider
To have Steve and Cam on JRE is massive exposure, and is overall a huge net positive for hunting. They reference the decline in hunters leading up to ~2015. While I find social media as annoying as the next guy, these two played a part in reversing that trend.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sometimes I think we forget how much dumb stuff we would say if we had our conversations recorded for 10+ hours per week.
Absolutely… which is why I don’t record everything I say and post it for money. If these guys had to make a living like I dunno 99.9% of the workforce I don’t think anyone would give a hoot what they say. Now you wanna make money talking or shooting animals ect. And broadcast it to the world, Then you better have your shit dialed tight…

Yoder

WKR
Now that’s funny, that is a major advantage of having a range finding sight with a red dot for aiming point… GTFO here
A compound bow is a major advantage over a stick bow too. I don't think the Garmin sight is moving the needle on the number of animals killed with a bow.

hunt1up

WKR
Hunters more than any other groups I have been associated with have the propensity to eat their own. Pretty sad

I'm not sure why when it comes to hunting we all automatically have to support each other. It doesn't compute for me. Some of the biggest egotistical a-holes I know are hunters and they certainly aren't doing us any favors. Plenty of hunters are poachers, law breakers, sociopaths, and fame seekers. It's like we're all walking around with "Hunter Club Member" cards in our pocket and the moment someone whips out the membership card they're automatically off limits and a "brother" or something.

Me: "That guy sucks as a human."
Friend: "Well he IS a hunter too don't ya know. Look at his Instagram, BIG BULLS!"
Me: "Oh crap, why didn't you say so sooner! Let's invite him to Thanksgiving and maybe see if he'd like to hang out with my wife when I'm not home."

Standby… Steve actually entertained the idea that at the end of wolf reintroduction would be a restriction on hunting/firearms?

I'll have to listen, but if that's the case he and Janis need to start eating some crow - they pilloried that idea plenty of times...

Wait... You're telling me I'm not allowed to change my stance on stuff???
To be honest I thought the idea of using wolves to get rid of hunting was a silly idea for a long while

I'm not sure why when it comes to hunting we all automatically have to support each other.

Gotta look at the big picture.. Look at automatic weapons. Back in the 80's very few people owned them and I would guess that most people considered them the same way we consider them now. But it all boils down to death by a million cuts.

Sure I think some dipsticks hunt in ways that i don't like/agree with but once something gets legislated out, the goal post moves. The leftist movement has one agenda, which is take control of everyone and ban everyone from doing what they want.

They're accomplishing this by going after easy targets. Very few people trap, Very few people hunt Mtn. Lions. Get those things banned and then you can move on to the bigger targets. So you can support someone but it doesn't mean you have to like them.

Another example is hunting bears with dogs or bait. Once they ban that they'll move into banning hunting deer with dogs, then they'll move into banning hunting with dogs for everything. And you know what law abiding people will start doing?? Complying. What will sportsmans do ? Throw up their hands and wonder why their niche favorite thing got picked off. WHY??? All because you think someone is a dipstick and you told them so. After you told them that they said "F@wk that guy, why should I defend this part of the sport he enjoys. Guys that do that are jerk faces so I don't care if it gets banned"

180ls1

WKR
I'm not sure why when it comes to hunting we all automatically have to support each other. It doesn't compute for me. Some of the biggest egotistical a-holes I know are hunters and they certainly aren't doing us any favors. Plenty of hunters are poachers, law breakers, sociopaths, and fame seekers. It's like we're all walking around with "Hunter Club Member" cards in our pocket and the moment someone whips out the membership card they're automatically off limits and a "brother" or something.

Me: "That guy sucks as a human."
Friend: "Well he IS a hunter too don't ya know. Look at his Instagram, BIG BULLS!"
Me: "Oh crap, why didn't you say so sooner! Let's invite him to Thanksgiving and maybe see if he'd like to hang out with my wife when I'm not home."

I think you are missing the point of what people are saying. When they say we need to support fellow hunters it's not a carte blanche catch-all for people who kill animals, "hunters." They are saying we need to do a better job organizing, supporting, and working towards preserving hunting. Even those who do it differently than we do.

hunt1up

WKR
I think you are missing the point of what people are saying. When they say we need to support fellow hunters it's not a carte blanche catch-all for people who kill animals, "hunters." They are saying we need to do a better job organizing, supporting, and working towards preserving hunting. Even those who do it differently than we do.

That's a reasonable goal and one I'm fully in favor of achieving. I gladly donate money to RMEF, WSF, and other conservation groups that have a constructive, positive message and agenda.

I generally take exception to having to automatically support someone who hunts and has a big platform. Oftentimes they're causing as much harm as they are good. Joe Rogan as an example falls firmly into that category for me. (I typically like his show and listen a fair amount)

Hnthrdr

WKR
A compound bow is a major advantage over a stick bow too. I don't think the Garmin sight is moving the needle on the number of animals killed with a bow.
Can’t disagree with you on compound vs stick bow, and never owned an auto ranging sight (from Co where they are not legal to hunt with) , but if it functions as advertised, it would be pretty amazing to have an auto range and aiming point. Wouldn’t need it in the timber much but could definitely see an edge over traditional aiming device

ODB

WKR
Wait... You're telling me I'm not allowed to change my stance on stuff???
To be honest I thought the idea of using wolves to get rid of hunting was a silly idea for a long while

You are free to change your mind. At that point it is only fair to admit that you were wrong and all those you made fun of were right. Or at least not the whack jobs you inferred they were initially.

It’s only common courtesy.