Jocko Willink Origin Hunting Gear?

jmillr1

WKR
I currently have this rain jacket: https://originusa.com/products/fiel...n-raptor-highland-camo?variant=46404266983702

I'm really enjoying it. I've worn it outside to test it everytime we've gotten heavy rain and I think its a great packable jacket. It'll be going with me to Idaho for Spring bear (I'm seeing youre in sandpoint which is where i'll be come late May) where rain showers are sometimes intermittent and I'll need the extra pack space.

With that said there really isn't a similar option for pants. I also bought the Charlie layer Novaloc Parka in size large (I'm 68" and 190lbs) and the thing felt like I was the michelin man when layered correctly per what they recommend. I considered sizing down but the customer servcie timeline was atrocious. It took nearly 2 weeks for them to get back to me about sizing questions and concerns. I guess the story is they werent ready for the influx of sizing returns from their 40 percent off sale last fall and it really set them back, but still... Took forever and kind of turned me off from them.

They also partnered with Marsupial which was kind of a head scratcher bc they aren't truly made in America. That also kind of turned me off but I know those dont really answer your question regarding rain gear...

Would I recommend the particular Rain Jacket I have? Defintely, especially since I got it during the sale.

I currently have this rain jacket: https://originusa.com/products/fiel...n-raptor-highland-camo?variant=46404266983702

I'm really enjoying it. I've worn it outside to test it everytime we've gotten heavy rain and I think its a great packable jacket. It'll be going with me to Idaho for Spring bear (I'm seeing youre in sandpoint which is where i'll be come late May) where rain showers are sometimes intermittent and I'll need the extra pack space.

With that said there really isn't a similar option for pants. I also bought the Charlie layer Novaloc Parka in size large (I'm 68" and 190lbs) and the thing felt like I was the michelin man when layered correctly per what they recommend. I considered sizing down but the customer servcie timeline was atrocious. It took nearly 2 weeks for them to get back to me about sizing questions and concerns. I guess the story is they werent ready for the influx of sizing returns from their 40 percent off sale last fall and it really set them back, but still... Took forever and kind of turned me off from them.

They also partnered with Marsupial which was kind of a head scratcher bc they aren't truly made in America. That also kind of turned me off but I know those dont really answer your question regarding rain gear...

Would I recommend the particular Rain Jacket I have? Defintely, especially since I got it during the sale.
Interesting, it's just DWR as well, but it works well in heavy rain? If you're hunting here then you are aware of our lovely rainforeat weather.

jmillr1

WKR
Absolutely. The bear in my photo was taken north of you. At the time I was wearing badlands stuff but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Absolutely. The bear in my photo was taken north of you. At the time I was wearing badlands stuff but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm actually in Priest River, but I hunt a wide area of the Panhandle. Good to hear it's more resistant than I had assumed, thanks bud, and good luck on your bear 🇺🇲

I don’t really get all the dudes that are going to sell all their existing quality camo, just to transition to “American Made” camo.
Considering that they already bought the other camo, that would just be virtue signaling.

On the subject of origin, I have the stealth wool jacket and it’s a badass jacket, well built and well designed.

I have piles of high end camo, and won’t be getting rid of any of it, but moving forward, when I need something, I will look at origin and forloh, and see if they have the item I need without compromising performance… I’m for sure getting the stealth wool pants, I’m due for a pair of lightweight pants, and a couple shirts this year, but very well set besides that

American made camo was an open niche, and I’m glad a couple companies are filling it

I appreciate companies that keep it all here, it’s more expensive and logistically difficult, so I will try to support that. It’s refreshing to have that option, and I want to keep that option an option, supporting them is the only way I can personally do that

I would like to have a viable rain gear option, but I don’t see that happening, both have rain gear, but not designed for the Oregon-Alaska coast. If one of them builds a bomb proof set of rain gear like kuiu Yukon or first lite omen, I will be excited and would be first in line to buy it

TheTone

WKR
I was under the impression they made their stuff in Arizona? Is that not the case?

jmillr1

WKR
They do sew/make all of their stuff in the USA, maybe he is taking account that some of the materials may be sourced outside of the US or something.

Yep thats what I was referring to. American made isn't always "American made"