Jocko Willink Origin Hunting Gear?

I, for one, welcome additions to the market to increase competiton. This helps bring prices down & increase quality not to mention potentially finding alternatives that work better for someones set up.

I don’t think USA made is a price reduction play but it will be cool to have another USA made option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working on an investigative opinion piece on this Camo for my blog or YouTube.

I'm going to do my best not to troll, but watching the Camo-Kardashians get more giddy than the contestants on RuPaul's Drag Race during that Instagram Live feed was pretty amusing.

Idk man, you should look into forloh, their tech is better than sitka, kuiu and most definitely first lite IMO. I have a whole kit and its WAY better than pieces ive had from those brands, competitively priced, sourced and made here and like 90% of their stuff also comes in solids. Its as good as the stone glacier and arcteryx stuff ive had if not better, but sourced and made here. They do have a military discount and pretty frequent sales to the public also
Can you elaborate at all? I’ve seen this sentiment several times, never with any explanation on how or why it’s better. Piece for piece comparisons of Forloh vs Sitka or Kuiu seem to be basically nonexistent.

I’m not saying Forloh or Origin aren’t or can’t be technically better, but when you have people in the industry saying the best fabrics are simply not available from US sources (Aron on a recent Kifarucast), some details would be helpful.

Well for instance, i spent over 30 days in a row in my forloh pants last season, only washing them once and they held up great. One stitch came loose but i was crossing a barbwire fence and snagged really bad so no surprise there, i snagged them like 4 other times with no effect too. I wore my kuiu attack pants i had for 3 days, got a tear in the butt on day one and some stitching came loose in the legs. No idea how it happened. Attack pants also seemed like they were sewn crooked and they never felt right on my legs too, kept twisting idk how else to explain it. Same trip my kuiu puffy pants ripped but the face material is very thin so i wasnt too surprised. The last kuiu pack bag i ordered an entire pocket zipper was stitched over, so bad quality control for sure.

If you look at the tech in the materials forloh is using its pretty impressive compared to other brands. Definitely dont think they're having a hard time getting some sweet materials made here. They're using recco reflectors, permethrin treatment and uv blocking fabric on a couple pieces, as well as a fabric that cools you off as you sweat when its hot. And the cooling definitely works very well for me while im sweating bullets wearing their hoody. The quality control and materials is just better in my experience and im so sick of sending money to china too. The fit of the clothing between the 2 is similar, pretty sure they have a former kuiu designer working at forloh

Also, the forloh softshell blows the sitka one i had out of the water, at the same or similar price point too. The sitka jackets water repellency was pitiful at best, that goretex crap is a joke. The forloh softshell has seen more use so far and is still holding up great in the rain

Can you elaborate at all? I’ve seen this sentiment several times, never with any explanation on how or why it’s better. Piece for piece comparisons of Forloh vs Sitka or Kuiu seem to be basically nonexistent.

I’m not saying Forloh or Origin aren’t or can’t be technically better, but when you have people in the industry saying the best fabrics are simply not available from US sources (Aron on a recent Kifarucast), some details would be helpful.
Also aron possibly/probably hasnt heard of or tried any of the forloh stuff. He gets free clothes and they are all from his industry buddies that make stuff overseas. I like aron but its a bit strange to tout that his made in usa packs are so superior but that with clothing its just simply not possible to make better here

jake.king

FNG
That and brands that brag about being 100% American made and then use camo that’s made overseas. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

Origin looks like they combined the old school tiger stripe camo with ridge reaper. I kinda like it
Forloh is in fact made 100% in the states, so they claim is real.

And as far and head to head comparisons go.. it was already spendy enough when i decided to switch everything to forloh so i sold all my other clothing from kuiu, sg and sitka in order to help offset the cost of getting more forloh pieces. Definitely not gonna buy any more communist made gear just to compare. So i had only the softshell and pants at first to directly compare since i bought them first, and they were hands down better quality in my experience

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
And as far and head to head comparisons go.. it was already spendy enough when i decided to switch everything to forloh so i sold all my other clothing from kuiu, sg and sitka in order to help offset the cost of getting more forloh pieces. Definitely not gonna buy any more communist made gear just to compare. So i had only the softshell and pants at first to directly compare since i bought them first, and they were hands down better quality in my experience
I'm all for made in America but never trust anyone dressed head to toe in one kind of clothing..... Mainly because I have yet to see one brand have ALL the "best" pieces.

I'm all for made in America but never trust anyone dressed head to toe in one kind of clothing..... Mainly because I have yet to see one brand have ALL the "best" pieces.
They dont have all the best stuff. The puffy jacket has a weird fit and no hood, i also dont like the cuffs. Otherwise their gear is very nice that I've tried so far, i don't have every piece tho

Edit: i forgot i do still have my kuiu puffy pants. I use the western mountaineering ones i bought for my wife most the time now tho, unless shes with me lol. Those are also made in america and are very nice!

Last edited:
Forloh also doesn't have any base layers that appeal to me. I prefer merino and they dont have any, plus i dont think i can go back now that i have had zip off boot top bottoms. Maybe they will come out with some that id try down the road

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Forloh also doesn't have any base layers that appeal to me. I prefer merino and they dont have any, plus i dont think i can go back now that i have had zip off boot top bottoms. Maybe they will come out with some that id try down the road
I used the Forloh Thermoneutral down puffy last fall and it's a great piece very well built but the SG Grumman is warmer and lighter with a hood. I have their lightweight rain jacket that I don't even see on their website anymore. I take that jacket everywhere. It's VERY waterproof for a breathable rain jacket and very durable. The three pieces I have from Forloh are sewn very well.

I used the Forloh Thermoneutral down puffy last fall and it's a great piece very well built but the SG Grumman is warmer and lighter with a hood. I have their lightweight rain jacket that I don't even see on their website anymore. I take that jacket everywhere. It's VERY waterproof for a breathable rain jacket and very durable. The three pieces I have from Forloh are sewn very well.
Its made well i think i just would prefer it with a hood and a different style of cuff, i agree its not lightest or the warmest. I really like the puffy vest from forloh too but to stay warm I've had to wear both of them if its really cold. I also have that light rain jacket and its awesome but i mostly been wearing the softshell lately. Its impressively waterproof for a softshell.

Its great to have quality gear thats made here, call me vain but i really hope origin makes some stuff in solids. Cause I'd like to try it but that camo is hideous to me lol

From what I know about Cam Hanes and Jocko Willink, I hope that they are marvelously successful. I believe that Cam has earned everything he has, and nobody puts in more physical work to be a successful hunter. Jocko is just a good, hard working guy that served his country and is now taking his military successes to the business world. I'll admit I'm not crazy about the camo pattern, but I will definitely be interested to see what they have when it's available. I'm becoming more convinced every day, that I'd rather spend more for American made, than give my money to a company that uses low-paying Asian facilities to make my gear. I have packs from Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier, a quilt from Enlightened Equipment, and I've been looking at the Forloh clothing, so bring on the Origin line.

Yoder

WKR

It's weird that people who make and profit off of Chinese clothing made by slaves are saying you can't get the same quality here in the U.S.A. I never seen Ford say Toyota makes a better truck either.

It's weird that people who make and profit off of Chinese clothing made by slaves are saying you can't get the same quality here in the U.S.A. I never seen Ford say Toyota makes a better truck either.

You realize my quote is from someone who manufactures packs 100% US made and sourced, right?

sneaky

"DADDY"
You realize my quote is from someone who manufactures packs 100% US made and sourced, right?
There's a pretty big difference between technical fabric for clothing, and fabric for backpacks. With that being said, the fabric for both can be sourced here, companies just choose not to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk