It wasn’t Talley - it’s apparently me. Scope won’t stay fixed - Update: fixed. Added to first post

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
clarification - I just assumed that meant putting in a vise to mount the scope.

Shooting is just self supported on a rest.

freddyG

WKR
Just buy some good rings like seekins, Nightforce, badger etc. Talley‘s suck. Employees at talley can’t tell the difference between round or oval.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Just buy some good rings like seekins, Nightforce, badger etc. Talley‘s suck. Employees at talley can’t tell the difference between round or oval.
No base options, I started trying to go that route a year ago as Seekins was my original pursuit. Nada. Vortex precisions matched (Seekins) makes a set compatible with weaver slots, but not in low for 30mm.

amassi

WKR
No base options, I started trying to go that route a year ago as Seekins was my original pursuit. Nada. Vortex precisions matched (Seekins) makes a set compatible with weaver slots, but not in low for 30mm.
You've got options
1- use 2 piece rem 700 pic bases
2- use a 1 piece pic rail for the 6 lug and some nf ultralights

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yeah, my fault. I should have listed it.

I had heard the 700 bases “will work.” Called Burris, they said maybe, ask Weatherby. Weatherby said I need to use the correct bases. The rear is either shorter or taller than the 700, can’t remember which. Also rumors the front screws are different lengths. No idea, but not comfortable mixing parts for another action.

Not really interested in a rail. The Near Mfg might be okay, but at $375 and who knows how much lead time to get it, it’s out.

I had no idea a Weatherby would be so difficult just to put a scope on. Plan B is to just lug the 30-06 around with ol Nikon scope.

freddyG

WKR
There are multiple rail manufacturers. If you don’t care for a rail, you could chop it, and end up with essentialy bases. The only downside is a tenth or so higher mounting height. Weight is almost the same as using talley lightweights.

As stated earlier in this thread, this will solve your problem, as the chance of having an undersized swfa scope is virtually zero.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Checks. Scope tube is fine, 30.0mm exactly. As expected. Also got SWFA on the phone, they said 28in-lb is fine. No hesitation. “Whatever the manufacturer says is fine on our scope.”

All checked, going to shoot it.

Also went to the local(ish) gun shop today. They have 4 or 5 gunsmiths on staff. Next step if it doesn’t work is a pic rail, they’ll machine it into a two piece and I’ll throw some Seekins or Hawkins rings on it. Whatever I can get that are the lowest.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, don't give up yet.

Get some bases here.
Rings here.

Bust out your loctite and allen key, and get it done.

If it doesn't work, return the bases, and I'll buy the rings from you.

Edit: Just saw your most recent post. Good luck at the range!

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Nope. Full reset, recleaned, remounted, checked torque wrench, called SWFA to get the ok and torqued to 28in-lb.

Only difference is that it made it 7 rounds before it twisted again. No change. And still no fore/aft movement at all.

Oh, except add another issue. Elevation turret is bottomed out and still 1.8 mils high. (25 yards. It’s the only range within an hour so it’s all I have until I get this scope mount figured out. Excellent outdoor range a couple of hours out that I’ll move to when it’s worth the drive.)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Nope. Full reset, recleaned, remounted, checked torque wrench, called SWFA to get the ok and torqued to 28in-lb.

Only difference is that it made it 7 rounds before it twisted again. No change. And still no fore/aft movement at all.

Oh, except add another issue. Elevation turret is bottomed out and still 1.8 mils high. (25 yards. It’s the only range within an hour so it’s all I have until I get this scope mount figured out. Excellent outdoor range a couple of hours out that I’ll move to when it’s worth the drive.)

You have something going on and it isn’t a scope issue.

Do you have a picture of the whole setup?

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Agreed.

Back home, I’ll get it set up in the bench vise and measure instead of eyeballing. Not sure I can get a useful photo through the scope, but I’ll see what I can do.

Anything external will be easy to get pics of.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I’m about to remount and level and check plumb and see how far it actually rotated. Seemed pretty bad to the eyeball but I want to check.

I have a laundry list of questions about the turret but that’s a secondary problem at this point.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't even see where Leupold listed a ringmount setup for a MkV *6 lug/lightweight* Everything I saw was for a MkV and I'm betting they're for magnums (based on searches that I had for my 6 lug.) The only mount I saw for the 6 lug from Leupold was the backcountry cross-slot one piece rail. That doesn't solve the spinning/turning problem, but that's the only thing I noticed in all of this.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Absolutely could be an issue. They definitely say “Weatherby Mark V.” They’re coming off anyway, the lowest are mediums and I’m assuming that’s why I can’t get the scope turret any lower.

Doesn’t explain the Talley’s as they are lows, but at least I think it’s an easy kill on the elevation problem I have. (The Leupold show ring height at 1.06”. That seems higher than “medium.”)

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
That last part drives a question about rails as well. Wouldn’t a rail with rings mounted on top also be too high?

How high your scope is of the action has nothing to do with scope internal travel.

What angle the mounts are to the bore would do that.

Your scope could be 4" high and it wouldn't matter if the angle was correct.

I think you have the wrong mounts or the mounts mounted wrong. That scope should have plenty of travel.

I really think you need to take it to a gunsmith.