is there anywhere in Wyoming that isn't windy?

Like many others east out east or in the Midwest, I dream of one day moving west to a friendly town close to good elk hunting. I always here that Wyoming is windy and unless you can deal with wind all the time don't consider it as a replant option. I hate wind so I've haven't spent much time considering the state but my question is: Isn't there anywhere in the state of Wyoming near good elk hunting that's not windy?

One thing that would be nice for us would be: access (within an hour or so) to a larger town that would have some urban amenities (Lowes, restaurants, cinema, etc...).

Isn't there anywhere in Wyoming that isn't windy?

HOT ROD

WKR
Buffalo or Sheridan are not bad.... Stay away from the I 25 corridor from Kaycee to Cheyenne I here Lander and Riverton are not bad....

WyoElk

WKR
...and inside the car. Other than that, the answer is no.

This is assuming you can get the car door open to get inside. Sometimes you have to time it between gusts and then make damn sure you don't let go of the door.

HOT ROD

WKR
I was originally from Nw Pa. So the wind took sum time to get use to... We for sure get way more snow there... Casper gets sum snow. But with in a day or two. Its gone thanks to 50+ mile an hour winds... The summers are not bad. A little rain here and there. Mainly just for a couple minutes at most. U are thank full for the little wind then....

ChrisS

WKR
Buffalo or Sheridan are not bad.... Stay away from the I 25 corridor from Kaycee to Cheyenne I here Lander and Riverton are not bad....
I stopped in Buffalo in February years ago when I was driving home from military. I don't remember the exact temps, but it had to have been -10 or -20 with a 40 mph constant "breeze". All I wanted was a hot shower and the Motel Six had the water temp set at lukewarm. It was so cold overnight that the radio in my truck broke and I had to selectively apply pressure to the dial to get it to do anything, otherwise it would just spin.

Russp17

WKR
Like many others east out east or in the Midwest, I dream of one day moving west to a friendly town close to good elk hunting. I always here that Wyoming is windy and unless you can deal with wind all the time don't consider it as a replant option. I hate wind so I've haven't spent much time considering the state but my question is: Isn't there anywhere in the state of Wyoming near good elk hunting that's not windy?

One thing that would be nice for us would be: access (within an hour or so) to a larger town that would have some urban amenities (Lowes, restaurants, cinema, etc...).

Isn't there anywhere in Wyoming that isn't windy?

Jackson hole isn't bad (but who can afford to live there). Your best bet is Sheridan or Buffalo. Wind will blow but not that bad.

OP
darcytribe
appreciate the humor and the suggestions of areas to consider. Anyone know what the population of griz is in the Big Horns?

JWP58

WKR
appreciate the humor and the suggestions of areas to consider. Anyone know what the population of griz is in the Big Horns?

0...nada

In all honesty I don't think its overly windy. Yes the southeast corner has its days where its blowing 60 all day. But so does a lot of places. I love the wind, keeps all the greenies at bay, and reminds me of the good ol' days in west Texas.

Last edited: