is it my scope or loads? 98% good, 2% fail @ 100 yards

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
OP I see 2 potential causes to your problem.
1- bad scope.
2- user error.
I’m leaning more towards user error. That amount of recoil can make you flinch and throw your shot off. Here’s an easy test. Next time you and your wife go shooting have her load the rifle for you 1 round at a time. You shoot it and she watches your reaction. Have her randomly cock it and pretend to load it. She watches to see if you flinch when you pull the trigger and nothing happens. The key is you don’t know when it’s not loaded.

Spend the money on ammunition/practice before you go changing parts. Also, at the distance you’re talking about there should be no need to dial the scope. Zero it at 100 yards and don’t touch the scope again. If you’re constantly adjusting it, that makes me think you’re flinching again.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
hi western duck - thanks for the tips. I grew up shooting all kinds of things.. i certainly dont flinch - ive shot 150 rounds thru this rifle, and fwiw the loads are alot softer than the box ammo- not sure if thats the powder or neck tension etc but at 100 yards there shouldnt be much difference. anyway its certainly not me flinching at all i can guarantee you that.

We shoot off steady rests with lots of support so movement is tiny - why everyone is assuming im super incapable here is quite interesting. Im fairly new to reloading and was wondering if that might have been a factor. Ill just ignore all the people making fun of me i really dont care -

Thanks for the tips though at least you came across as a gentleman. Too much moonshiners in here clearly who dole over their superior knowledge.

My comm skills must suck to throw so many ppl way off target lol .. anwyay it is what it is.

WIll call cabellas and look at upgrading to a leupold vx3 hopefully my random issues will be gone..

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a friend who has very similar problems, Nice groups, two three shot groups in a row, then not even on paper at 100 yards. He does this over and over. Every time, it come down to him flinching or jerking the trigger. I watch him do it. He doesn't even know he is doing it, but he most certainly is. Put a deer or Elkk in his scope and you have a dead animal ever time. Something to think about.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
What was done to sight them in? Is there a range there?

Would have thought so but clearly not- like i said we didnt have time to check the guns - i shot at 30 yards when we got to the hunting grounds and it looked close enough but after missing that deer i realized how bad it was.

Last trip we were doing good with a 2" group at 100 yards semi standing.. then the last 2 missed the target at 50 - very odd random misses 2% of the time.

Antares

WKR
I have inexpensive Bushnell bore sighter that mounts into the muzzle of various rifles by using different expandable rods base on the Cal. of the weapon you are using it and projects a crosshair target when you view it through your scope, it shows graduation for elevation and windage, while looking through the scope you make adjustments until the reticle on your scope matches the crosshairs on bore sighter. It will put you within a few inches of bullseye at 100 yards, then you can adjust from there. I do not like laser bore sighters.

What’s your point?

I said boresighted does not equal zeroed. Do you disagree?

OP said Cabelas got him within 5” and you’re saying your method gets you “within a few inches.”

GSPHUNTER

WKR
hi western duck - thanks for the tips. I grew up shooting all kinds of things.. i certainly dont flinch - ive shot 150 rounds thru this rifle, and fwiw the loads are alot softer than the box ammo- not sure if thats the powder or neck tension etc but at 100 yards there shouldnt be much difference. anyway its certainly not me flinching at all i can guarantee you that.

We shoot off steady rests with lots of support so movement is tiny - why everyone is assuming im super incapable here is quite interesting. Im fairly new to reloading and was wondering if that might have been a factor. Ill just ignore all the people making fun of me i really dont care -

Thanks for the tips though at least you came across as a gentleman. Too much moonshiners in here clearly who dole over their superior knowledge.

My comm skills must suck to throw so many ppl way off target lol .. anwyay it is what it is.

WIll call cabellas and look at upgrading to a leupold vx3 hopefully my random issues will be gone..
Reloading is a science, it needs to be very precise time after time, a slight variance in powder charge or bullet depth can make a big difference. I am not talking from personal experience, but my friend has been reloading everything for over 50 years. He is anal about his accuracy when it comes to reloading and has impressed upon me how important it is. It takes time and experience to get it right every time.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What’s your point?

I said boresighted does not equal zeroed. Do you disagree?

OP said Cabelas got him within 5” and you’re saying your method gets you “within a few inches.”
Just saying a good job of bore sighting will get close enough to be able to see what adjustments you need to make. Bore sighting absolutely does not equal zero. I did not read every post, so I missed where he mentioned the 5 " part.

Would have thought so but clearly not- like i said we didnt have time to check the guns - i shot at 30 yards when we got to the hunting grounds and it looked close enough but after missing that deer i realized how bad it was.

Last trip we were doing good with a 2" group at 100 yards semi standing.. then the last 2 missed the target at 50 - very odd random misses 2% of the time.
The fact you never personally confirmed your zero and went hunting with it says a lot. It’s no wonder people are on you like they are, and you’re taking it offensively. If you don’t have time, take the time and miss the hunt to make it right.

At this point, I would say you are in fact flinching. I would also guess since you dropped the rifles off to cabelas, the guy that set your rifle didn’t take the pains you personally would to make sure it’s right. You could have a base that’s loose, ring that’s loose, scope that’s crapped out, action screws are loose. Who knows. I don’t care how much you work, you owe it the animals you hunt to make sure your equipment is ready to go. If it takes you multiple trips to the range to confirm your zero on your rifle you need to reevaluate your process. If you don’t have time, funds, or whatever other excuse you can think of to not problem shoot your equipment, sit the season out and fix it. Lots of people are trying to make sense of your issue, while trying to help you out, but your feelings are getting hurt. There’s a reason they’re being harsh.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider

No problem dude. Just trying to be helpful. I stand by my opinion of shooter error though and I don’t mean that as an insult. I’ve struggled with it before if I hadn’t shot often enough and I’ve been shooting since I was a kid too. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

You said you’re an engine builder so we probably think the same, I’m a diesel mechanic. Let me try to give an analogy- if your wife came to you and said she thinks her car has an issue. What do you do? I’d go out and inspect it in the driveway(inspecting the rifle at home). Then I’d take it for a test drive if I didn’t find anything(going out shooting) to try and replicate the problem. I wouldn’t just buy parts and guess.

Whatever the problem is you want to address it before hunting again. You owe it to the animal to be 100 percent confident that you can kill it ethically. And to be honest you don’t sound that confident, which is why others are hazing you.

I hope you get everything figured out though and stick around. This is a pretty cool and informative site.

I think people are being pretty pointed because of a few things. You don’t seem to respect the animals enough to make sure you and your equipment can give them a humane kill, you don’t seem to respect those around you (you drive somewhere to use a free range and shoot up signs around there), and you are pushing back on suggestions and comments unless they are centered around equipment error.

If your next few shots are on target, that would point to user error. If they are still several feet off, that points to a probable scope issue, or smaller chance of a rifle issue. Either way, one of those two is pretty messed up and needs fixing.