is it my scope or loads? 98% good, 2% fail @ 100 yards

magtech

WKR
I sighted in a diamondback tactical with a guy yesterday. Turn the dial 4 clicks same bullet impact. Shoot again then the scope moves and groups. Id take the scope off and replace it with something worthy of repeadtedness. Please dont buy cheap rings as well.

While the scope is off ensure your barrell is free floated properly, stock is seated properly (sometimes they bind up and arent perfectly together when it looks together), then torque the 2 action screws properly.

The major problem here is if hes got a cheap crap scope, what else did he cheap out on thats just screwing the pooch, to include reloading. Thats why guys are reccommending using good box ammo, not cheap. It will remove the reloading variable, for the time being.

As for being off 4ft at 100.. thats the shooter, or a fundamental process problem with shooting knowledge.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I sighted in a diamondback tactical with a guy yesterday. Turn the dial 4 clicks same bullet impact. Shoot again then the scope moves and groups. Id take the scope off and replace it with something worthy of repeadtedness. Please dont buy cheap rings as well.

While the scope is off ensure your barrell is free floated properly, stock is seated properly (sometimes they bind up and arent perfectly together when it looks together), then torque the 2 action screws properly.

The major problem here is if hes got a cheap crap scope, what else did he cheap out on thats just screwing the pooch, to include reloading. Thats why guys are reccommending using good box ammo, not cheap. It will remove the reloading variable, for the time being.

As for being off 4ft at 100.. thats the shooter, or a fundamental process problem with shooting knowledge.
My dad always told me, it's a poor mechanic who blames his tools. Not saying that is the case here, just something to think about.

Antares

WKR
I'm not trying to be rude here, @CamaroMan, but something isn't adding up.

- You don't have the time to shoot/troubleshoot your rifle,
- You don't have the time (and/or skills?) to mount your own scope,
- but you have the time and skills to reload?

If you can't hit a street sign at 50 yards, or are missing deer by FOUR FEET at 100 yards, you have no business hunting until you get your poop in a group.

croben

WKR
I’ve been in two classes now where two different guys had an issue with their Vortex scope and had to pull it from the class. The first time they put a NF on his rifle and got him going the rest of the class. The second time the guy just ran an instructor’s rifle. This might just be a fluke, but I would look at a better scope. I’ve yet to see anyone else have an issue like this with a quality optic.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
I'm not trying to be rude here, @CamaroMan, but something isn't adding up.

- You don't have the time to shoot/troubleshoot your rifle,
- You don't have the time (and/or skills?) to mount your own scope,
- but you have the time and skills to reload?

If you can't hit a street sign at 50 yards, or are missing deer by FOUR FEET at 100 yards, you have no business hunting until you get your poop in a group.

My goodness. Ok i get it might not make sense but I was reloading as a hobby, we bought our guns RIGHT before seasona nd did not have chance to shoot them, hence why i missed horribly at 100 yards. The guns were sighted at cabellas initially by a very old man with bad eye sight.

After that ordeal we took it to the desert and I started shooting my loads which i did as a hobby - and compared to 2 boxes of store ammo, both yielded similar results - our initial correction on the scopes was literally 20 or more clicks out, it was so bad we couldnt believe it. OVer the few trips weve dialed them in a little here and there - and the rifles have performed well, except for the oddball critter here and there - that makes NO SENSE hence this post.

Reloading is doable which I can do after work on the kitchen table versus having to plan a whole 2 day trip into no mans land to get to a place where we can safely shoot miles and miles away from any other humans.

The scope I mounted here as well with my torque wrench and loctite- so that should explain that.

Thirdly -

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
FOREVERYONE MAKING WILD A$$ ASSUMPTIONS:
I DID NOT MISS A DEER AT 100 AFTER DIALING IN MY SCOPE. That was when we JUST picked up our rifles shortly before hunting season and did not have enough time to check the scopes and accuracy - we just winged it..

After that we started shooting 20-30 rounds mixed box and loads - initially the "sighted" scopes were out (in my gun the worst) it took almost 30 clicks at 50 yards before the rounds started showing up, then fine tuning as we went.

The reason im confused is because we would have very good results - and then bam, out of nowhere - 2 shots both missed a parking sign at 50, despite making 3-4" groups consistently for say 20-30 rounds OVER THE WEEKEND - 3 shots at a time and letting gun cool.

Dammit and NO - I am NOT SHOOTING 30 ROUNDS AT TTIME.

I know some are trying to help but man can the dam ppl who want to question why im reloading or why im not drinking bud light or why i didnt bla bla - sheesh cut a guy some slack.. Im not sure how reliable these vortex things are, by some comments not much. Please can we try STAY ON POINT instead of arguing dumb a$$umptions..

Primarily trying to root out if a bad load could cause anomalies like this (seems like less likely) - or more likely a scope/ring issue.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
What was done to sight them in? Is there a range there?
not sure how they do it- we dropped em off and picked em up.. as posted before mine was by far WAY out of whack..

Seems like most posts are pointing to the scope and/or rings.. i did buy leopold mount rings and used my inch torque wrench with blue loctite.. i dont see the rings moving much .. im careful with it always.. maybe a slight bump but thats nothing compared to the recoil of these things imo -

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
I’ve been in two classes now where two different guys had an issue with their Vortex scope and had to pull it from the class. The first time they put a NF on his rifle and got him going the rest of the class. The second time the guy just ran an instructor’s rifle. This might just be a fluke, but I would look at a better scope. I’ve yet to see anyone else have an issue like this with a quality optic.

highly considering this - despite all the good reviews thanks for some actual real world info there.. we are tight for $ and cant throw $ all over the place. if it comes to that i guess ill have to - what sgtrikes me odd as posted above, is how iver 3 camping trips we have refired and gotten good results, then the last two i kinda popped off before packing up didnt hit a 12" target at 50 - super worrying.

There anrent ranges close by - its aheck of a drive to get anywhere with enough range so when we go camp thats when i do it - during summer here camping is a nono / too hot so i have to wait until now to try squeeze a trip in to see what the heck is going on b4 season -

Antares

WKR
My goodness. Ok i get it might not make sense but I was reloading as a hobby, we bought our guns RIGHT before seasona nd did not have chance to shoot them, hence why i missed horribly at 100 yards. The guns were sighted at cabellas initially by a very old man with bad eye sight.

Are you saying you took a rifle that was boresighted by a guy a the Cabelas gun counter hunting without having ever shot it?

Having a boresight be out by 5 MOA (20 clicks) is totally acceptable. The point of a boresight is to get on paper, not have it be zeroed.

Regardless, that 5 MOA zero error from homeboy at Cabelas is not why you "missed horribly at 100 yards."

Sorry if you feel like your getting your balls busted here, but story has some serious headscratchers in it and I'm just trying to keep up.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So you are in the LA area. Take a trip out to Burro canyon, or Angeles shooting range and shoot out there. There are lots of guys who might be able to witness the problem you are experiencing and help you out. The ranges have range masters to ensure rules are being followed. these guys are well versed in shooting and sighting in all sorts of fire arms. They are always willing to help guys out.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
Antares yes - unfortunately i thought theyd be able to do at least a semi decent job there - obviously not. had no time to get a trip in unfortunately lesson learned.

GPS - yeah thanks, i did learn about that one last yr- i didnt even get to go surf 2023 thats how hard i had to work to make rent. Terrible terrible year- i own a small business and its suprbly tough making that work in LA.

We usually hit mojave thats where i do the sighting - problem is the issue will show up 2% of the time, and thats whats got me most worried- i can pop off 20 rounds all good, and then suddenly its off so much .. dont have $ to toss around we bought the vortexs cos of the rep and warranty - ill check the ring torque but doubt that changed I build engines and do this all day so im not too worried about that but will check anyway-

from the more reasonable and helpful commenters it seems there is sth iffy with the scope..

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I DID NOT MISS A DEER AT 100 AFTER DIALING IN MY SCOPE. That was when we JUST picked up our rifles shortly before hunting season and did not have enough time to check the scopes and accuracy - we just winged it..

After that we started shooting 20-30 rounds mixed box and loads - initially the "sighted" scopes were out (in my gun the worst) it took almost 30 clicks at 50 yards before the rounds started showing up, then fine tuning as we went.

The reason im confused is because we would have very good results - and then bam, out of nowhere - 2 shots both missed a parking sign at 50, despite making 3-4" groups consistently for say 20-30 rounds OVER THE WEEKEND - 3 shots at a time and letting gun cool.

I know some are trying to help but man can the dam ppl who want to question why im reloading or why im not drinking bud light or why i didnt bla bla - sheesh cut a guy some slack.. Im not sure how reliable these vortex things are, by some comments not much. Please can we try STAY ON POINT instead of arguing dumb a$$umptions..

Primarily trying to root out if a bad load could cause anomalies like this (seems like less likely) - or more likely a scope/ring issue.
You need to stop shooting mixed rounds, pick one, sight in using that round, and stick with it. if you continue having the same problem, it's time to get professional help finding the issue. I mention in another post about two different gun ranges in the LA area where you might be able to get some insight to your problem.

Antares

WKR
Antares yes - unfortunately i thought theyd be able to do at least a semi decent job there - obviously not. had no time to get a trip in unfortunately lesson learned.

They did a fine job, but there was a miscommunication about what was being done; they were boresighting and you though they were zeroing (which can only be done with live fire). Boresighted does not equal zeroed, that's the lesson to be learned here.

Boresighted rifles are not ready to hunt. The animal deserves better. Please don’t ever take a rifle hunting again that you have not personally zeroed with live rounds.

Vortex rifles are garbage

sndmn11

WKR

I don't care about reloading or your choice of drink.

I do care about the first paragraph. I also will point out I made no assumption and asked what took place at Cabela's.

Staying on point---> take hunter safety again and sit the season out until you can hit what you are aiming at. Mixed cartridges, shooting parking signs, the above... Your decision making process and your equipment need some work.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
not shooting mixed rounds- i was comparing box to mine and they were yielding very similar results around 100 yards. It was just a short comparison when i started loading to see if there was a short range difference and there wasnt. I think I have the info I need will have to log each shot across our two rifles and swap scopes to see if the issue moves.. or option 2 is return the vortex and get a leupold instead which i will prob do.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
They did a fine job, but there was a miscommunication about what was being done; they were boresighting and you though they were zeroing (which can only be done with live fire). Boresighted does not equal zeroed, that's the lesson to be learned here.
I have inexpensive Bushnell bore sighter that mounts into the muzzle of various rifles by using different expandable rods base on the Cal. of the weapon you are using it and projects a crosshair target when you view it through your scope, it shows graduation for elevation and windage, while looking through the scope you make adjustments until the reticle on your scope matches the crosshairs on bore sighter. It will put you within a few inches of bullseye at 100 yards, then you can adjust from there. I do not like laser bore sighters.