Is a 5" suppressor perfect for the 22CM?

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
I have an AB 10 stack and a DD Wolfhunter and quite a few more including the scythe. The wolfhunter is the perfect can for a short barreled 6mm or 22 IMO.
How does the wolf hunter compare to the scythe?

ID_Matt

WKR
I have an ultra 5 that I thought would be perfect for my 18" 22CM and 6CM, but it sure leaves you wanting more in terms of recoil/noise reduction. It is a big difference when comparing it to a 6-7" can. I ended up ordering a scythe TI. Not sure what I will do with the 5. The only thing it would make sense for might be a sheep hunt where I am truly counting every ounce.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an ultra 5 that I thought would be perfect for my 18" 22CM and 6CM, but it sure leaves you wanting more in terms of recoil/noise reduction. It is a big difference when comparing it to a 6-7" can. I ended up ordering a scythe TI. Not sure what I will do with the 5. The only thing it would make sense for might be a sheep hunt where I am truly counting every ounce.
This kind of confirms what I suspected with the 5. I had little experience around them, but figured it would be instant buyer's remorse.
Thanks for the summary

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an AB 10 stack and a DD Wolfhunter and quite a few more including the scythe. The wolfhunter is the perfect can for a short barreled 6mm or 22 IMO.
In terms of sound suppression where do you rank those 3, I have been tossing around all 3 as future options? I have a raptor 8 currently and will eventually get another can and have considered getting a 6mm sized one for 243/6cm/223 usage like the wolf hunter but then I question not just getting another 30cal can for versatility.

AB tested a 16" 223 with the 5.56 raptor 8 (123.9db) vs 7.62 raptor 8 (127.3db) vs 7.62 raptor 8 with a 5.56 end cap (125.3db).

Lawnboi

WKR

The smaller cans seem to work fine on 223. A 6.5 ultra 5 is still on my list for a permanent 223 suppressor. Hard to justify when I have a 6.5 ultra 7 though.

That said OP I can say that I can tell a difference between my 30 cal and 6.5 cal ultra 7 on my 223/22 creed.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve compared a Scythe to a DD STi (wolf hunter with bigger bore) and thought the STi was a tad quieter. Fairly confident the wolf hunter on a smaller bore cartridge would be even better.

If I ever go 6mm (-) it’s my next purchase.

SloppyJ

WKR
In terms of sound suppression where do you rank those 3, I have been tossing around all 3 as future options? I have a raptor 8 currently and will eventually get another can and have considered getting a 6mm sized one for 243/6cm/223 usage like the wolf hunter but then I question not just getting another 30cal can for versatility.

AB tested a 16" 223 with the 5.56 raptor 8 (123.9db) vs 7.62 raptor 8 (127.3db) vs 7.62 raptor 8 with a 5.56 end cap (125.3db).
It's a bit hard to compare due to what I shoot them on. I haven't done a back to back to back test on one gun but I could on my 6 creed.

In terms of straight sound suppression:
1. AB Raptor 10 with 3" reflex
2. Dd wolfhunter
3. Scythe

I shoot the AB on almost everything, I shoot the Wolfhunter on my .223 and 6 creed, and I've only shot the scythe on my 300prc. Hard to compare the DD and the Scythe since the scythe is handling much larger cartridges.

They all serve different purposes though. I got the scythe for a lightweight hunting can. Same for the wolfhunter but for 22s and 6mms. The AB was my first can and I was going for maximum sound suppression.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably spring for the DD enticer ti instead of the scythe. Although I will say the scythe has been super consistent out to 1200yds but so has the wolfhunter. At this point I have 7 cans and they all have different pros and cons.

SloppyJ

WKR
How does the wolf hunter compare to the scythe?
Couldn't give you an honest answer. I haven't shot them back to back on my 6 creed but I'd be willing to bet the wolfhunter is quieter just based on the bore diameter. As a bystander, the wolfhunter is stupid quiet.

CMP70306

WKR
So my experience is a Nomad-Ti and a Nomad-L on an 18” .22-250. The Ti has a noticeably louder and unpleasant crack to it when shot under a roof compared to the L. I pretty much require hearing protection when shooting the Ti on that rifle but with the L is is quiet enough that it does not bother my ears. It is better than unsuppressed but other than a shot or two while hunting I’m putting hearing protection in.

I believe only a dedicated .22 Cal can would make a 6” or shorter can tolerable to shoot.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what you want to be fair most cans in NZ are 4 inch forward or less and "reflex" 4inchs plus overbarrel. A 6 inch forward can in NZ is a long can compared to typical. But I guess we don't has tax stamps and regularly run aluminium suppressors so it's a bit of a different market.