Is a 30 cal big game rifle needed anymore?

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
A question for your question:
Are facebook questions, that lead to hundreds of responses, with no real answer needed?

No, but there is no stopping them!
But yet, you answered. No stopping you!!

IMO and IME a good 7mm will handle just about anything in the lower 48. A guy could even argue that a 6.5 with a 140 or 156 is all you would ever need. I think there is a great school of thought to support learning on a smaller caliber to ensure great technique...and there is a great school of thought to support big giant bullets helping overcome less than ideal shot placement in the field. Both bullet placement and energy do matter and Harvard PHD and West Point ballisticians have recently proven that. In hunting, I feel like the animal deserves to be hit as accurately and as hard as possible. Whether someone does that with a 6.5 or a 30, is up to them

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
It is still possible to have a discussion, albeit one that has been had many times. Be respectful, or don't comment. There are already comments and drama being brought over from other threads.

Don't call anyone out by name, as most don't want to be called out by others, or mods. Same goes for memes.
I hoped so...I typed in my discussion and nothing came up in similar threads so I went ahead and sent it.
Either way, the input on how folks are thinking these days is always valuable

Macintosh

WKR
... Both bullet placement and energy do matter and Harvard PHD and West Point ballisticians have recently proven that…
Do you have a link? Id like to check that out. So far everything I have read suggests that there are multiple factors at play, energy being one that, while relevant, is only relevant if it is expended (ie bullet does not pencil or carry energy out the other side), and is highly dependent on 1) how and where within the wound channel it is expended and 2) if there is additional mechanism that isn’t related to energy (such as bullet fragments causing additional injury during the temporary stretch cavity while tissue is near its elastic limit). In other words, what I have read is that everyone already agrees energy is relevant, but none of the resources I have read claim energy is predictive of good performance by itself, none even ask how much damage is “enough”, and no one looking holistically says energy is the only thing thats relevant. Which aligns perfectly with what the “little gun advocates” here are saying. If someone legit is saying otherwise Id like to check that out.

Last edited:
Can’t argue with all the pics/stories of dead game and devastating wound channels with 223’s - 6.5’s with the right bullets.

These "right" bullets have the terminal performance designed into them that exhibit similar terminal performance the traditional larger calibers did and do.

This makes smaller calibers adequate for effective use.

Without that, smaller calibers are just that. Smaller calibers.

Jt89

FNG
The Kiwi rifle of choice for a long time was a .303 Lee Enfield, and when the government here waged war on red deer they got the job done open sights and all. Red stag ain't that different from the rest of your big game animals up there... And we have Elk here too.

Mind you for all the success there was probably lots of missed animals as well, might be why the sako .222 with fixed 4x scope gained popularity shortly after they became available! Oh well, let the debate rage on. It's been going round the campfire for a while and will continue to do so I'm sure

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
Needed? No. Still cool/effective? Yes.

Was just out at my gunsmith's yesterday and we were having this exact conversation about the .308 Winchester. I have this bizarre affinity for that cartridge even though I own identical rifles chambered in more efficient rounds that are easier to shoot.

There is absolutely nothing sexy about a 168 grain .308 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2600 FPS, and the dang rifle will jump out of your hand at less than 6 pounds scoped, but I'll never sell it and I know exactly what to expect when I point it at a critter (bang flop).

The only reason to buy any variety of 30 these days is "want" not "need".
You and I would get along just fine. I couldn’t agree more.

Gorp2007

WKR
b2bddb3981504181300ac49720c84967.jpg

Local 30-cal magnum support group talking about foot pounds of energy.