Is a 30 cal big game rifle needed anymore?

Axlrod

WKR
So recently had a friend make the move into becoming a hunter and asked the age old question...if I bought one rifle and wanted to hunt nearly anything in the lower 48, what should I get.

The classic answer has been a 30 cal...300 WM, 300 Weatherby, 300 RUM, and now 300 PRC and a multitude of short and medium action 30's. We had a long discussion on that and wonder, is this still "the thing?" Do we always wanna tell someone to get a 30?
A question for your question:
Are facebook questions, that lead to hundreds of responses, with no real answer needed?

No, but there is no stopping them!

Bluefish

WKR
Are there still some states that arbitrarily require a minimum of .30 caliber for centerfire to take certain big game species?

I know my state some years ago lowered the caliber restriction to just be any centerfire 22 or greater, but out of the 50 states I suspect there are some that may still have a minimum requirement of .30 or somewhere around there.
Iowa has a 35 cal minimum for white tail and Colorado is 6 mm/243.

TaperPin

WKR
You dang whipper snappers give my smiling muscles a workout, because you feel so enlightened and are the very first humans to have crackled the code of what it takes to kill an animal. Lol

I look forward to all the hunters with 300 mags, short-not-really-mags, 06’s and 308’s to have to give up hunting if they don’t switch to a 6.5 or less.

You are indeed the “special” ones.

Teaman1

WKR
It’s a struggle switching to the new trends with the match bullets for hunting. I grew up with mostly fuddlore so I’m a big 30 fan.
Can’t argue with all the pics/stories of dead game and devastating wound channels with 223’s - 6.5’s with the right bullets.
I still prefer heavy accubonds around 3000 fps for my “normal” hunting. I’m coming around a little though, working up a 208 eldm load (30 Nosler) and thinking about a fast 6.5.
Still anti creedmoor though, only because I like speed haha

Go 6.5 prc, checks a lot of boxes

Last edited:

03mossy

WKR
So let’s say I have my 30-06 built out the way I want it, 1,000’s of 30-06 cases, well stocked on .308 bullets and powder. Would you all still recommend going with a smaller cartridge for the benefits?

03mossy

WKR
My opinion would be to load up the 30-06 and kill anything you want in North America.
With the correct tag of course
That’s were my heads at too but reading all these threads and ones like the 223/6.5 kill threads sure make a guy think.

Teaman1

WKR
That’s were my heads at too but reading all these threads and ones like the 223/6.5 kill threads sure make a guy think.
I think the only thing you would gain is less recoil. 30-06 will kill at a pretty good distance too, with good bullet selection.
Go kill chit with the 30-06 and build something else in 3-4 years if your not happy

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You dang whipper snappers give my smiling muscles a workout, because you feel so enlightened and are the very first humans to have crackled the code of what it takes to kill an animal. Lol

I look forward to all the hunters with 300 mags, short-not-really-mags, 06’s and 308’s to have to give up hunting if they don’t switch to a 6.5 or less.

You are indeed the “special” ones.
Goddamn whipper snatchers.

ElPollo

WKR
Cliff’s Notes summary of these threads:

1) A says do I really need a big magnum caliber?
2) B says you know the smaller ones work well for me and here is some evidence and how I would recommend you use it.
3) C says your evidence is meaningless and you must be either stupid, or a giant wuss, or have significant moral failings to even use that.
4) B says that MFer cray-cray. Meme on!
5) Masses say F-yeah. Meme-pile!
6) Repeat.