Is a 30 cal big game rifle needed anymore?

Why is it always the same folks brining this zombie horse back to life? Horsey is wayyyy dead. We get it, you love magnum 30 cals, shoot them. Tell your nieces, daughters, wives, nephews to shoot them, man up! I’m not a man, I’m barely allowed to be in the woods with my 6.5 manbun, honestly I can’t understand how my boolets can penetrate elk armor it is a marginal coyote round at best.
Okay let’s move on.
Some people stopped learning decades ago, but still think they know it all, despite bring ignorant of the changes during those decades of no new learning.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Some people stopped learning decades ago, but still think they know it all, despite bring ignorant of the changes during those decades of no new learning.
This could be it, why we have to bring it up every 3 weeks is kind of silly though, I get it. I don’t agree with them, they won’t agree with me. So then we sit here and type back and forth silliness to each other…

Lawnboi

WKR
For me, I’d consider another 30 cal if I felt I had the skill and could take advantage of a 215-245 grain bullet. Maybe in a dedicated long range rifle, something in the 14 pound range, for specific scenarios. I could see that being a gun I could use.

Other than that no. I have a hammer of a 3006, shoots 180s beautifully. But all I shoot is suppressed now. And until I get my suppressor with a brake on it, it’s just not as easy to shoot as something smaller. And now that the BC of many of the smaller bullets is greater than a 180 30 cal, it’s gaining nothing.

8trtqc.jpg

No.

It's been proven ad nauseum on this site that at "normal" hunting ranges, say 400 and in, the many non-magnum cartridges in the .224 (where legal), .243, .257, .264, .277, and .284 families are more than adequate with proper bullets, and they don't have to be hot rods. Some common examples include:

.243, 6 Creed, .257 Roberts, 25-06, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, .270, 7mm-08, 7 PRC, .284, .280, and .280AI.

Some less common examples include:

6UM, 6GT, 25 Creed, 25-.284, 25 SST, and 25 PRC.

I believe cartridge choice is the least important aspect of rifle selection. I realize that a new hunter does need some help in that department though. They shouldn't be buying a 338LM to kill blacktails in the thick forests of the coastal California mountains. How the rifle handles and how it feels shouldered in different shooting positions are my basic criteria. I started hunting in 1994 with a Model 721 in 30.06. The rifle didn't fit me well and the stocks weren't designed for scopes. Those two factors affected my shooting ability the most, as did the lack of a recoil pad. Holy flinch! For the average hunter in the U.S., get a 30.06 and don't think twice! I'm an average hunter but, i've killed a lot with an old 30.06. I assembled my first "semi-custom" rifle about 10 years ago in 280AI with a 24" 1:8 twist barrel. The rifle fit me perfectly. The weight, length of pull and scope height were dialed in for prone shooting. I love that cartridge and the vast bullet selection in 7mm. One last thing. After years of shooting and hunting, I realized that a 9# rifle is what I shoot best while hunting. I had 6lb 7oz "mountain" rifle that was great for carrying in the mountains but, I couldn't shoot it for shit! I couldn't stabilize it well enough.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
No, a .30 is not needed. I kill a lot of western game with: .243, .25, 6.5, .270, .284…

That said, I have never seen elk drop as fast as they do shooting the new crop of .30 cal magnums with 205-212 grain bullets at range.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Don't you mean unsuppressed, I mean "un-canned"?

This is about shooting larger rifles afterall, and no responsible person would rely on hearing protection alone...
No I do not.

In an ideal world without the ATF everyone would have a suppressor.

Anecdotally, most people have brakes. I rarely see a suppressor on the field. Seems to mostly be a phenomenon mostly on internet forum crowds

Norm is not a suppressor

Last edited:
No I do not.

Anecdotally, most people have brakes. I rarely see a suppressor on the field. Seems to mostly be a phenomenon mostly on internet forum crowds

Norm is not a suppressor

That's not what the suppressor thread here on RS said a few weeks ago...

KenLee

WKR
No.

It's been proven ad nauseum on this site that at "normal" hunting ranges, say 400 and in, the many non-magnum cartridges in the .224 (where legal), .243, .257, .264, .277, and .284 families are more than adequate with proper bullets, and they don't have to be hot rods. Some common examples include:

.243, 6 Creed, .257 Roberts, 25-06, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, .270, 7mm-08, 7 PRC, .284, .280, and .280AI.

Some less common examples include:

6UM, 6GT, 25 Creed, 25-.284, 25 SST, and 25 PRC.
Get the air compressor out. Time to blow the dust off "ole Bob". He hasn't seen the light in 10 years. I forget about that one til I trip over the cartridge in print.

I don't think 30 is critical but if you are coming from ground zero I would go to the local stores and look at the choices and volumes of ammunition. Then of those with adequate supplies and choices of bullets, I would look for friends or shooting clubs that would allow you to try some out. Talk to a number of people for input and then make a reasonable choice.

I would say 30 cal will be in the running but not critical given the choices today.

KenLee

WKR
No I do not.

Norm is not a suppressor
Norm is not brakes either. Get near me with a brake and one of us is leaving.

I don't think 30 is critical but if you are coming from ground zero I would go to the local stores and look at the choices and volumes of ammunition. Then of those with adequate supplies and choices of bullets, I would look for friends or shooting clubs that would allow you to try some out. Talk to a number of people for input and then make a reasonable choice.

I would say 30 cal will be in the running but not critical given the choices today.
If a guy is only shooting factory ammo, then a look on local shelves is encouraged, but you can buy online in qty as well.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
with current tech and ammo offerings on what 90% of people hunt in the states, no. I've had similar success shooting 6.5prc on large elk as I have my 300 weatherby. I prefer my 300 but it is nice carrying a lighter rifle.