Is a 30 cal big game rifle needed anymore?

ianpadron

WKR
Needed? No. Still cool/effective? Yes.

Was just out at my gunsmith's yesterday and we were having this exact conversation about the .308 Winchester. I have this bizarre affinity for that cartridge even though I own identical rifles chambered in more efficient rounds that are easier to shoot.

There is absolutely nothing sexy about a 168 grain .308 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2600 FPS, and the dang rifle will jump out of your hand at less than 6 pounds scoped, but I'll never sell it and I know exactly what to expect when I point it at a critter (bang flop).

The only reason to buy any variety of 30 these days is "want" not "need".

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
There should be some enforced rule that you have to shoot 1000rds a year out of your hunting rifle to be able to post and participate in caliber discussions for hunting. Almost everyone suggesting 30 cal magnums wouldn't be able to keep the fuddlore going.

To the OP, there's a 223 for bear deer and elk thread and a 6mm hunting success and 6.5mm hunting success. I'd suggest going though those.

If I had to reccomend a gun to a new hunter it would be a 20" suppressed 6mm creedmoor. Factory ammo is going fast enough to take any game at farther than most should shoot.

There should be some enforced rule that you have to shoot 1000rds a year out of your hunting rifle to be able to post and participate in caliber discussions for hunting. Almost everyone suggesting 30 cal magnums wouldn't be able to keep the fuddlore going.

To the OP, there's a 223 for bear deer and elk thread and a 6mm hunting success and 6.5mm hunting success. I'd suggest going though those.

If I had to reccomend a gun to a new hunter it would be a 20" suppressed 6mm creedmoor. Factory ammo is going fast enough to take any game at farther than most should shoot.
Pretty confident he's familiar with those threads

Hnthrdr

WKR

But what if I’m hunting the darkest timber with the really tough mountain elk and I can only take a marginal Texas heart shot?! What if all my shots are liver and back since I suck at shooting?! Won’t that .06 diameter and 50-100 grains make up for all my inadequacies?! I mean no one has shot an elk with a .300 winny and lost it, right?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Needed? No. Still cool/effective? Yes.

Was just out at my gunsmith's yesterday and we were having this exact conversation about the .308 Winchester. I have this bizarre affinity for that cartridge even though I own identical rifles chambered in more efficient rounds that are easier to shoot.

There is absolutely nothing sexy about a 168 grain .308 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2600 FPS, and the dang rifle will jump out of your hand at less than 6 pounds scoped, but I'll never sell it and I know exactly what to expect when I point it at a critter (bang flop).

The only reason to buy any variety of 30 these days is "want" not "need".
Or a 175tmk at 1650. Kind of versatile.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Don't you mean unsuppressed, I mean "un-canned"?

This is about shooting larger rifles afterall, and no responsible person would rely on hearing protection alone...
Not sure why but my 300 winmag. doesn't bother me much. I have shot several rounds in a row no problem. Barnes 180 gr. Surely not a plinking weapon, but not bad. I have a Mossberg 30-06 that kicks like a mule. I need to sell that one to some sucker.

Flyjunky

WKR
Not sure why but my 300 winmag. doesn't bother me much. I have shot several rounds in a row no problem. Barnes 180 gr. Surely not a plinking weapon, but not bad. I have a Mossberg 30-06 that kicks like a mule. I need to sell that one to some sucker.
I’m with ya. Twice a month we go out shooting and I put 40 rounds each through my 300 and 6.5-284, doesn’t bother me a bit. I understand the 300 kicks but come on.

KenLee

WKR

We don't need to f'n practice Randy!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
8trtqc.jpg
IMG_0229.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
Cause that Mossberg kicks like a god forsaken Tikka.
Mossberg, Ruger American, Tikka all kick like a pissed off mule for caliber.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is still possible to have a discussion, albeit one that has been had many times. Be respectful, or don't comment. There are already comments and drama being brought over from other threads.

Don't call anyone out by name, as most don't want to be called out by others, or mods. Same goes for memes.

KenLee

WKR
But what if I’m hunting the darkest timber with the really tough mountain elk and I can only take a marginal Texas heart shot?! What if all my shots are liver and back since I suck at shooting?! Won’t that .06 diameter and 50-100 grains make up for all my inadequacies?! I mean no one has shot an elk with a .300 winny and lost it, right?
You joke, but that Texas heart shot is golden. Never done it with less than a 270 though

Last edited: