Is 5x "good enough" for close range target acquisition for hunting?

I love the Maven RS3. (5-30x) But I wish it was 3 or 4x on the low end. I don't want to spend $1600 bucks and find myself annoyed during close range target acquisition. Does the jump from 3x to 5x on the low end make a big difference during hunting applications? (I am mounting the optic of an Alamo Precision 300 win mag)

My background is lots of upland game bird hunting, but not a lot of big game hunting. Only one Elk hunting trip where the only animal we saw was from the truck on the drive in. I also shot one Wisconsin White Tail doe from 50 yards with my Bushmaster 5.56... just so you know I have some serious hunting street cred. ;)

I don't think I'd actually ever use the 30X for practical hunting purposes but I like some of the feature that RS3 provides over the RS1, for example a true zero stop.

My intended use is out west hunting (and long range shooting) but I know that I could find myself hunting in situations that would require a "close" shot (inside 75 yards).

Thanks!

Your name is Navyhunter.
If you are Military/LE/First Responder call or get on Nightforce’s site. They will give you pro pricing. Then order an NX8. I have (2) 2.5x20s. For hunting, they’re great. You want the 4x32, with an obviously much higher top end magnification, then have at it.
There are USED NX8s for sale on this site for up to $1700. You will get 1, delivered, NEW, for significantly cheaper.
I also have 2 older NXS 5.5x22s. So to answer your question, 5.5 is a little higher than I prefer, but it is not too high. I have shot numerous bulls and bucks in the timber at close range on 5.5. I’d recommend the NX8 though for sure. Good luck

OP
N
Your name is Navyhunter.
If you are Military/LE/First Responder call or get on Nightforce’s site. They will give you pro pricing. Then order an NX8. I have (2) 2.5x20s. For hunting, they’re great. You want the 4x32, with an obviously much higher top end magnification, then have at it.
There are USED NX8s for sale on this site for up to $1700. You will get 1, delivered, NEW, for significantly cheaper.
I also have 2 older NXS 5.5x22s. So to answer your question, 5.5 is a little higher than I prefer, but it is not too high. I have shot numerous bulls and bucks in the timber at close range on 5.5. I’d recommend the NX8 though for sure. Good luck
Thanks! Great info.

The only negative anyone can usually say, is Nightforce scopes are not lightweight. You can hit them with a hammer and they’ll still be on, but they ain’t light. Around 28oz +/- depending on exactly what you get.
But the same guys that tell you Nightforce are too heavy are usually 20-30lbs overweight. I’ll pack a few extra ounces of scope on my incredible lightweight carbon rifle.
Their customer service is excellent. The last wait time when I ordered was quoted at 90-120days, but they are always earlier than later.

OP
N
Your name is Navyhunter.
Thanks!

Zappaman

WKR
It’s fine, I’ve had no issue with 5-6x at sub 75 yards.
Shooting "out west" no problem... in the thick stuff I'd go 3x (and always set my scope on the lowest magnification BEFORE walking away from the truck on ANY hunt. You can always dail out for a longer shot (almost always with time since your not up on and pushing anything typically at longer ranges). BUT when the super short shot presents itself... you want to pull up on the full animal- not the hair on its shoulder ;)

Probably been seen already... but ol' Jack O'Conner used 4x eastern and 6x western-- back in the day ;)

OP
N
Shooting "out west" no problem... in the thick stuff I'd go 3x (and always set my scope on the lowest magnification BEFORE walking away from the truck on ANY hunt. You can always dail out for a longer shot (almost always with time since your not up on and pushing anything typically at longer ranges). BUT when the super short shot presents itself... you want to pull up on the full animal- not the hair on its shoulder ;)

Probably been seen already... but ol' Jack O'Conner used 4x eastern and 6x western-- back in the day ;)
I’m clearly no Jack O’Conner! Just a millennial in “need” of a 32x illuminated scope. ;)

Not sure what you’re getting at, as I hunt just about as far west as physically possible (California). I’ve actually turned my scope up to 6x from 2.5 and 3.6 respectively for shots under 75 yards. A low range of 5-6x wouldn’t stop me a bit.

Macintosh

WKR
Sitting in a blind or stand, 5x no problem for close shots depending on the reticle. You mentioned wisconsin so I assume thats where you live, although that still covers a variety of types of hunting. Still-hunting or tracking in eastern bigger woods, shots are routinely well-under 50 yards and frequently fast, reflexive shots on a moving animal against a very busy background. In this case 5x is way more magnification than I would want especially assuming thats a ffp scope. For this situation your bird hunting experience is closer to reality than your elk hunting experience—there, I would rather have it in 300bkout or similar but your AR with a rds or lpvo may be much more appropriate than a 300winmag precision rifle. I would say 3x is usually my maximum low-end magnification, and that’ll need to be with a reticle thats very useable at that magnification. You can clearly do with a little more, but not at all ideal to me. Aso keep in mind its more about field of view than magnification. Us mil acog is a 4x optic that I see people mention relative to this topic—“if the army uses it for cqb you can use it at 30 yards in the woods”— but it has a field of view wider than many 3x scopes.
Just food for thought.

Last edited:

KyleR1985

WKR
I have a 1x-4x on my .444 handi rifle for close quarters hunting. I like being able to shoot it both eyes open on fast moving situations. When I have magnification I find it messes with my eyes and I can’t do that.

It ain’t gonna allow me to shoot sub MOA at 100. But neither will the rifle.

I shot a burris fast fire for a while, but I really was limited to about 75 yards or so unless I had a really good rest and calm animal. I like the extra light acquisition at dawn and dusk, and being able to dial up magnification a little.

But for fast moving situations, no mag is best mag for me.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Not sure what you’re getting at, as I hunt just about as far west as physically possible (California). I’ve actually turned my scope up to 6x from 2.5 and 3.6 respectively for shots under 75 yards. A low range of 5-6x wouldn’t stop me a bit.
Like @CApighunter, I usually carry my scopes on 6x walking through the woods and I haven’t had any trouble on close shots. If there was the possibility I might have to go into some really thick stuff after a wounded grizzly, I would want to be able to turn the scope down lower. But, I don’t have any grizzly hunts planned, and if I did, I would be taking a low power variable anyway.

Disclaimer - my comments are based on SFP scopes and a 3-9 SWFA FFP. I suspect, but am not sure, that you would need illumination to see the reticle in the woods at 5x if that was the low end of the zoom range on most FFP scopes.

Last edited:
I've shot several coyotes at 6x around 50 yards.

But it really depends more on you then the scope. If you're gonna let your rifle sit most of the year and shoot a 3 round group in camp the day before opener it will be more of a problem.

If you spend time shouldering and dry firing your rifle practicing target accusation it won't be a problem.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a 6-24 on a rifle a few years back. When a 30 yard shot presented itself, even on 6 power I struggled figuring out where I was aiming. All I could see was hair. I finally went to a 3-15 and it’s been much more pleasant
Yep. The last rifle bull I shot was 20-25 yards in the timber. And even with 3x it wasn't ideal. I've shot a few elk in the timber under 100 yards and would prefer iron sights to even 3x in those conditions. 5x would have been a problem for me for instant target acquisition.

Scopes are like bullets; the perfect scope does not exist that covers all possible hunting conditions and scenarios. You’re going to be making a compromise somewhere.

Will tell you that 3x is too much for shooting a Coues at 7 yards; you’ll only see grey.

The closest shot I have had to make was at 10 feet on a whitetail in Kansas. I got it done with my scope set on 3.5x but would have been happier if I could have gone lower.

I now run either 2-10 or 3-15 for my best setups depending on what I am expecting. If I can’t get it done on either 10 or 15 at distance, I probably just can’t get it done.

BjornF16

WKR
Say you’re in grizzly country, and hunting in both open country and thick timber for elk. While in the timber, you hear something, turn around and see a grizzly charging inside of 50 yards.

What minimum power would you want?

Does this affect your decision on the scope you take on your hunt?