Is 5x "good enough" for close range target acquisition for hunting?

prm

WKR
Yes, FOV is technically what is desired. For most similarly designed hunting scopes, zoom is very closely related to FOV.

OP
N
Don't get stuck on minimum magnification, when people say low mag is important they really mean FOV is important at lowest mag, and that can be deceiving. Lets look at three scopes with the "same" 2.5x on the bottom:

Leupold 2.5-8x36 - 37.5' FOV @ 2.5x
Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 - 41.2' FOV @ 2.5x
NF NX8 2.5-20x50 - 41.8' FOV @ 2.5x

I know that doesn't seem like a big difference, but if you are buying a scope with a lower power minimum magnification because it has a low power minimum magnification, then it makes all the difference in the world - the Trijicon and NF can see more than 10% more area at minimum mag than the Loopy can.

So long story short, compare FOV not magnification ranges. There are some eye opening revelations when you look at some examples - compare a 4.5-14x50 Leupold to a 6-24x50 Vortex AMG for instance - there is a 6x that would be more useful at 6x then that 4.5 would be at 4.5.
Great advice. Thanks!

I used to want more magnification because I thought it would give me an advantage. Turns out the opposite was true in a couple of hunting situations.

I missed an opportunity on a bull at close range (40-50 yds) in thick cover using a 4.5-14x44 several years ago. Couldn't get on him quick enough before he disappeared. Ever since then, I have used scopes with lower power and a much wider field of view on the bottom end (2-12x42 currently). I have not missed the higher magnification, except at the range.

Last year, my buddy put 2 rounds into the vitals of a large bull elk with a 300 WM at 200 yds. The bull tumbled downhill and came to rest against a tree after the second shot. An hour later, as we approached the bull to begin breaking him down... the dang thing jumped up and took off at a full sprint. It took 2 more rounds with a 30-06 to put him down. 5x at 10 yds on a running bull would have been difficult.

Those 2 experiences have shaped my opinion on scope magnification. I have a 50x spotter if big magnification is needed. The scope just needs to direct my bullet to the target once I decide to take a shot.

However, today's technology can give you some of both. These options come to mind...
- NF NX8 2.5-20x50
- Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42
- Leica Amplus 6 - 3-18x44

I do think a 5-30x would be awesome as a dedicated long range scope at the range.

That's just my opinion. Hope it helps. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
OP
N
I used to want more magnification because I thought it would give me an advantage. Turns out the opposite was true in a couple of hunting situations.

I missed an opportunity on a bull at close range (40-50 yds) in thick cover using a 4.5-14x44 several years ago. Couldn't get on him quick enough before he disappeared. Ever since then, I have used scopes with lower power and a much wider field of view on the bottom end (2-12x42 currently). I have not missed the higher magnification, except at the range.

Last year, my buddy put 2 rounds into the vitals of a large bull elk with a 300 WM at 200 yds. The bull tumbled downhill and came to rest against a tree after the second shot. An hour later, as we approached the bull to begin breaking him down... the dang thing jumped up and took off at a full sprint. It took 2 more rounds with a 30-06 to put him down. 5x at 10 yds on a running bull would have been difficult.

Those 2 experiences have shaped my opinion on scope magnification. I have a 50x spotter if big magnification is needed. The scope just needs to direct my bullet to the target once I decide to take a shot.

However, today's technology can give you some of both. These options come to mind...
- NF NX8 2.5-20x50
- Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42
- Leica Amplus 6 - 3-18x44

I do think a 5-30x would be awesome as a dedicated long range scope at the range.

That's just my opinion. Hope it helps. Good luck in your search.
That's a great sea story. Helps confirm my choice for the NX8 2.5-20. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Used a fixed 6x this past season and ended up shooting my buck at 40-45 yards tops. No issues at all making a quick shot. I had to stop him with a grunt between two trees and I was on him just fine. I use 4x for my muzzleloader in thick forests and used a fixed 4x on my hog gun for decades which involved many running shots inside of 30 yards. 5x is fine. I can't think of a single situation where I wished I had less magnification.

Esq

FNG
When we started hunting jackrabbits in the sage brush many years ago with Ruger mini 14s we, used 1.5 x 6x scopes and kept them on 1.5x all the time. At 3x we could not find the rabbits in our scopes when they busted out at 5 to 10 yds. We gradually dialed up over time. Now, after years of practice, I carry my rabbit gun dialed to 4x or 5x and can get on even close rabbits quickly. It is definitely an acquired skill.

I think the starting questions are
1. Is this a range rifle that will go hunting or a hunting rifle that will go to the range?
2. What are your shooting distance factors?

From there you can make more informed choices.

In addition to FOV other considerations are eye relief, eye box & weight.
One of the optics I’ve seen mentioned in this thread frequently has an unforgiving eye box that I personally couldn’t get along with.

I shoot to 600 regularly with scopes with a top end of 7x to 12x and still occasionally shoot my scout rifle to 600 with the lowly fixed 2.5x scope. Only hits count.

BjornF16

WKR
No matter what you do, that scenario potentially ends poorly for you :LOL:

Maybe...preparation is key.

If I have a rifle in hand ready to fire (because I'm already hunting), I'm not going to drop it and try to draw my sidearm. I'm certainly not going to drop the rifle to attempt to deploy bear spray (which may not work and may end up blinding me).

Snap shooting a rifle will be easier with low power (wide FOV) optic.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe...preparation is key.

If I have a rifle in hand ready to fire (because I'm already hunting), I'm not going to drop it and try to draw my sidearm. I'm certainly not going to drop the rifle to attempt to deploy bear spray (which may not work and may end up blinding me).

Snap shooting a rifle will be easier with low power (wide FOV) optic.

Agree, I’d prefer a scope dialed to 1x-2x to hip firing any day (the post I responded to). I just decided to be funny instead because, frankly, it’s a crap position to be in no matter what scope you have.

Zappaman

WKR
I've shot several coyotes at 6x around 50 yards.

But it really depends more on you then the scope. If you're gonna let your rifle sit most of the year and shoot a 3 round group in camp the day before opener it will be more of a problem.

If you spend time shouldering and dry firing your rifle practicing target accusation it won't be a problem.
I have a private range and I've started a practice lately of always taking some standing shots at 100 yards before packing the rifle up. I give myself about a second and make the best shot I can- just a few rounds mind you (I'm cheap about burning ammo). I also let myself rest a few minutes between shots.

The BEST thing about growing up on our NM ranches were the jack rabbits. I learned how to lead them with a 22-250 or 243 back then... always standing. The trick was to figure out my best timing and dropping the trigger (almost) knowing where I tended to "wobble" into the target. It's all practice of course, but just to say it's hard to wait for the perfect shot and often better to just go with what you got (on rabbits and some close range deer). With enough misses, you finally figure it out some I guess ;)

SWOHTR

WKR
Less magnification. I think I’ve shot all my deer on 3x, anywhere from 20-100+ yds. This was all wooded, WI and ID. .270 Win.

I’m also a fan of iron sights.

TheGDog

WKR
Just depends on if you believe there will be high probability for an up-close and personal shot opportunity in thicker habitats or not.

If you have such an opportunity, that transpires kinda close-up such as 25yds and under... if it's a big game animal and you have that 4x or greater as your low-end, it means you're likely going to need to get comfortable with the tactic of opening both eyes for that shot initially, so the non-magnified eye can first see where upon the whole body that crosshairs seems to be pointing at... then milliseconds after that has been registered in your brain your other eye can hone-in on finer-detail placement of the crosshairs. But that's the thing though... this causes precious milliseconds to get spent. Whereas if you have a lowend that goes down to 2x or 3x, there's pretty much no doubt with those you'll get on target faster for that close-in shot.

Cause like at 4x+ at 25yd and under... when you throw up that scope on a larger animal, you're mostly just gonna see a buncha brown and not know where it is upon the body at first for a split-second. This problem gets exacerbated the higher up in magnification that low-end is.

EDIT: 3-15x should be able to handle damn near anything you'd likely come across while hunting. Especially if it's big game. Seems to me like you really don't need those very high highend magnification numbers unless the rifle is also used on small critters at longer distances. $.02

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I once shot a 10 pt. at 10 yards with my 270... I jumped him in a nasty wind storm while I was going around a tree in a draw on our NM ranch back about 1979. He froze long enough for me to look down the barrel's edge as my site. I don't suggest this-- but it happened in about a second. I didn't even think to try the scope that day... that close. Thankfully it worked!

I’m supper interested in the Maven RS 3 scope
Love my B6 binos
Ok this might sound dumb but I hunt allot of grizzly country for other critters and when I’m on the move I always carry my rifle at the lowest setting. In case of an unexpected encounter for finding an unwanted target quickly. Probably over thinking this and still going to order one. But I would for prefer to at least 4 power if not lower

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I used to be all about magnification. These days, I'm all about clarity and FOV. But I have found that a 55 power scope for me is the sweet spot. I hunt with a 1.5-5 power and always leave it on 5.

Also, as for target acquisition at close range... I have found that looking through the scope with both eyes open will usually help me "find" an imaged target faster than closing one eye and concentrating on the mag image.

But as to whether 5 power is low enough, my opinion is that it is perfect for me, you may be different.