Ironwill ,DCA Super Sabres or Tac Drivers

Ggarrett

FNG
Has anyone done side by side testing of the Ironwill and the Super Sabres? I am already looking forward to tinkering some after this season since I have already committed to my setup for this year.

My priorities are fixed head flight, durability, wind drift, noise and then drag, in that order. I haven't messed with vanes a whole lot only have two years of us with both TAC 2.75 Drivers and Max Stealths 2.6. My general consensus of the two is that they both steer broad heads as good as I feel I can shoot, noise is negligible (To my ears, I'm often considered to be deaf) , wind drift seemed to be slightly better out of the TAC vanes. TAC takes the cake on durability and its not even close, feel like I am constantly having to replace a stealth. Granted I am very hard on everything I touch so it may not be the vanes fault.

Does anyone think that the IW or DCA are superior to the TACs? If I can justify spending $100+ on vanes to do side by side testing I will but I would rather put that money towards more arrows or broad heads. Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Both the new Iron Will 2.5s and DCA Super Sabres are said to be as quiet or quieter than Max Stealths. The Iron Will 2.5s are a little heavier than the DCA Super Sabres, 9.0 gr vs 7.1 gr. The DCA Super Sabres have less side profile, so should have less wind drift.

As far as drag goes I do not know. The Iron Will 2.5s are a more streamlined shape that should have less drag, but the DCA Super Sabres are molded vanes with rounded edges that should also help with drag. Some testing would be needed in this category.

They both are tall vanes that will steer fixed blade broadheads well. Which will steer them better? Who knows. The Iron Will 2.5s have more surface area, but the DCA Super Sabres have more surface area high and back.

Bump79

WKR
I've done so much vane testing - both trying to be scientific and just redneck. Here's my conclusion - unless you're winning shoots on the regular you're not going to be able to measure the difference in accuracy between the vanes mentioned. Get above a >-.5" height and >=2" in length and you've got enough fletch. If you are having flight issues with that you're tune or broadhead choice needs questioned.

I've yet to have a vane increase my group size so long as I had enough on it in the first place. The primary difference in vanes is:
1) Adhesion
2) Durability
3) Noise

The Max Stealth's you're shooting does well at all of those. I wouldn't change for theoretical gains.

I've done all the reading on the IW studies. Makes perfect sense - here's a vane that fits what Bill describes that isn't often talked about. It's as high as a Max Hunter but the length of a blazer with that height further back. It's like a Q2i as well. Quieter than a Max Hunter, but no quieter than a blazer.

100 pack of these or normal Q2i for price of 40 IW vanes. Just sayin'

Takes 20-30 minutes to glue a vane per their instructions on the Super Sabre.

Before ordering, I thought it said 20-30 seconds, I figured no big deal.

First 3 fall off immediately, re-read instructions and see that I read what I wanted to, not what it said. Follow instructions and try them on 2 arrows, few shots and vanes still fall off.

I'm not saying you won't get them to stick, but I'm tired of jumping through hoops to get vane adhesion. Better things to do with my time when the differences between vanes is almost non-existent.

Buffalomtn

Lil-Rokslider
Takes 20-30 minutes to glue a vane per their instructions on the Super Sabre.

Before ordering, I thought it said 20-30 seconds, I figured no big deal.

First 3 fall off immediately, re-read instructions and see that I read what I wanted to, not what it said. Follow instructions and try them on 2 arrows, few shots and vanes still fall off.

I'm not saying you won't get them to stick, but I'm tired of jumping through hoops to get vane adhesion. Better things to do with my time when the differences between vanes is almost non-existent.
Not sure what you had going on but I have not have any problems getting the Super Sabres to adhere. My process, wipe shaft clean with acetone, primer pen then any super glue such as Bob Smith, wait 15 seconds. Can’t pull them off.

big44a4

WKR
As others have said you can barely outshoot the difference to notice. Also +1 super Sabre not sticking and not being quiet enough.

I use hybrid 26s and heat vanes on my setups and others I build.

Not sure what you had going on but I have not have any problems getting the Super Sabres to adhere. My process, wipe shaft clean with acetone, primer pen then any super glue such as Bob Smith, wait 15 seconds. Can’t pull them off.

Acetone shafts, wipe vane with alcohol til q-tip drags, glue on with super glue brush bottle like everything else.

I followed directions exactly, except for buying maxicure, I just use the same stuff I always use.

I'm sure you can get them to stick, but I did more than what I care to do as is, and I'm not doing more.

Cheap ass bohning vanes stick like nothing else and they require nothing special. The vane market is getting so boutique, and they are convincing customers to do more to the product so as a manufacturer, they don't. I go through too many vanes to waste energy on them.