DCA Super Sabre Vanes

Anyone else shooting these? When I saw these, I was real interested and since I love to tinker, bought a few dozen and started re-fletching.

Here's my thoughts on them;
When they arrived it said they were "optimized" for a 2.5 degree offset. Since none of my jigs adjust to half degree, I initially fletched at 3. I followed the instructions which said they are nearly a "lick em and stick em" adhesion. Simply wipe them with alcohol and put them on. I did prep with alcohol and used the recommended Loctite 401. The hell they do stick like that. I had a couple come off in flight and multiple just from being bumped with another arrow. I started checking them and they were all basically barely on. While shooting them in this configuration, they shot great. I can say my groups definitely tightened a little, though this was coming from a four fletch which may have been adding too much drag. Either way, they stablize the arrow very well.
Since I was going to refletch (again) decided to go with 2 degree. This time I started by recleaning each shaft with acetone, and then running acetone on a q-tip along the base of each vane before applying. Used the same glue. Now, they are on there like they are welded. The 2 degree has been a bit more accurate, I think. May be just that as it's gotten warmer, I'm spending more time shooting and able to stretch it out as well. Either way, I am impressed by the performance. The material seems good. Stiff, but not so stiff as to have no give when folded. They pop back relatively quick on a pass through hitting a soft spot on the target.

The one gripe I have is size consistency but this may just be my OCD. This last batch, I went with two yellow and one pink. The yellow are clearly a little longer than the pink. It's seriously maybe a 64th of an inch, but my OCD notices it every time. I'm one that will rip vanes off if not matched up perfectly and I've really had to stop myself. The weight consistency is good so I'm just wondering if it's a color thing where they needed just a touch more material to keep them weighted correctly.
Overall, very impressed. Flight is excellent. Material is great. As much as I can tell, a bit quieter in flight that my TAC Vanes that I had on.

I fletched a few dozen with the super Sabre 2.0s, and didn’t have any adhesion issues. I prepped with a q tip dipped in 90% alcohol on the base, and glued with the same glue I use for every fletch I’ve done the past 5 years or so - loctite professional.

Ill keep using stiffer blazer vanes, Easton bully or Vanetec HD, but the super sabres didn’t group better or worse with exodus, annihilator and grim reaper micro hades heads than those 2. I do have a quiver with the super sabres/annihilators ready to go.

This one was shot through a bag target 3 times. The front end of the vane got a bit deformed, but they are not coming off the arrow. Applying some heat from a blow dryer or heat gun with get the bully/vanetec to go back to their original shape. Doesn’t work on the super Sabres.

Definitely makes for an interesting looking arrow, I’d have no issue using them for hunting and 3D.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpeg
    IMG_2852.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 6BDADA75-E703-4C49-B878-BCAD38A743F3.jpeg
    6BDADA75-E703-4C49-B878-BCAD38A743F3.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I haven't tried the 2.0 version, but I tried the original and had very inconsistent results with adhesion. I tried the Loctite 401 as well as AAE Maxbond. I used 70% alcohol on the vanes and shafts. I tried new bare shafts as well as 2 different brands of wraps. It drove me crazy. When they stayed attached, they were fine. IMO, a little larger of a fletching than I'd prefer, but I can deal with that as I value performance over aesthetics. Ultimately, I went back to AAE Max Stealth.

I may try them again in the future, but I'll wait to see what others find.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I made some vaps for tac with some green 2.0s, I can’t tell if they are any quieter but they did well for me. I really only use max stealths so I fletched them with the same preparation and I can’t pull them off, I’ve put several through a block. I can’t find any negatives, I need to fletch some stealths and see if the drag is any better.
6f8457c34f9a2aec6a180992eb5b64ad.jpg

845f68386167d94ed0868e689b1dd4fe.jpg

fe439ec8e38d843d7867a2deecf7d1fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morphetm

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good luck with them sticking by using the prescribed method. A couple came loose, but that was probably me. I have had to replace a couple due to shooting through them before I started shooting spots in practice. I highly recommend them. My Exodus full blades shoot right with my field points.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am currently shooting the 2.0’s and the iron will hybrid hunters and despite what all the podcasts say, the super sabres are much quieter than the hybrid hunters. I had an an aae primer pen and max bond glue so that what I used and they are adhered very well. I’m not sure why a primer pen is being phased out and suggested that it’s not necessary when it ensures a very strong bond and takes an extra 5-10 seconds.

agood2255

FNG
I shot the originals hen moved to the V2s. I have had no issue with adhesion on either, and the new material stands up to pass through better. I am coming from max hunters but they are quieter, and stabilize just as well.