Irownwill AAE Hybrid Hunter Vane

JMichigan

FNG
Anyone try these out yet, what are your thoughts? Are they quieter than the Max Hunters? How is the durability? I have read that other AAE hybrid vanes are not as durable as the Max versions.

I hope Bill post the results from the test at some point. I'm thinking of trying the DCA Super Sabre vanes, a lot people seem to like those. I heard somewhere that the Super Sabre was in the test and the Ironwill Hybrids outperformed it.

I have shot them since they came out. I don’t think they are as durable as the Max stealths or tac drivers I was shooting that being said I’ve only put a hole in 1. They seem pretty quite I don’t have any experience with the max hunter to compare. I do really like the easy process just put glue on them they stick I missed that the last few years. I switched back to a 3 fletch from 4 I have been shooting they seem to steer an iron will wide just fine out to 70. I will hunt with them this year just playing with different helical and how far off the nock seeing what it does to my groups. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not shot them either. Big fan of the AAE Max Stealth in a 3 fletch. Q2I - 2.1” by 0.41 tall (shield cut) in an 4 fletch is a great option too. Also can’t leave out vanetec swift 2.25” vanes in a 4 fletch but they can get bent pretty easily and they are a much softer vane.

IMO the max stealth is one of, if not the best hunting vane on the market. Great balance of stiffness, overall size, and it is the quietest vane I have ever tested. Great for jumpy animals. Steers every broadhead I have ever shot just fine. A lot of people will get caught up in super long range accuracy but the reality is that most shots should be 60 or less IMO

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
I have shot them since they came out. I don’t think they are as durable as the Max stealths or tac drivers I was shooting that being said I’ve only put a hole in 1. They seem pretty quite I don’t have any experience with the max hunter to compare. I do really like the easy process just put glue on them they stick I missed that the last few years. I switched back to a 3 fletch from 4 I have been shooting they seem to steer an iron will wide just fine out to 70. I will hunt with them this year just playing with different helical and how far off the nock seeing what it does to my groups. Hope this helps

Appreciate the response! Have you shot any through the target? I'm assuming the hole was from a tight grouping. I've had that happen with blazers when shooting too close together. That's what I like the most about Max Stealths or Hunters, is that on a passthrough on an animal or the target they hold their shape and don't need need to replace a vane.

Yea the hole was from another arrow. I’ve shot a few through the target before I got new inserts they seemed to hold up just fine. They are very soft and seem to bend and come right back I haven’t noticed any being permanently bent. It would be a tough choice for me between the max stealth and these hunters if it wasn’t for just wanting to try something new.

You’ve probably heard this before but ultimately doing your own testing will be your best bet and maybe you already have. IMO accuracy is #1 so if that means shooting a vane that requires a little more maintenance then so be it. Archery can be so subjective when it comes to equipment so shoot as many options as you can and draw your own conclusions. Anyways, hope that helps some.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
You’ve probably heard this before but ultimately doing your own testing will be your best bet and maybe you already have. IMO accuracy is #1 so if that means shooting a vane that requires a little more maintenance then so be it. Archery can be so subjective when it comes to equipment so shoot as many options as you can and draw your own conclusions. Anyways, hope that helps some.
I agree 100%. I usually do end up just testing it on my own, I just like to get an idea of what others have experienced before I purchase it. If it has a lot of mixed reviews then I usually don't bother with it. Both companies have great products, so I doubt it's something I would regret.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Have not shot them either. Big fan of the AAE Max Stealth in a 3 fletch. Q2I - 2.1” by 0.41 tall (shield cut) in an 4 fletch is a great option too. Also can’t leave out vanetec swift 2.25” vanes in a 4 fletch but they can get bent pretty easily and they are a much softer vane.

IMO the max stealth is one of, if not the best hunting vane on the market. Great balance of stiffness, overall size, and it is the quietest vane I have ever tested. Great for jumpy animals. Steers every broadhead I have ever shot just fine. A lot of people will get caught up in super long range accuracy but the reality is that most shots should be 60 or less IMO
The max stealth is definitely all around one of the best vanes on the market. I never have tried Q2i, I hear great things though. Between the max stealth & hunter and blazer never really thought of trying anything else. I have found the higher profile helps at longer distances. But like you said, most shots are close range (after all that's what archery is all about, getting in close). I have found 50 yards there is no difference between vanes and different fletching configurations. It would be nice to try these hybrids, have them for longer shots out west and keep using max stealths for whitetails.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if you ever wound up doing any testing with these and how they performed? I've been messing around with a 4 fletch aae pro max and they are NOTICEABLY louder than a 3 fletch max stealth with a Arizona ez flex max helical

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Just wondering if you ever wound up doing any testing with these and how they performed? I've been messing around with a 4 fletch aae pro max and they are NOTICEABLY louder than a 3 fletch max stealth with a Arizona ez flex max helical
I tested 3 Max Stealth, 4 Max Stealth, 3 Blazer, 4 Tac Driver 2.75, 3 Iron Will Hybrids, 3 DCA Super Sabre (.55" tall), 3 mini DCA Super Sabre (.48").

4 feltch had 2 degree offset. 3 fletch all had 5 degree helical.

To answer your question if you don't want to read the whole post haha, the Iron Will Hybrids were the loudest I tried. I figured since I tested it and in case anyone else is in my position they can at least see my opinion on the these vanes and different configurations.

Arrow: 27.5" Victory RIP TKO. 150 point, 15 gr insert, 25 gr collar
Bow: Mathews Traverse 61# 28" Draw
Speed: 272 fps
Weight: 463gr-479 (DCA Super Sabre lightest-Max Stealh 4 Fletch)
I tested them at 85 yards with fixed blade heads. The Iron Will single bevel and Tuffhead 3 blade.

I'm no Levi Morgen, so any of this is just my opinion and experience from doing several test this summer.

Accuracy: The Tuffhead broadhead for whatever reason, the 3 fletch always shot better than the 4. Nothing ground breaking, the groupings were 1-3" larger on the 4 fletch vs 3 fletch. As far as the iron will I came to the conclusion they all shoot the same, and it really just depends more on the shooter. The Max stealths 3 and 4 fletch did shoot lower than the others. I don't have the equipment to test the speed down range at the target, but I didn't experience any parachuting effect. I tested even a 3 degree helical vs my 5 on the DCA Super Sabre and didn't have any noticeable difference at that 85 yard range. So, the only thing I could account for the drop was the arrow weight differences.

Crosswind: 3 fletch Max Stealth and both DCA Super Sabre (tall and minis) perform the best in a crosswind. 4 fletch drifted more than any of the other vanes and configurations.

Sound: I did't have a great way to measure sound other than with my phone and to have someone to stand off to the side and listen. This is where it got interesting because it was my Dad and he doesn't hunt. It was a good test to have someone with no experience with what arrows sound like to give some feedback. Quietest to Loudest: Tie: 3 fletch DCA Super Saber and Max Stealth, 4 Fletch Tac Driver 2.75, 4 fletch Max Stealth, 3 Fletch Blazer, and last 3 Fletch Iron Will Hybrid. Overall though, with a fixed head on the front, the sound issue in my opinion is splitting hairs. Blazer and Iron Will Hybrid were the only two that still had a noticeable louder hiss.

Durability: They all are plenty durable and this is being shot through BLOB target. So, through an animal I would expect them all to come out okay and the arrow to be able to be used again (as long as the arrow or inserts don't take any damage). The Iron Will Hybrid was probably the worst at retaining shape. Nothing that would affect the performance. The Tac vanes surprised me, with how stiff they are and reading about them not holding shape I was expecting them to be destroyed. They actually do retain their shape really well. Even being folded over if I left it for a day it was back to its original shape without applying heat. Not retaining shape is what convinced me to not use the Iron Will Hybrid.

Ease of Setup: Iron Will Hybrid, Blazer, Tie: Max Stealth and DCA Super Sabre, Tac Vanes. DCA Super Sabre advertise that a primer pen is not required, but with my wraps they were not adhering that well at first, but a primer pen resolved the issue. Iron Will and Blazer are the only two that don't require a primer. The thin base of the tac vanes quickly made me toss those out for even considering using them.

In my final opinion: Any of them will work for most arrow setups. If you shoot a larger broadhead, I could see 4 fletch and the taller vanes being the clear winners as far as groupings at long distance. I also read that if you shoot a heavy arrow that the 4 fletch is recommended. Taking the time tune the bow and arrow setup is what matters most. 4 fletch definitely hides any tuning issues better than a 3.

I decided try out the DCA Super Sabres Mini this season. Prior to this season I've been between max stealths 3 and 4 fletch. I'm definitely liking lower profile vanes for getting a little more clearance and 3 fletch for one saving time. I'm always back and forth on the looks 3 vs 4, but lately liked the looks of the 3. As long as the vane isn't too low of a profile, arrow setup (weight and broadhead) determines if an extra or taller vane is needed, wind drift if that is important in the area you hunt, what one looks "cool" to you, time to setup and last sound. Other than that they are all going to shoot fairly the same and do the job.

Thanks for the review. I found the Max Stealth and TAC very similar in noise. I just can’t get on board with the hybrid material. Too weak..

To answer your question if you don't want to read the whole post haha, the Iron Will Hybrids were the loudest I tried. I figured since I tested it and in case anyone else is in my position they can at least see my opinion on the these vanes and different configurations.

Sound: I did't have a great way to measure sound other than with my phone and to have someone to stand off to the side and listen. This is where it got interesting because it was my Dad and he doesn't hunt. It was a good test to have someone with no experience with what arrows sound like to give some feedback...................

Not calling you a liar, but sound is very much a user perceived thing. Rifle/Pistol suppressors are an easy to understand use case for this. Pitch Frequency and Decibels will play tricks on you. You did hit the nail on the head when you said "my opinion" because thats generally how most product reviews go.

Sound down range vs Sound at the shooters ear vs sound at the muzzle are all very different measurements. As a hunter I don't care if my ear perceives the fletchings to be as loud as a jumbo jet 500 ft over my head, as long as its not spooking the animal

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Want some to test?

I don't care for them for a variety of reasons and will be moving back to my Bohning Heat vanes.

I'll mail you whats left
If he doesnt I would gladly. I am super curious how much different they are between the max hunters and pro max.

I’ve hunted with them this year been mostly happy with the vanes. I don’t think they are quieter than the max stealths I hunted with before I’m still on the fence if I go back to max stealth or shoot the iron wills again.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Idk how long is appropriate to wait. Let's give it a few days. Say, if they aren't claimed by Friday, send me a message with an address and I'll send them your way
Oh yea by no means want to step on any toes. Let me know. Thanks dude!

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted with them this year been mostly happy with the vanes. I don’t think they are quieter than the max stealths I hunted with before I’m still on the fence if I go back to max stealth or shoot the iron wills again.

They definitely will not be quieter than max stealth's due to the steeper leading edge.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Not calling you a liar, but sound is very much a user perceived thing. Rifle/Pistol suppressors are an easy to understand use case for this. Pitch Frequency and Decibels will play tricks on you. You did hit the nail on the head when you said "my opinion" because thats generally how most product reviews go.

Sound down range vs Sound at the shooters ear vs sound at the muzzle are all very different measurements. As a hunter I don't care if my ear perceives the fletchings to be as loud as a jumbo jet 500 ft over my head, as long as its not spooking the animal
Isn't most forums on the internet opinions haha? And with an opinion there is always someone that will disagree. I agree that at different locations the sound will be different and I don't have the equipment for testing that data. Even then it's irrelevant, because its not being tested on animals....and that isn't enough because one deer could be really skittish and the next calm as can be.

If you read the entire review you would actually be calling my Dad a liar as he was standing down range and was ranking them loudest to quietest hahaha. As I mentioned he doesn't hunt, so it was actually a good way for a non biased person to see if there are any differences. As I stated with a fixed blade on the front the sound between any of them are barely noticeable (with blazer and are hybrids being still slightly louder), that's measuring with what fancy equipment I had (my phone and my Dad's ears with him down range and off to the side). My phone by the way was right next to the target when I recorded, but it really noticeable difference so I went with what my Dad heard. I didn't go into detail, because one thing you perceived is that it's a big issue for me.

I didn't say sound was a deal breaker, just sharing my experience and what my Dad heard. I hunted with blazers with ironwill vented heads (one of the loudest arrows I've shot) and I killed several Michigan public land bucks with that setup. And I shared my opinion on the matter, because for some people sound is a deal breaker. I have spent my fair share of wasting money on things and joining forums and reading post have helped my decision when buying new gear. In the end everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. I at least thought it would be nice to give the person asking if they are loud a in depth review of all of the vanes I tried.

Good luck the rest of the season!

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Want some to test?

I don't care for them for a variety of reasons and will be moving back to my Bohning Heat vanes.

I'll mail you whats left
Thanks for the offer. I have some and they were great for mechanicals but not the best for my fixed blades.