Iron Will Wide 100 Review, By Les Welch

Lets say you were planning on putting 150 grains and a IW broadhead on the front of an arrow. Is there any reason to prefer a 100 gr BH and 50 gr insert over a 125 gr broadhead and 25 gr insert? Are the 125 gr IW BHs stronger than the 100 gr?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lets say you were planning on putting 150 grains and a IW broadhead on the front of an arrow. Is there any reason to prefer a 100 gr BH and 50 gr insert over a 125 gr broadhead and 25 gr insert? Are the 125 gr IW BHs stronger than the 100 gr?

Good question. With our V-Series, the v100 and v125 have nearly identical strength, with our S-Series they are very close, but the ferrule has a little more material in the s125, in our wide series, the wide125 is stronger than the wide100. All of these heads are plenty strong enough to pass through bone undamaged.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good job on the review. It finally pushed me over the edge to get a mixed six pack of 125s.
@Bill V Is there a rokslide discount code or anything available?

Actually, we don't ever discount our broadheads. With our materials and manufacturing processes making up a majority of our selling price, we have them priced as low as we can.

mtnkid85

WKR
Actually, we don't ever discount our broadheads. With our materials and manufacturing processes making up a majority of our selling price, we have them priced as low as we can.
Thanks for the quick response Bill, I just saw the little discount box on checkout and thought Id ask here.

Scottyboy

WKR
Is it just me, or does the wide series not “whistle” the same as the standard broadheads? I’ve been shooting the 100gr wides for the cold bow challenges and was shocked at how quiet they are (not that I was expecting them to be loud...just thought it would be similar to the standard heads I’ve been shooting for the last 2 years)

After 5 shots with these, I will be grabbing a 6 pack very soon!

TheViking

WKR
Is it just me, or does the wide series not “whistle” the same as the standard broadheads? I’ve been shooting the 100gr wides for the cold bow challenges and was shocked at how quiet they are (not that I was expecting them to be loud...just thought it would be similar to the standard heads I’ve been shooting for the last 2 years)

After 5 shots with these, I will be grabbing a 6 pack very soon!

How far ya shooting?

Scottyboy

WKR
How far ya shooting?

50yds. I’m going to shoot the standards in a few days, but I’m certain those make a noticeable whistle whereas the wides do not. Could be playing mind games with myself of course. Going to shoot the wides out to 70 just to see how they fly, but realistically will be keeping these to 50 from everything I’ve been reading

Evo9037

FNG
Certainly like the durability standpoint just wish they had a bigger wound channel.

Scottyboy

WKR
Certainly like the durability standpoint just wish they had a bigger wound channel.

the wound channel will be bigger/more devastating than you might think, I was certainly surprised at my first opportunity with the standard head.
10DADA94-AA78-4C82-AC01-2D297CA3579B.jpeg

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We shot several hogs with the wide series broadheads last week. The results were impressive including a downward pass through the spine and two double shoulder blade/shield pass throughs. One of those with a recurve at 35 yards.

wide_hole.jpg

hog2020a.jpg

KBC

WKR
Noob question; I have 3 of the regular 125 vented heads. Would I be cool grabbing 3 of the wide ones and shoot one of those first on anything up to moose out to 50 yards? Then have the regular size ones if I need a follow up shot at further distances that might fly closer to my field points(sight tape)? I just got the regulars in the mail so I haven't shot them yet to see how far I can go with them but I'm reading they fly with the field points a bit farther than the wides.

TheViking

WKR
Noob question; I have 3 of the regular 125 vented heads. Would I be cool grabbing 3 of the wide ones and shoot one of those first on anything up to moose out to 50 yards? Then have the regular size ones if I need a follow up shot at further distances that might fly closer to my field points(sight tape)? I just got the regulars in the mail so I haven't shot them yet to see how far I can go with them but I'm reading they fly with the field points a bit farther than the wides.

That’s pretty much my plan for elk. The wides fly really awesome - they group out to 60 with field point and regular head. The wide will be #1 in my quiver for elk unless it’s a real long shot, or I know I’ll have a frontal or hard quartering to shot. (Elk coming up the trail at me)

I shoot a big heavy bow. Not worried about penetration issues. 78# VXR - 29.5” draw - 555 grain arrow.

Aboyer35

FNG
Wow, the size difference is significant.
I think that Bills recommendation for deer and black bear size game under 50 yards is going to be spot on.
These are profiled significantly bigger then standards. I my experience at longer distances hend this size will be more touchy. No doubt they will take more force to push on though game.
One or two might find my way into my quiver elk or moose for the odd spots where i know for a fact the shot is going to be in my lap. Otherwise I am sticking to the standard size.
The blades fit the standard ferrules also FYI.
Here is side buy side with vented 125 regulars vs 125 wides.
cdfecd5f823d514aeb8eef4f1769bea4.jpg
You notice any noise in flight down range?

KBC

WKR
Right on thanks. I need a scale to figure out what I’m pulling but it’s a 70lb axius ultra maxed out, 29.5” dl and 510 grain arrow so I think I’m ok as well for penetration. But I guess you are bigger....hahaha;)