Mathews Phase 4 Review, By Les Welch

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I‘m running this bow 2023 too based on feedback from Les while he was reviewing his.

I just got it set up Saturday and it’s a whole new level of quiet/low vibration. Very happy. I’ll post more on here as soon as I have my pics from my phone to share.

I‘m running this bow 2023 too based on feedback from Les while he was reviewing his.

I just got it set up Saturday and it’s a whole new level of quiet/low vibration. Very happy. I’ll post more on here as soon as I have my pics from my phone to share.

Welcome to the dark side.....

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW,

The last two years model bow performance comparison test for me was...

V3X - 33": Draw weight of 66.8lbs, 29" DL, 273fps w/460gr arrow
Phase 4 - 33": Draw weight of 66.4lbs, 29" DL, 274fps w/460gr arrow

Basically the same bow, obviously. These are both 65lbs limb sets with the exact same component sets on both. The only thing I really notice is that the Phase 4 is legitimately a little quieter with just a touch less hand vib at the shot. Other than that, the draw cycles are identical to me. Same great hold, valley and back wall. The dip/finish on the Phase 4 is slightly rougher than on the V3X (I shoot side plates only on Mathews), like one grit coarser if you were to use sandpaper as a comparison. My favorite bow(s) of all time....I really can't tell a noticeable difference in shooting them side-by-side based on feel other than noise.

My $.02

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
FWIW,

The last two years model bow performance comparison test for me was...

V3X - 33": Draw weight of 66.8lbs, 29" DL, 273fps w/460gr arrow
Phase 4 - 33": Draw weight of 66.4lbs, 29" DL, 274fps w/460gr arrow

Basically the same bow, obviously. These are both 65lbs limb sets with the exact same component sets on both. The only thing I really notice is that the Phase 4 is legitimately a little quieter with just a touch less hand vib at the shot. Other than that, the draw cycles are identical to me. Same great hold, valley and back wall. The dip/finish on the Phase 4 is slightly rougher than on the V3X (I shoot side plates only on Mathews), like one grit coarser if you were to use sandpaper as a comparison. My favorite bow(s) of all time....I really can't tell a noticeable difference in shooting them side-by-side based on feel other than noise.

My $.02
And we appreciate your two cents.

I have the Phase 4 (my first Mathews) and it’s the first bow I don’t need my wrist strap for. I shoot a really light grip and have dropped bows with more ”recoil”. The Phase 4 is so quiet and shock free, my first arrow I shot I thought something was wrong. LOL.

thanks for chiming in man

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I just traded for a Phase 4 33 this week. It is a very nice bow, but when you consider the added tech and accessories, it's on a different level.

It came with the SAS, SCS, limb legs, 4 grips including a flat back UV, and a Mathews Sling. I used the Stay Afield System to install a peep and it was quick qnd painless. My Fast Eddie XL, Axcel Accutouch Carbon, and Lanslyde Carbon all work in the Bridgelock sight mount. I bought a Vaportrail GI8 Integrate arrow rest.

I have heard some who don't like the switchweight tech, but for me it was a strong point. I am running the 65lb max 28.5" 85% mods and love the draw.

The accessories are kinda pricey, but add a lot of value to the package. I am not sold on the Bridgelock stabilizer system yet because they stabs are very pricey, and a regular stab with a quick disconnect serve my purposes.

I haven't shot it enough yet to say it shoots better than the Prime Revex 4, but I am taking it to the 3d range today.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm super happy with it guys. I've shot all of the TAC's so far this year, and this thing is a shooter no question. It makes me look good. (From a shooting standpoint I mean, I'm still ugly AF) I'll be setting up the 29" here soon.

GreggB

FNG
Many of my customers mistakenly think the the only options for accessories are those that fit the bridgelock riser. Any standard archery accessories will fit the usual mounting options. This includes the rest, sight and stabilizers. With that said, the feeing of moving everything to the center of the riser really improves the overall feel and balance of the bow. Id like to see them do it on their TRX series or their future target bows.

TheTone

WKR
Many of my customers mistakenly think the the only options for accessories are those that fit the bridgelock riser. Any standard archery accessories will fit the usual mounting options. This includes the rest, sight and stabilizers. With that said, the feeing of moving everything to the center of the riser really improves the overall feel and balance of the bow. Id like to see them do it on their TRX series or their future target bows.
Hard to think they wouldn’t, at least with the sight

Purchased a phase 4 33 a couple months ago and man this bow is a tac driver. Love the switch weight mods so you can play around with holding weight and let off.

Phase 4 29
75# 80%
29” draw length
292 FPS
475 grain arrow

Switched from a vertix that I loved, but it was time to upgrade. So far I absolutely love it, no hugely apparent performance enhancement over the vertix. But as stated above the quietness and lack of vibration are amazing.

Solid bow it sounds like, or rather doesn't sound at all. Good to hear with how quiet it seems.

TSAMP

WKR
Just came back from the bowshop. Shot a hoyt vtm 31, rx7, and the phase 4. All at 29" 70lbs. I am a lefty and had all but decided a rx7 was for me driving there. I picked the phase 4 last only because I wanted to try something with a longer ATA for comparison. Boy am I glad I did. My first shot I knew it was what I was buying. The rx7 felt like I was Zues shooting thunder bolts, it was fine just very Aggressive. The mathews was a true joy to shoot. Maybe I'm just getting old but I'll give up 10-15 fps for comfort like that.

Now im on here checking out reviews and accessories before I order this bad boy

Pullum

FNG
Nice! You wont regret it. All the new bows are good, just comes down to personal preference.

Grundy53

WKR
I bought a phase4 a few months ago. It's a pleasure to shoot and very quiet. I can't wait to take it hunting.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk