Mathews Phase 4 Review, By Les Welch

TSAMP

WKR
Whats everyone's accessories of choice? I liked the look of the low pro quiver, and rest, the mathews sight and the stabilizer just seemed expensive amd kind of a gimmick. I've literally hunted an entire season without a stabilizer amd never noticed so no, I'm not paying $250 for one.

twall13

WKR
Whats everyone's accessories of choice? I liked the look of the low pro quiver, and rest, the mathews sight and the stabilizer just seemed expensive amd kind of a gimmick. I've literally hunted an entire season without a stabilizer amd never noticed so no, I'm not paying $250 for one.
I really like the quiver. It's incredibly streamlined and tight to the bow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Aklint

FNG
Can anyone comment on the phase 4 29 shooting at distance, 70 yards plus? I am used to longer ATA bows and love to practice out to 100. I just bought the 29 and have not had the chance to shoot at distance yet and am wondering if I should have ordered the 33?!

zusmc

FNG
And we appreciate your two cents.

I have the Phase 4 (my first Mathews) and it’s the first bow I don’t need my wrist strap for. I shoot a really light grip and have dropped bows with more ”recoil”. The Phase 4 is so quiet and shock free, my first arrow I shot I thought something was wrong. LOL.

thanks for chiming in man
Robby, I'm looking at getting a Phase 4 or Lift. Has anyone shot both and what are the differences? Also, should I go with the 29 or 33? Thank you all for your responses in advance.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, I'm looking at getting a Phase 4 or Lift. Has anyone shot both and what are the differences? Also, should I go with the 29 or 33? Thank you all for your responses in advance.
hey

@les welch is your man.

Les?

(you can also hit him on IG if you're on there.)

I'm shooting my Phase for for 2024, fyi. Still very happy with it.

jbgillies

FNG
Have a V3X currently and can’t justify the upgrade for such a nominal increase in performance. Not to mention having to re-buy stabilizers..
Was just having a similar discussion with some friends on the range yesterday. Chasing minor improvements are probably worth it for the Cam Hanes, John Dudley types, but for what we're doing and looking for out of the bow, stick with what you got until A) you're better and the slightest mod's make a bigger difference, or B) wait out for significant change in technology. Mind you, these are my friends shooting Hoyt's and Bowtech's with much more experience shooting/ hunting than myself.

Personally have been eye-balling a LIFT or Phase 4 to upgrade from my PSE NXT, but frankly, not sure I'm good enough to have a $2K setup make that big of a difference until I get more reps in.

Swampwise

FNG
I’ve never had a matthews because I don’t like to go with the popular options usually because I’m weird, but a phase 4 33 makes me consider it!
Same here. Chose Bear because they get drug and beat down but I've enjoyed my flagships from them. Almost bought the Vertix because of switch weight. Imo it's the best system out there too. Bought the V3X because of the limb legs honestly. I hunt from the ground a lot and had to try it. Once tuned to the best of my abilities there's not much difference in the newer Bears and Mathews performance, with a an edge to the Refine and Execute 32 and a wash on sound. After that Mathews takes the cake with Switchweight, much better quiver setup, engage limb legs, just a very nice system. Have no use for Bridgelock stabilizers much prefer Stokerized Stasis set ups to a front and back bar. Thought about the Lift but ain't waiting for that long. Being a lefty too doesn't help. May find one in stock or used but at this point prolly just see what comes next year. IMO Bear screwed the pooch this year, not that many care, by only releasing a short ata bow but that thing is quiet. Mikes Archery got his lowest sound reading ever this year with the Persist by a pretty large margin and Bear is never a slouch on speeds. If you took Mathews system and added Bears hinge roller guide system and Bears 3 options of grip from the factory and there level in the riser I'd buy two, one short and one long.
Left out a determining factor for many. The resale on Bear is dismal at best and Mathews holds their value the best. Plus any part for any any bow can't be beat, only matched. Yet no one is matching.