Upgrade from Exodus to Iron Will??

Hello to all,

I am currently using QAD Exodus 100 grain broadheads and am wondering if I should upgrade to some Iron Will broadheads. Looking at either the SB normal or SB wide. I’ve never been let down by the exodus, but I like the fact that the IWs are reusable and can be resharpened. I know the exodus’s have the replacement blades. Is it worth the upgrade? How hard is it to get the IWs tuned? I am currently using full metal jack arrows. Would I need to get a new arrow too? I will be predominantly hunting whitetail with the occasional elk. Will be shooting a Mathews Lift 33. Thanks for the help!

let your credit card be your guide.
The IW blades are TOUGH... I skipped one off an aluminum ladder, still good, Another one I put through a vertabrae of a deer. Still sharp and zero blade chipping or edge roll

Exodus is reusable, don't need replacement blades unless you really destroy the blades. About same as IW.

Only negative I have to say about the IW is the rust and they can be loud in flight. Easy to keep them treated, not much to do about the noise of the vented. They retain a good edge and are durable, just pretty expensive.

The overall durability is better with the IW in my experience, but it's hard to find much wrong with a swept Exodus either.

No guarantees that putting an IW wide on you won't need to fine tune a little more, but it's just going to depend on how well your setup is currently tuned. I find the swept Exodus to be a pretty forgiving head, a standard vented IW is pretty forgiving as well.

Bump79

WKR
Give the IW a try. No reason not to, maybe you'll really like them. But I would consider the move a change and not necessarily an "upgrade". I really like the Exodus head.
Cost is a good reason not too :)

I'm not completely sold on the high cost head concept. The guarantee doesn't mean much to me because I tend to lose heads, not break them. If $45-$70 heads are performing then I don't see the reason to upgrade for 2-3x the cost. Dead is dead.

I still shoot an exodus head, however I just bought some Iron Will solids and stiffer spined arrows for them. I will let you know how testing works out once I get to shoot them.

TX_Diver

WKR
Cost and sharpening are the major downsides to the IW. A buddy had pretty poor blood trails with them on 2-3 animals but ultimately that's a pretty small sample size so I can't say that's a definitive thing.

Due to how long it took to sharpen them, and cost, I ended up switching from IW to the cutthroat 3 blades and have been happy. They are extremely durable, easy to sharpen, and they are pretty compact still so I have found them to fly very well. Only shot an elk and a turkey with them so far but good results on both.

Just something else to consider from someone who previously used IW heads. The cutthroats aren't cheap but they still seem like a "premium" head and if you're considering IW then the cost of the cutthroats should seem pretty reasonable!

WoodBow

WKR
The primary reason I shoot IWs is for edge retention. I can shoot one into a block target 4 times and it will still shave. I'm not sure anything else I have shot can do that after 1 shot. I think it is super important for a blade to stay as sharp as possible all the way through the animal. Bill really nerds out on the engineering and I trust him.

Fullfan

WKR
Do no drink the IW cool aid. I did the same thing several years ago to the tune for 350-400.00. Agree the IW will hold an edge, but they will do nothing that the QAD or Magnus will not. Their warrantee is a joke, have a s100 that has never been hunted but shot several times into a Reinhart. The bleeder blades are loose, I have tried everything, and it is still loose. Contacted IW and sent them a video, was told don't worry about it. IW replacement blades are 45.00 for 3. also.

I went back to the QAD and Black hornets, 1/3 the cost, plus Magnus has a no questions asked warrantee.

RDO34

FNG
I quickly found out that I liked the idea of IW's reusability/durability and used that to justify the price. What I don't like so much is the care and sharpening. It's just another thing that needs done in the offseason. I have a young family and a demanding job so it's a nagging chore I didn't foresee when I made the purchase. The steel grade is awesome for edge retention and durability but the trade off is less resistance to corrosion. After shooting or a day in the elements, IWs need to be cleaned, oiled and put back into the case to avoid rust spots.

That being said, I have had mine for 2 years. I have killed a few deer, missed two and bounced them around the woods with no noticeable damage or changes in arrow flight. The single bevels flew great OTB and required minimal adjustments to my set up. Just make sure to match up your fletching offset/helical to the bevel of the broadhead.

cjdewese

WKR
I am actually going the other way. Used exodus before, got a 6 pack of Iron Wills from the cold bow challenge and shot them last year.

They fly good and are sharp as hell but keeping them that sharp and rust free was a challenge last year for me.

I like how easy the exodus are with the replacement blades or even resharpening them using the replacement blade stay sharp.

socoalt

WKR
The sharpening is tougher with all the angles and the tough steel. Plus the rusting is a minor p.i.a. Other than that one of the toughest heads you can get. Look at em as an investment and realize they come with a little maintenance.

ndfb35

FNG
I went from premium broadheads (Iron Will and Valykrie) to Exodus and everything I've shot with the Exodus dies just as quickly as the IW. You don't need to but if you want to, sharpening the blades on an Exodus is simple and makes them even more appealing.

I’ve gone from replacement blades on many different broadheads to solid blade and sharpening. I’m going back to replacement blades and will be shooting either exodus or wacem. Replacing the blades is a much easier and cheaper option. The blades are razor sharp and can be easily touched up if desired. Don’t go down the rabbit hole and just keep it simple. It’s like 4 vanes and collars. No need for it.

IMO, the Iron Will heads are overrated. Yes they are made of great materials. So are many other heads that you can get for far less. I’ve never felt they are great in flight and take a bit more to tune them.

I’m far more interested in the Evolution Outdoors heads and think they will be a better option with more cut and just as durable.

Lowg08

WKR
After what I seen a was exodus do on a bear yesterday. I’m buying qad exodus. Cleanest rib bone cuts I’ve ever scene. No damage. 35 yards pass through. Great blood trail. I didn’t kill it but was there for the after math and breaking it down. It’s an exceptional head